Cell: A Novel by Stephen King

Cell: A Novel (edition 2006)

by Stephen King

7,589217450 (3.45)1 / 146
Member:jamiesonwolf
Title:Cell: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Star (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

Cell by Stephen King

John Dies at the End by David Wong (ACannon92)
    Dead Sea by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)
    Primitive by J. F. Gonzalez (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The situations in both books are somewhat similar.

English (198)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (216)
futuristic and scary. I forgot how much I enjoyed king.but after all these years he still delivers a great story ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I'll say this a million times, but I am a sucker for apocalyptic stories. I just love it, no matter how cheesy it is. I honestly felt that Cell by Stephen King was phenomenal. I can't understand how someone wouldn't enjoy this book. I was hooked from the first page. I literally couldn't put it down. The characters seemed a little bland at times, but overall I thought that Clay was a badass. It's not zombies, it's something new, something fresh, and I think that's why some people might have hated it. They complain about the overuse of the living dead, but when someone tries to shake up the theme, it gets back lash. Screw that. Cell was a great read, it's officially one of my favorites, and I think it deserves five stars. ( )
  nikkiplusbooks | Aug 1, 2014 |
At first glance, this book reminded me a lot of the movie, The Happening...which was a terrible movie. However, this book wasn't terrible. This leads me to believe that perhaps Happening could have been wayyyy better as a book.

The premise of the book is a great one. As a person who is attached to my cell phone, this book gave me the creeps. On October 1st, something goes wrong. Every cell phone on Earth begins sending out a signal, the 'Pulse', which essentially drives whoever is talking on the phone (or even near enough to a phone to hear the pulse...) BAM! You've got a one way ticket to Crazyville, Population: EVERYONE who has a cell phone.

There was some discussion in the book about this being a terrorist act (but in the end, this was never established). And on that count, creating something that makes every cell phone user insane is BRILLIANT. Just think about it, what would YOU do if you saw everyone going crazy, in the homicidal-kill-you-with-anything-I-have-including-my-teeth way? I don’t know about you, but I’d pick up my phone and call someone to ask, “WTF?” And then I’d be a crazy.

In this respect, I really love this book. There were times it was repetitive, and times when I didn’t necessarily agree with what the characters did/thought…but all in all it’s a great dystopia book—perhaps the first I have read by King.
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book starts out with a bang and gets really interesting really quickly. Unfortunately, it gets pretty boring about halfway through. ( )
  zophar53 | May 18, 2014 |
If you have ever worried that using mobile phones might scramble your brain, Stephen King suggests you may just be right. It all happens at 3.02pm one afternoon, when everyone in the world using a cellphone suddenly becomes a violent maniac.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, Matthew Lewin (Feb 25, 2006)

Stephen King is supposed to have retired. A year ago, he published the final part of his seven-book Dark Tower saga with the book of the same name - a novel so crushingly disappointing that, reluctantly, all but King's most ardent fans were forced to agree with the author himself that it was probably time for him to stop and enjoy the royalties from his 40 or so bestsellers.

Cell is Stephen King's first full-length novel since his threatened retirement in 2003. Of course, this most prolific of authors has not been idle during this period, penning a collaborative non-fiction book about baseball, a regular column for the popular US magazine Entertainment Weekly, several short stories, and even a short (and slightly puzzling) noir novel, The Colorado Kid, for small publisher Hard Case Crime. This is the first of two new novels to be published this year, with Lisey's Story to follow in October.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (Feb 12, 2006)

This is the way the world ends... not with a bang, but a whimper.
— T. S. Elliot

Actually, it ends with a "pulse" -- an errant cell phone signal that wipes away the user's humanity, 'rebooting' their brain back to something basic... primordial... and evil. Even those within earshot of the gray matter draining signal suffer a kind of evolutionary epilepsy, reverting to a state of pure impulse and mental confusion. As the feeling consumes its host, madness takes over, and there is only one way to satisfy this cruel craving. The insanity must be met with violence, quelling the instinctual bloodlust that lay dormant inside every person's DNA. Thus the world ends, and it's the very people who protected and prospered upon it who are now intent on taking it down.
added by stephmo | editPop Matters, Bill Gibron (Feb 9, 2006)

If the stretch of years between Sept. 11 and last fall's Kashmir earthquake has reminded us of anything, it's that history can take a drastic turn in one day. Stephen King jumps into the middle of one such day on the opening pages of Cell, his first full-length novel since he came off what has to be the shortest-ever retirement not involving professional boxing. Happily wandering Boston after selling a comic-book pitch, artist Clay Riddell watches as the world goes mad when a mind-wiping electronic pulse turns everyone using a cell phone into a violent zombie.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The id will not stand for a delay in gratification. It always feels the tension of the unfulfilled urge. - Sigmund Freud
Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualized aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal. - Konrad Lorenz
Can you hear me now? - Verizon
For Richard Matheson and George Romero
The event that came to be known as The Pulse began at 3:03 p.m., eastern standard time, on the afternoon of October 1.

Cell is an apocalyptic horror novel concerning a New England artist struggling to reunite with his young son after a mysterious signal broadcast over the global cell-phone network turns masses of his fellow humans into zombies.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743292332, Hardcover)

Witness Stephen King's triumphant, blood-spattered return to the genre that made him famous. Cell, the king of horror's homage to zombie films (the book is dedicated in part to George A. Romero) is his goriest, most horrific novel in years, not to mention the most intensely paced. Casting aside his love of elaborate character and town histories and penchant for delayed gratification, King yanks readers off their feet within the first few pages; dragging them into the fray and offering no chance catch their breath until the very last page.

In Cell King taps into readers fears of technological warfare and terrorism. Mobile phones deliver the apocalypse to millions of unsuspecting humans by wiping their brains of any humanity, leaving only aggressive and destructive impulses behind. Those without cell phones, like illustrator Clayton Riddell and his small band of "normies," must fight for survival, and their journey to find Clayton's estranged wife and young son rockets the book toward resolution.

Fans that have followed King from the beginning will recognize and appreciate Cell as a departure--King's writing has not been so pure of heart and free of hang-ups in years (wrapping up his phenomenal Dark Tower series and receiving a medal from the National Book Foundation doesn't hurt either). "Retirement" clearly suits King, and lucky for us, having nothing left to prove frees him up to write frenzied, juiced-up horror-thrillers like Cell. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:29 -0400)

It may seem odd, but it's true--something as simple as one phone call can change the world forever. And that's exactly what happenes on October 1, when a single pulse is simultaneously transmitted through every cell phone on the planet. After the Pulse, an unspeakable transformation occurs. People everywhere begin devolving into inhuman killing machines--and civilization as we know it grinds to a halt in a terrifying riot of violence.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,335,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible