In His Sights: A True Story of Love and…

In His Sights: A True Story of Love and Obsession

by Kate Brennan

Recently added byEridanos, BNPLibrary, Manina, cctesttc1, private library, KimSalyers, jodiesohl, jodiebooks, EadieB
    The Bed I Made by Lucie Whitehouse (bibliobeck)
    bibliobeck: A fictionalised account of a woman trying to flee her stalker
    Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes (bibliobeck)
    bibliobeck: A fictional, but harrowing account of an abusive stalker. The reader feels the genuine upset of the stalked, but the tale isn't gratuitously told.

English (5)  Dutch (4)  All (9)
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book, which is a typical reaction for a memoir. Memoirists always come off as narcissistic because the stories are told from their perspective, and we all have warped ideas about our flaws, so I expected to not feel completely "warm and fuzzy" toward the author. And, really, she wasn't that bad when it came to glorifying herself. I think that's what made it such a hard read. Even when she felt good about herself, you could tell that her background had made her more prone to bouts of lower self-esteem. And those moments were a little trigger-y for me, so that made me feel even worse about this book.

The writing was okay. I would have considered it great if the writer weren't a lecturer of college English classes. I expected more from her, but it was very bland and was often a bit repetitive.

I tried not to judge her personal decisions too much, but I did judge the way that she handled them with the book. I understand why she would want to give anonymity to herself, her friends, and her family. I also understand why she would have to extend that anonymity to the stalker. The problem with all of this is that changing a person's name in a book doesn't necessarily guarantee that you are keeping their identity secret. When she gave specific dates and details of things, specifically of the stalker's father's murder, that little creepy curiosity that lies within my brain had me Googling things. And within a very short amount of time, I had figured out who the stalker's father was and, from the details she gave, who the stalker is. It was also easy to figure out the city she lived in through the majority of the book and the university that she worked at. If she was so used to living under the radar, I would hope that she would have known how to be a bit more secretive. I believe that she has been stalked and that her stalker may be continuing his torment of her, but I think that this book, as it was written, was a really bad idea. It seems to be more of something that would provoke some sort of badness in her life.

As I mentioned earlier, there were some things that were triggering. His emotional abuse of her during the relationship, as well as the events that occurred afterward, were very disturbing. There are some sexual things that "Paul" said about underage girls that were quite disgusting/disturbing. Those things alone might keep some people from reading this book, and you should know that they are in the book before you stumble across them. There are also mentions of incest and alcoholism.

Anyway, the book didn't really teach me anything I didn't already know about stalking. It is intriguing to read about, but I wish that she had been more emotive in the story. It almost felt like she was dissociating in some parts of the story. It's interesting, but it isn't really something that I think anyone must read. Basically, it doesn't suck, but people might find it to be a decent read. ( )
  janersm | Jan 15, 2014 |
Once I started this book, I could not put it down. It sucked me in and I stayed with "Kate" throughout the whole thing. It was a sad story and it stuck with me long after I put the book down. I think this would be a good read for women and I think anyone who reads it will sympathize with the author. ( )
  Angelic55blonde | Sep 7, 2011 |
Kate was an independent, successful single woman when she met Paul, a wealthy, charismatic businessman. His polished charm and relentless wooing won Kate's heart. But only when they moved in together did Kate discover the serial infidelity , unbalanced character and sordid secrets of her Mr Right. When she tries to end the relationship, he won't let her...
  RapeCrisisScotland | Apr 4, 2011 |
I don't normally read a book in a couple of days, as I'm generally a slow, ponderous reader, but this was so fascinating and compelling I just had to finish it. I feel admiration for the author to keep fully living, rather than just surviving, in this appalling situation. It beggars belief that a man could spend (waste) his life doing this to someone. But it occurred to me that the author has experienced love, whereas the stalker evidently has never known real love, only manipulation and lies. ( )
  JuliaF | Jun 15, 2009 |
This book will stay with me for a long time. I finished reading it this morning and have been thinking about it all day. This is Kate's (not her real name) story of a life altered by a stalker: a man declaring love but understanding nothing except power, control & fear. Kate is such a brave soul - not just the enforced bravery of living her life on the run, but the bravery of one who can bare their soul, their faults as well as their talents so honestly.

Reading the acknowledgements, the author is clear that she doesn't want to sensationalise her story, and as I was reading it, I had been thinking that it was impressive that she had managed to tell such a tale that was anything but salacious. In fact, this is a book that will remind you of just how precious life is. Kate is the victim of a dreadful and terrifying crime, yet we read of how her circle of friends and family have spread protective arms around her; and Kate's joy at everyday moments such as meeting friends, discussing art and literature, looking out over beautiful scenery is total infectious and uplifting. Like so many of us, she finds solace in a good book and a nice cup of tea; it may sound trite, but as two of the many small pleasures she relishes in life, I hope that for Kate, long may this be the case . ( )
  bibliobeck | Apr 4, 2009 |

What if the man you'd loved for years transformed into a ruthless and relentless tormentor, stealing your freedom, threatening your sanity and your safety?

This is not a fictional scenario. It is Kate Brennan's life.

A well-respected writer and scholar, Kate was wary of getting involved when she met Paul, a wealthy, charismatic businessman with a great deal of free time, but his charm and determination eventually won her over. Once they moved in together, however, Kate discovered the sordid secrets lurking beneath the Mr. Right facade: the serial infidelities, the unbalanced psyche. When she ended their relationship, Paul dedicated himself to stalking her—using his limitless resources to track her movements, interfering with her work, arranging for people to break into her home—in a campaign of cruel harassment that has been Kate's unending nightmare for more than a decade . . . and which continues to this day.

A shocking and visceral memoir that lays bare the twisted mind of a stalker, In His Sights is a gripping tale of one woman's descent into the dark side of love and her ongoing struggle to free herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

Kate Brennan's visceral memoir lays bare the mind of a stalker and shows how a smart, successful woman can fall prey to a warped and powerful man who has the money and connections to keep her under his watchful eye. Both frightening and insightful, In His Sights is a gripping tale of one woman's descent into the dark side of love and how she has fought--and still struggles--to free herself.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,041,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible