Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes by…

Access a version of the below that includes illustrations on my blog.

So this takes place prior to Legion of 3 Worlds, but I actually read it afterwards. I wonder what I would think if I'd read them in the proper order, because as it is, this read like a less successful widescreen Legion action story in much the same vein as Legion of 3 Worlds. There are some good ideas here (I like the idea that a 31st-century nativist group has made the Earth's sun red as a giant "screw-you" to Kryptonians), but the story never clicked with me like Legion of 3 Worlds did, was never quite as fun or brash or crowd-pleasing.

At least part of this is due to the art, I think. Gary Frank is a good artist, but his linework makes young people look old, and youth is one of the essential qualities of the Legion, and everything was a bit too fussy. I guess what I'm saying is that he's no George Pérez. And yes, I know that's unfair. (I also don't really care for his costume designs.)

There's a good idea here-- the diversity of the Legion standing against nativism-- but Johns doesn't quite pull off the thematic resonances, the end of the story getting kind of bogged down in a giant fight and gratuitous appearances by the Legion of Substitute Heroes. The Legion's large cast is, as always, its strength and its weakness.
  Stevil2001 | Sep 1, 2017 |
Much better than the Shooter-era vision of Superman visiting the Legion after they had all become adults. After a strange encounter in Metropolis, Superman travels to the 31st Century, only to find the Legion scattered and hunted as fugitives, with Earth's sun having turned red leaving Superman powerless. The story covers the unravelling of the plot, with a time limit imposed by the other members of the United Planets who are about to invade to 'restore order' to Earth. Not a great Legion story, but readable. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Apr 8, 2014 |
Book Summary: This book explores the adventures of Clark Kent and his life as a super hero. It has tons of action as Superman fights for his friends in the 31st century.

Personal Reaction: First of all I am quite discusted with all of the half naked women in this book, This is suppost to be a fun action story, it is not nessessary and gives the wrong ideas to readers. Children should not read this novel. There is also some filthy language in the novel. It is very graphic.

Classroom Extension: First of all I would like to state that this book should not be used in the classroom. If you must use it, choose only certain pages that are acceptable. For instance in the first part of the book you can spark children's imagination by reading how the alien was sent to earth and became a super hero. Another way to use this literature is to talk about the nature of graphic novels and use this one as an example.
  Philip413 | Nov 16, 2011 |
In a way, this book is a slightly new take on Superman's origins. While the ending felt a bit rushed, the emotion is palpable and the story is excellent. ( )
  zenobia158 | Jul 20, 2010 |
Geoff Johns, Gary Frank and the Legion. I like all 3 separately... together - done deal. Johns takes Superman to the future once more, except the bright hopeful 30th century he was used to visiting isn't so welcoming in the 31st. ( )
  hobreads | May 31, 2010 |

Geoff Johnsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frank, GaryIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Giffen, KeithIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sibal, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Curt Swan
"We have no future."
After responding to a distress call, Superman journeys to the 31st century to save the greatest friends he has ever known: the Legion of Super-Heroes.

In this future, the Man of Steel's legacy has been warped to ignite terror throughout the cosmos. The Legion are wanted criminals, war between Earth and the United Planets is imminent, and the "peacekeeping" of the xenophobic Justice League of Earth only brings it closer...

To end this tyranny, Superman must rescue the Legion of Super-Heroes, and with their help, continue his never-ending fight for truth, justice and the intergalactic way!

Superman responds to a distress call from the thirty-first century to rescue the Legion of Super-Heroes only to discover that his legacy has been used to foster terror throughout the universe as conflict between Earth and the United Planets wages on.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,156,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible