Blankets by Craig Thompson

Blankets (2003)

by Craig Thompson

4,2422031,694 (4.1)264
Recently added byEBassett, FSFamilyLibrary, private library, WalnutOwls, js31550, johnrouse
    The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (188)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (203)
Gorgeous coming of age story that many in my generation and younger will resonate with. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is the second book I have read by this author and I love it just as much as the first one. The way he describes the emotions for his first love and his faith at the time is just amazing. He really brings you into the book. The art work is great as well. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Blankets is the amazing graphic novel by Craig Thompson about first love and how it shapes us. This novel hit home for me in a lot of ways. Reading Blankets was like looking my adolescent self in the face and telling her "It's okay to feel what you are feeling", only far more eloquently thanks to Thompson's stunning illustrations. First love is not always easy. Intense emotions like those experienced when falling in love are tough to navigate, especially when you are young. I can't say enough about the illustrations and the writing in this novel. Thompson seamlessly blends text and imaging all while capturing perfectly what it is like to be young, in love, and stranded in your too-small hometown surrounded by people who make no effort to understand you. Blankets is about meeting the first person who really gets you, falling hopelessly for them, and how that experience impacts you at every moment. It's also about self-discovery and learning to let go of shame and guilt in order replace it with something much more powerful (and much more frightening): love. It is a truly beautiful story, uniquely told but shared by so many. I devoured this book in one night and went back to re-read it the next day. Aside from a plot that is so relative it breaks your heart, the artwork is simply breathtaking. Every mark has purpose, every line an expression of the story. I want to plaster the drawings from Blankets all over my walls because they evoke so much emotion. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
I picked this up to take a quick peak this morning and could not put it down. What a charming, honest graphic memoir! The author explores his teenage years and his first love. During this time he also starts to question and pull away from the well-meaning but restrictive religious environment he was accustomed to. Nicely drawn, touching story. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
If you're looking for a book that contains beautiful artwork and an even more beautiful story, you will find it in Craig Thompson's Blankets. Every little detail of this book creates a story about first love that is sure to continue to linger in your mind after you read it. Blankets deserves all of the awards it won back when it was first published.

Blankets follows the story of a first love and a sibling rivalry, placed among the backdrop of a blistery Wisconsin winter and fueled by a young boy's questions of faith. A coming-of-age story that's sure to strike a chord with many of its readers.

First of all, the artwork in this novel is just stunning. Thompson creates the landscape of Midwestern winters so artfully, and intermixes it with designs and symbols that help to create an almost magical feel. The artwork creates a setting that engulfs you in the story, that almost makes you feel like you're there with the characters.

The combination of the art and the writing here create a truly artistic experience for the reader. For example, "Just another example of adults transforming your magic--into static." These types of quotes are interspersed throughout the book, focusing on growing up, first love, family loyalty, etc. They make the story relatable, they engross you in the story. I just can't say enough good things about this book. If you haven't read it yet, go and read it. Immediately.

Read a full review with images on my blog at www.between-the-shelves.com ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,424,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible