Blankets by Craig Thompson

Blankets

by Craig Thompson (Author)

3,4191611,579 (4.12)216
    The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (147)  Danish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (160)
I hover between three and four stars for this, because it built in me a sense of emotion and longing, but disappointed me in the end. But perhaps, that's just how it went in the author's life, this being somewhat autobiographical. Perhaps in the end, it's just too much about me and my life and it's relation to the author and his life to result in a review that could possibly be useful to another person. I was deeply moved, no question. I'm glad I read it, no question. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
The background to Thompson’s memoir of first love and growing up rural Wisconsin is the cold and snow of the upper Midwest in winter and the comfort and companionship of sharing a bed and blanket with his brother as a boy and then his first girlfriend on a two week visit to her home in the upper peninsula of Michigan. But the price of these physical and emotional satisfactions severely tested his faith. As pervasive as the landscape and weather was the fundamentalist Christianity of his and his girlfriend’s families. It was a faith he shared, and he wonders if these warm and intimate pleasures are temptations that will lead to damnation. ( )
  MaowangVater | Oct 25, 2014 |
A moving tale of first love, and snow, and growing up in the frozen Bible Belt of the USA. And about religion and family and how they don't always work well together. Beautiful linework. I read [Habibi] by the same author, and I can see similar skeins in that work: love, religion, love of writing, loss. ( )
  questbird | Aug 5, 2014 |
I need to start reading more graphic novels. ( )
  ashleyk44 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, CraigAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,987,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible