Blankets by Craig Thompson

by Craig Thompson

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (163)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (177)
Summary: This graphic memoir tells the story of one winter in our teenage protagonist's life. Raised with his brother in a very strictly Christian and borderline abusive household, Craig's only escape from his home life and the bullies at school is his art - which his fundamentalist faith causes him to question. At a winter-break church camp, things don't seem much better, until he meets Raina. They fall quickly and deeply in love, although since she lives far away, their relationship is bound to have its share of problems. Eventually Craig goes to visit, only to find out that while Raina's family may be very different from its own, it has its share of problems as well. Now they must both learn to navigate the waters of adulthood to deal with their families - and their feelings for each other.

Review: I liked a lot of elements about this one, even though it was a fairly standard coming of age story. I felt the anguish and the ecstasy of first love, the way you feel like this is it and this is the only thing that matters in the universe, forever, and nothing can ever go wrong until everything goes wrong. I thought it had some interesting things to say about faith, whether that faith is in God or in other people or in yourself. I like Thompson's artwork a lot - it's simple but it's expressive and really conveys a lot of emotion but doesn't feel heavy. But above everything else, this book made me nostalgic. For my own high-school loves, sure, but mostly for an upper Midwest winter. Thompson renders the feeling of deep winter so perfectly and so clearly that it's practically another character. As a Yankee transplant to the South, I don't miss the reality of winter - chapped lips and dry skin and constantly cold toes - but the starkness of a snowy woods at night, or looking up into the snowfall and feeling like you're falling upwards, or just the simple pleasure of being warm and cozy inside when it's miserable outside… that I miss. But the rest of the story is well done and interesting and genuinely touching, too, and I like that I didn't get the happy ending that I thought I wanted. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: While I don't know that I would say something like "this is a graphic novel everyone should read", I can see how it ends up on those sorts of lists, and it would certainly be one that I think would be a good starting point for someone unfamiliar with the genre. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Nov 1, 2015 |
Another graphic novel. It's more of a love story and coming of age tale. I myself read it in high school and then again recently and I love how it explores the biggest issues we have as kids and teens growing up. It talks about struggles with figuring out who you are, love, life and what you believe in and why. This one is also more young adult age than children ( )
  gracelovera | Oct 10, 2015 |
Trying to describe this book leaves me grasping at single-word sentences.

It perfectly captures the magic of a first love, and lovingly documents a coming of age.

It's a delicate, caring, story that is well worth your time. ( )
  liso | Sep 18, 2015 |
Drawings can convey so much emotion! I do not think that words alone could have had the same impact as the art work in this graphic novel. The "words only" story would have been entirely different, and I would hazard to guess that it would be much less appealing. A totally blank page meant so much - it wasn't a misprint. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Another illustrated novel that I really enjoyed. I read it in two sittings, and while doing dishes between the two sittings, I couldn't stop thinking about the characters. In the few illustrated novels I've read, I've found that I instantly love the characters, maybe because you can see them and their surroundings right away, I'm not really sure. The story was really well developed and it was just a beautiful experience. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.
In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)
...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.
I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)
Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible