Blankets by Craig Thompson

Blankets (2003)

by Craig Thompson

4,1031991,720 (4.1)256
    The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (184)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (199)
The first graphic novel I ever read...and still my favorite. Beautifully drawn and heart-wrenching.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
“Blankets” is an ambitious 582-page graphic novel detailing the author and artist Craig Thompson’s first love with Raina, interspersed with his difficult childhood, ending at his young adulthood. It’s impressive. The art is on the modern side, and it works. The most glorious pages are those that express his inner feelings – both the love for Raina and the darkness he experienced as a child. Raina, especially her body, is drawn exquisitely. The numerous snow scenes of Wisconsin and Michigan are lovely too, though I’m glad I don’t live there! :) Being raised in the deeply Christian rural Wisconsin, his thoughts are intermixed with doubts about who he is and what his future ought to entail in a religious sense. It’s painfully honest, revealing, tender, warm and sweet. I rooted for them even though the outcome is obvious. I rooted for him to find his individuality – this, he succeeded.

Adult themes, be warned.

One quote on faith – from Craig speaking to his younger brother:
“… But I can’t deny my lack of faith either. I still believe in God, the teachings of Jesus even, but the rest of Christianity…, its Bible, its churches, its dogma…, only sets up boundaries between people and cultures. It denies the beauty of being Human, and it ignores all these gaps that need to be filled in by the individual.” ( )
  varwenea | Aug 28, 2018 |
Such a beautifully drawn and written book about the coming of age of a christian boy who lives in a small town and meets a girl. The story is a biography of the author's life growing up in Wisconsin in a small town where he doesn't fit in and Christian values are preached but not always practiced. The plot focuses on Craig's childhood and flips to his teenage years, especially his relationship with Raina. It's a very personal story and Craig did an amazing job telling his story. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
Blankets is essentially an autobiography of Craig Thompson's formative years. The bulk of the story takes place over a two week period where he was staying over at the house of his then-crush Raina. Sibling rivalry, teenage love, and a fall from grace are the primary topics explored.

Some of the previous reviews here have described the text as being essentially mastubatory, which in a lot of ways it is, but not necessarily in as negative a way as they say. While he could have explored other topics, I think that Thompson really captured the emotions and conflict of the teenage years well. The art is lovely, and while the tone of the comic overall is a bit angsty, it never gets overwhelmingly so. All in all, I did enjoy it fairly well. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I first read Blankets a decade ago when I was 19. Being closer to the main characters' age and emotional maturity definitely impacted my reading experience and enthusiasm for Blankets. Years later, it is still a well-done graphic novel that captures young love and the way relationships grow and evolve as people age, but it is not as arresting for me as it once was. ( )
  hardcastle | Jun 12, 2018 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible