Blankets by Craig Thompson

Title:Blankets
Authors:Craig Thompson
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2003), Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:****1/2

Blankets by Craig Thompson (Author)

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (155)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (169)
Once again after reading something so brilliant such as this work of art, I wish I had a better ability to articulate my feelings. This is honest and raw storytelling full of the joys and heartbreaks of family, love and faith . Some wonderful uses of humour in just the right places. The scene where the brothers pee on each other had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes (Oh yeah, there are lots of tears in this graphic novel) The artwork is stunning. The characters are damaged and honest, in other words real. So much courage to put out something so personal. The abuse he and his brother suffered is put out there in such a sensitively done way, but all I wanted to do after reading was hug those boys. Once I started reading I could not put it down (impressive as well considering I wasn't jumping to read it after Jen and Chelsea picked it up for non girly book club). HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Favorite Quotes

"Something about being rejected at CHURCH CAMP felt so much more awful than being rejected at school."

"I still believe in God, the teachings of Jesus even, but the rest of Christianity ... it's Bible, it's churches, it's dogma -- only sets up boundaries between people and cultures. It denies the beauty of being HUMAN, and it ignores all these gaps that need to be filled in by the individual." ( )
  mountie9 | May 13, 2015 |
The artwork in this huge book is absolutely astounding and extremely inspirational. I enjoyed the layout of the frames and the flow of the story.
I didn't like the plot - it was all a bit boring and cliché; not much actually happened. I did connect with the characters in a was but not on a deep emotional level.
The romance wasn't entirely believable and seemed forced in places like it was being dragged out.
I loved the family dynamics within the story and liked the heaven and hell styled illustrations.
This book redefines graphic novels and is a marvel to read / look at.

3.5 is probably the more accurate rating for this from me. The artwork is everything. ( )
  Amberlouichu | Apr 16, 2015 |
A very tender story of childhood sibling fun and problems, a first love and sexual encounter, and a growing skepticism of religion – all told in drawings which reinforce emotions through their simplicity, elegance, and detail. A gorgeous book! ( )
  SqueakyChu | Apr 8, 2015 |
Probablemente habría disfrutado más Blankets si Thompson nos hubiera hablado más de su relación con la religión, sus padres y especialmente, con su hermano. Son, de lejos, las partes que más me han gustado; y sin embargo, pasan a un segundo plano cuando Raina entra en su vida. Supongo que algo así debió de pasar en la realidad. En ese sentido no se puede decir que el cómic no represente bien lo que significa estar enamorado, es más, lo hace de maravilla. Pero va perdiendo interés para los lectores a medida que crece el enamoramiento de Craig: no deja de ser otro chico que se vuelve ciego para todo excepto para Raina, y su perfección física y emocional. Y ver eso desde fuera es empalagoso. Y aburrido. Muy aburrido.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Gorgeous. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Feb 6, 2015 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, CraigAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,161,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible