Blankets by Craig Thompson

Authors:Craig Thompson
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2003), Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:****1/2

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Recently added bylegxleg, melannwood, jevins, HPULibraries, IlariaD, private library, Dohakoma, acreresidency
    The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (173)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (187)
I read this book for one of my philosophy classes. I have to write a paper on this book so my feelings on this book may change later on.

The story was deep, but it faltered slightly towards the end which is why I couldn't give it 5 stars. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Mar 24, 2017 |
A quilt made of memories, bad and good, side by side sketches about growing up in a small town in Wisconsin; about sharing a room with a younger brother; about surviving school days with merciless bullying; about finding solace in religion; about a boy who meets a girl; about disfunctional families and people with disabilities; about being an artist and about the power of imagination, about the purity of first love reflected in the purity of snow; about losing your religion and losing your inocence ... about beauty and sadness and time turning the pure white snow into a sea of dirty slush; and about the precious few things you can salvage, like a quilt of many shapes and colors ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 21, 2017 |

Originally posted here

I initially went into this book blind, I had not a clue what it was about and I must say it was surprisingly intimate. Blankets is the author's memoir and it chronicles his experience growing up in rural Wisconsin.

I really loved the black and white art style as I felt it portrayed the loneliness of the stark winter landscape of rural Wisconsin perfectly. Craig Thompson's portrayal of his traditional Christian upbringing was so fascinating to me, as it was an inside look at a family life that I had never encountered before. I also think that the way that the evolving relationship between Craig and his little brother was portrayed was so honest, sweet, and really funny at times.

Blankets  also explores some dark places as the author reveals his experience of bullying at school, not fitting in, his crisis of faith, and experiencing childhood abuse. Despite the melancholic tone at points, the story explores some of the best experiences of Craig's adolescence such as his long-distance relationship with first love, Raina. Their budding romance was one of the best parts of the book as it felt so universally relatable.

The conclusion of Blankets was open ended which was perfect though I can see why others would feel unsatisfied with it. Ultimately, I really enjoyed this book. It was laugh out loud funny at times and basically a brilliant peak into somebody else's life story, which is perfect for readers like me who are a bit nosy and love reading other people's memoirs. ( )
  4everfanatical | Nov 30, 2016 |
I read this book after making my first quilt, so I understand how important a homemade blanket is. This is a wonderful tribute to a first love. An awkward boy and a wonderful girl. A homemade quilt. A mural. First love, first kiss, road trips, snow. I hope I can look back on my high school years with as much tenderness someday. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
Blankets has always been a favorite of mine. The artwork is mesmerizing and striking. It speaks to you, Thompson pairs literary and visual art to tell the memories of his childhood, his first love, his struggle with religion - to find himself. This work I would not recommend to my students simply because I know this book and another of Thompson's novels was challenged for being inappropriate, despite being appropriate for many who are searching for who they are. Diversity wise, you don't hear much about how one doubted his faith since childhood. I didn't grow up in a very strict Christian denomination home, I was raised to be a relaxed Catholic and now I feel I am more spiritual than a part of any religion. Regardless, this book deserves to be read by those who struggle with their identity, whether it is with religion, a talent, their past - what have you. ( )
  rparks | Oct 6, 2016 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,898,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible