Blankets by Craig Thompson

by Craig Thompson

Authors:Craig Thompson
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2003), Paperback, 592 pages

Blankets by Craig Thompson

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (168)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (182)
Blankets has always been a favorite of mine. The artwork is mesmerizing and striking. It speaks to you, Thompson pairs literary and visual art to tell the memories of his childhood, his first love, his struggle with religion - to find himself. This work I would not recommend to my students simply because I know this book and another of Thompson's novels was challenged for being inappropriate, despite being appropriate for many who are searching for who they are. Diversity wise, you don't hear much about how one doubted his faith since childhood. I didn't grow up in a very strict Christian denomination home, I was raised to be a relaxed Catholic and now I feel I am more spiritual than a part of any religion. Regardless, this book deserves to be read by those who struggle with their identity, whether it is with religion, a talent, their past - what have you. ( )
  rparks | Oct 6, 2016 |
Read this entirely based on someone I follow on Twitter saying it was great. They were right. So I'm extending the same opportunity to the readers of this review! ( )
  Bernadette877 | Jul 1, 2016 |
Raise your hand if you kept hearing about the epic graphic novel Blankets by Craig Thompson. Chances are that the majority of you have at the very least heard of this book. It's continually touted as a must-read and so I finally grabbed it anticipating something that would knock me off of my feet. What I got instead was a thoroughly uncomfortable coming of age story that I didn't find particularly compelling. The art was not at fault. There were some truly lovely illustrations and I think the choice of keeping everything fairly muted in various shades of blue, black, and white was a good one. However, I couldn't get past how uncomfortable I found the story. Blankets is the true childhood tale of the author, Craig Thompson. The way that religion and relationships were depicted was problematic at best and psychologically troubling at worst. Craig grew up in a rural town as the oldest of two sons. The story starts with the two boys sharing a bed (not by their choice) and the arguments that ensued over the less than ideal situation. From the very start, I wondered if the cathartic writing of this book was the reason that Thompson wrote this. I say this because I think perhaps the author should seek professional help. As you know, I steer clear of spoilers here but I do feel that you should be forewarned that there are copious instances of child abuse in this book. The cruelty he and his brother faced disturbed my sleep while I was reading it and there were several times that I almost quit the book entirely. However, my hope that the end would prove worthwhile kept me turning the pages (and ultimately left me disappointed). If you're feeling particularly brave (or curious), then I can only wish you the best of luck with your quest. For me, the art alone wasn't worth it in the end. 3/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Jun 24, 2016 |
El arte es hermoso, y las historias entremezcladas conmovedoras. Trata del amor entre hermanos, de la lucha de los demonios personales, del primer amor, de las dificultades de crear tus propias convicciones y de aceptarte a ti mismo.

Claro que mi opinión esta influenciada por el hecho de que esta historia me tocó de una manera personal.

Cuando yo estaba pequeña, hasta mas o menos los 7 u 8 años, compartía la cama con mi hermana, quien es solo 1 año mayor que yo. Siempre peleábamos porque queríamos tener nuestras propias camas, queríamos sentirnos grandes e independientes. Hasta que un día nos sorprendieron con: ¡dos camas nuevas! Era el paraíso, finalmente nuestro sueño se había hecho realidad. O al menos eso creíamos. La verdad es que cuando llegaba la noche nos extrañábamos, no teníamos con quien jugar al campamento con las cobijas, ni con quien hablar justo antes de dormir, ni a quien abrazar si sentíamos miedo. Así que inventábamos excusas para seguir durmiendo juntas, solo que ahora era en camas mucho más pequeñas, pero ya no nos importaba. Estábamos juntas y eramos felices.

Las similitudes entre mis propias experiencias, y la trama de Craig y su hermano me sorprendieron. Y por momentos fue como ver una caricatura de mi vida. Así que mi debo advertirles que mi opinión es totalmente subjetiva. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Craig Thompson’s graphic novel Blankets caught my eye at the public library a few weeks ago. It was in the Staff Picks section, and it had a yellow, foot-shaped post-it note on the front. On the foot was a glowing handwritten review about how beautiful the story and illustrations of Blankets are. And a plus: the story is set in Wisconsin and Michigan! So I picked it up.

The staff member who wrote the mini-review was right: this book is gorgeous. Thompson’s black-and-white illustrations are lovely, but the most beautiful thing about the book is the author (and main character’s) sensitivity. Thompson’s story is about growing up: as a rural Wisconsinite, an older brother, and a devout (but questioning) Christian. It’s also about falling in love, “broken” families, and heartache. Thompson represents all of his experiences with thoughtfulness and grace. It’s a story of growth and coming to terms with hardships and difficult belief systems.

If you’re a sensitive, observant type, or if you’ve ever been interested in art, or fallen in love, or tried so hard to figure out what you believe and how your belief system has affected you, this book is for you. Craig is a very relatable character and an excellent storyteller. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.
In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)
...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.
I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)
Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible