Blankets by Craig Thompson

Info:Top Shelf Productions (2003), Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Jensbooks, comics, autobiography

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Recently added byNatashaSilva, krau0098, Posidona, NatNieman, theholotrope, redsunzire, ASKelmore, private library
    The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (175)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (189)
This is the second graphic novel I have read by Thompson. While I didn’t enjoy Blankets as much as Habibi; I thought it was still a very well done graphic novel. The drawing is very well done and the story is very engaging and heartfelt.

This was an autobiography of Thompson from his childhood to his early twenties. He was constantly pulled between an uber-religious mother and his desire to draw. The plot jumps between various points of his life; sometimes from childhood to adulthood and back again; in a way that flows beautifully and makes for a cohesive story. A few times we also get to delve into the backgrounds of other characters.

Much of the story is driven by his relationship with a young woman he meets at Bible camp and the way she influences his life decisions.

The artwork is amazing and I continue to be awed by Thompson’s ability to craft an amazing and powerful story by blending artwork and text together.

Overall another amazing Thompson graphic novel. I would recommend to everyone; but particularly to fans of contemporary fiction and coming of age stories. I can’t wait to see what Thompson does next!!! ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 22, 2017 |
From my Cannonball Read 6 Review

My husband kindly takes many of book recommendations, but pointed out last night that I don’t often take his. So today I sat down and plowed through Blankets, my first foray into graphic novels. It definitely did not turn me off of the genre, but this one wasn’t exactly my cup of tea. And in my husband’s defense, he read it a few years ago and only really remembered that there was a brotherly relationship in the book. I don’t necessarily think he would have recommended it to me if he’d remembered the rest.

The novel is about a young man who doesn’t really feel he belongs in his world. Which is usually of great interest to me, but in this case much of it was about his faith; specifically his place in a very Christian family and community. I am no longer a Christian, and have very little interest in reading Bible quotes, so having a book that was SO entwined with that imagery was a bit disappointing. I get why it was there – it was absolutely vital to the story – it just wasn’t a story I had much interest in reading in this telling.

The drawings are lovely, and the story flows pretty well. However, there are definitely areas that are hinted at but not fully fleshed out, so I was left kind of wondering what had happened. And some of the character drawings had me a little confused as to who was who. But overall I can see the appeal of the genre, and am certainly not opposed to reading other graphic novels. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
I read this book for one of my philosophy classes. I have to write a paper on this book so my feelings on this book may change later on.

The story was deep, but it faltered slightly towards the end which is why I couldn't give it 5 stars. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Mar 24, 2017 |
A quilt made of memories, bad and good, side by side sketches about growing up in a small town in Wisconsin; about sharing a room with a younger brother; about surviving school days with merciless bullying; about finding solace in religion; about a boy who meets a girl; about disfunctional families and people with disabilities; about being an artist and about the power of imagination, about the purity of first love reflected in the purity of snow; about losing your religion and losing your inocence ... about beauty and sadness and time turning the pure white snow into a sea of dirty slush; and about the precious few things you can salvage, like a quilt of many shapes and colors ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 21, 2017 |

Originally posted here

I initially went into this book blind, I had not a clue what it was about and I must say it was surprisingly intimate. Blankets is the author's memoir and it chronicles his experience growing up in rural Wisconsin.

I really loved the black and white art style as I felt it portrayed the loneliness of the stark winter landscape of rural Wisconsin perfectly. Craig Thompson's portrayal of his traditional Christian upbringing was so fascinating to me, as it was an inside look at a family life that I had never encountered before. I also think that the way that the evolving relationship between Craig and his little brother was portrayed was so honest, sweet, and really funny at times.

Blankets  also explores some dark places as the author reveals his experience of bullying at school, not fitting in, his crisis of faith, and experiencing childhood abuse. Despite the melancholic tone at points, the story explores some of the best experiences of Craig's adolescence such as his long-distance relationship with first love, Raina. Their budding romance was one of the best parts of the book as it felt so universally relatable.

The conclusion of Blankets was open ended which was perfect though I can see why others would feel unsatisfied with it. Ultimately, I really enjoyed this book. It was laugh out loud funny at times and basically a brilliant peak into somebody else's life story, which is perfect for readers like me who are a bit nosy and love reading other people's memoirs. ( )
  4everfanatical | Nov 30, 2016 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,126,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible