Blankets by Craig Thompson

Authors:Craig Thompson
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2003), Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Jensbooks, comics, autobiography

Blankets by Craig Thompson (Author)

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (158)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (172)
Blankets by Craig Thompson is one of those graphic novels that seems to be on everyone's list that for one reason or another I hadn't read. One reason stems from it being published in 2003 which is before I had even considered reading graphic novels (I'm not even sure by then I'd heard the term).

Anyway, Blankets is about a pair of brothers being raised in a hyper religious and abusive home — and the older brother's coming to terms with how that has affected him as an adult. He begins with a flashback to the time when he and his brother had to share not only the same room, but the same bed.

The bed up in the attic in the winter was too cold (like dangerously so) and in the summer, too hot (and also probably dangerously so). If they got into fights, one of them would be locked into the storage area between the walls, a dark, scary place with spiders and who knows what else.

Then there are the Christian summer camps which for a poor kid are hell on earth. But it's at one of these that he meets his girl friend and begins to learn how to rebel. She teaches him how to play within the rules, and when to outright break them.

But the meat of the story is the time he takes off from school to spend at her house. It's a chance to experience a very different family setting, with its own family problems.

While it's played for romance and certainly both teens are under the spell of hormonal driven passion, their time together is more disturbing than romantic (at least seen through this adult's eyes).

And all of this coming of age tale is told through Thompson's blue and white drawings. They are poetic and dramatic, filling in the blanks let otherwise unspoken by the text. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 12, 2015 |

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I read this book based on recommendations from co-workers. They said this book was great, they were wrong. The story is boring, the main character is whiny and self-centered. The art is what brings this book up to average for me. I can't recommend this title. I haven't read anything else by this author but this book makes me not want too. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
Once again after reading something so brilliant such as this work of art, I wish I had a better ability to articulate my feelings. This is honest and raw storytelling full of the joys and heartbreaks of family, love and faith . Some wonderful uses of humour in just the right places. The scene where the brothers pee on each other had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes (Oh yeah, there are lots of tears in this graphic novel) The artwork is stunning. The characters are damaged and honest, in other words real. So much courage to put out something so personal. The abuse he and his brother suffered is put out there in such a sensitively done way, but all I wanted to do after reading was hug those boys. Once I started reading I could not put it down (impressive as well considering I wasn't jumping to read it after Jen and Chelsea picked it up for non girly book club). HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Favorite Quotes

"Something about being rejected at CHURCH CAMP felt so much more awful than being rejected at school."

"I still believe in God, the teachings of Jesus even, but the rest of Christianity ... it's Bible, it's churches, it's dogma -- only sets up boundaries between people and cultures. It denies the beauty of being HUMAN, and it ignores all these gaps that need to be filled in by the individual." ( )
  mountie9 | May 13, 2015 |
The artwork in this huge book is absolutely astounding and extremely inspirational. I enjoyed the layout of the frames and the flow of the story.
I didn't like the plot - it was all a bit boring and cliché; not much actually happened. I did connect with the characters in a was but not on a deep emotional level.
The romance wasn't entirely believable and seemed forced in places like it was being dragged out.
I loved the family dynamics within the story and liked the heaven and hell styled illustrations.
This book redefines graphic novels and is a marvel to read / look at.

3.5 is probably the more accurate rating for this from me. The artwork is everything. ( )
  Amberlouichu | Apr 16, 2015 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, CraigAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,858,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible