Blankets by Craig Thompson

Authors:Craig Thompson
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2003), Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Jensbooks, comics, autobiography

Blankets by Craig Thompson (Author)

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (153)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (167)
Probablemente habría disfrutado más Blankets si Thompson nos hubiera hablado más de su relación con la religión, sus padres y especialmente, con su hermano. Son, de lejos, las partes que más me han gustado; y sin embargo, pasan a un segundo plano cuando Raina entra en su vida. Supongo que algo así debió de pasar en la realidad. En ese sentido no se puede decir que el cómic no represente bien lo que significa estar enamorado, es más, lo hace de maravilla. Pero va perdiendo interés para los lectores a medida que crece el enamoramiento de Craig: no deja de ser otro chico que se vuelve ciego para todo excepto para Raina, y su perfección física y emocional. Y ver eso desde fuera es empalagoso. Y aburrido. Muy aburrido.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Gorgeous. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Feb 6, 2015 |
"But that memory is so dream-like--too eerie and beautiful and cryptic
to be true. I've long since cataloged it as a creation of my subconscious.

No. It actually existed. I was there. [spoken by his brother]

And that's my comfort--
--that someone else was there and experienced the same thing.

How else could I know it was REAL and not merely a dream?

...

Sometimes, upon waking,
the residual dream can be more appealing than reality,
and one is reluctant to give it up.

For a while, you feel like a ghost--
--not fully materialized,
and unable to manipulate your surroundings.
Or else, it is the dream that haunts you.
You wait with the promise of the next dream.

But the act of waking is dependent on remembering.
We use ritual as a mnemonic devise--
--holiday as a ritual with meaning--
--and the seasons as increments of measurement.

... [as he goes out for a walk in the snow after Christmas dinner]

How satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.
To make a map of my movement
--no matter how temporary." ( )
  lgaikwad | Jan 6, 2015 |
I loved everything about this book. The story, the beautiful artwork, EVERYTHING. Definitely recommend this to everyone. It was lovely, heartbreaking, uplifting, and so much more. Keeping this book forever. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Dec 28, 2014 |
Il tratto potrebbe allontanare, indicare una disattenzione per la parte grafica; in realta' raramente ho visto fattezze femminili disegnate *meglio*. In queste quasi 600 pagine il disegno è solo veicolo per una poesia che a volte (molte volte) supera quella dei maestri. La sfortuna vuole che per vedere e sentire certe scene dobbiamo fare qualche passo indietro, a qualche anno fa, e la potenza evocativa del libro è tutta qui.

La storia in alcuni punti non è troppo dolorosa - cosi' come la nostra puberta' e adolescenza ha lasciato intravedere a volte qualche raggio di sole.

Thompson, poi, ha talento da vendere. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, CraigAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicles Craig's journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,250,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible