Evelina by Fanny Burney

Evelina (original 1778; edition 1967)

by Fanny Burney, Lewis Gibbs

1,656304,350 (3.79)1 / 191
Authors:Fanny Burney
Other authors:Lewis Gibbs
Info:Everyman's Library, No. 352
Collections:Your library, Everyman's Library
Tags:own, 2nd

Evelina by Frances Burney (1778)

English (29)  French (1)  All languages (30)
Wow. This book had me enthralled, staying up all hours of the night, turning page after page. The labyrinthine predicaments in which a young woman could find herself ensnared in the 18th century were dazzling and ghastly! Men are sinners or saints in this book and the sinners are truly some of the most covert (and overt), villainous, slime balls ever entered on the page. If you've read and enjoyed the works of any of Mrs. Burney's contemporaries or anyone who came after for 100 years, give or take, you can't possibly dislike this book. ( )
1 vote libbromus | Nov 1, 2015 |
What a wonderful book! It was so well conceived from beginning to end. There was never a dull moment. Every turn added another new piece to the puzzle, another mystery or entanglement, but without any hint as to its final outcome. At no time previous have I found myself so intensely rooting for a heroine’s good fortune. Whether I did so in vain, I will not disclose here. I will share this, the ending concludes perfectly. Not because it is happy or sad, but because it was handled superbly. A novel’s finale often leaves me disappointed. So much thought is given to the first two-thirds, or more, of a novel and then…poof!...it is as if the author was too exhausted with all other efforts to attend properly to his or her ending. I was not disappointed with Evelina, such was the strength of Burney’s emotionally charged drama. Unquestionably brilliant!

http://biibliophilebeth.blogspot.com/ ( )
  BALE | Mar 8, 2015 |
Delightful, satirical, melodramatic, comical....all of these adjectives accurately describe Frances Burney's feminine 18th century coming of age tale. Our protagonist, the naive, pure Evelina enters the brash, hypocritical, backstabbing, and often dangerous society world after a very sheltered childhood. The plot unfolds via correspondence between characters and moves rapidly between settings, plot twists, appalling behavior and satirical commentary of the social mores of the time. Wonderful read. It's one of those during which 400 pages fly by! ( )
  hemlokgang | Feb 24, 2015 |
I rated this a solid "B" after I read it. Now, less than 2 years later, I cannot recall a single thing about it. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Evelina does not wear well with time, unlike Austen heroines. In fact, Evelina herself is very wearing. She is prone to tongue-tied shyness (which comes across as vapidity); she is utterly dependent on others for her opinions (Elizabeth Bennett would kick her to the curb); she prefers to faint, blush, weep, and vacillate between humiliating embarrassment and embarrassing humiliation than assert herself or withstand an importunity (Emma would wash her hands of her).

What possessed Ms Burney to ever try to make a heroine out of such unheroic material, I don't know. How she contrives to get (or if she ever does get) Evelina, the perpetual ingenue into competent adulthood I don't know either, because I'm 70% through the book and am feeling the feelings that Elizabeth and Emma would feel.

I am not surprised that the world of literature did little note nor long remember Evelina's entrance into it when the likes of Elizabeth and Emma made their respective entrances. ( )
1 vote Limelite | Jun 28, 2014 |

Frances Burneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bloom, Edward A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doody, Margaret AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doody, Margaret AnneEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, VivienIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nickolls, JosephCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HughIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Can anything, my good Sir, be more painful to a friendly mind, than a necessity of communicating disagreeable intelligence?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192840312, Paperback)

Frances Burney's first and most enduringly popular novel is a vivid, satirical, and seductive account of the pleasures and dangers of fashionable life in late eighteenth-century London. As she describes her heroine's entry into society, womanhood and, inevitably, love, Burney exposes the vulnerability of female innocence in an image-conscious and often cruel world where social snobbery and sexual aggression are played out in the public arenas of pleasure-gardens, theatre visits, and balls. But Evelina's innocence also makes her a shrewd commentator on the excesses and absurdities of manners and social ambitions--as well as attracting the attention of the eminently eligible Lord Orville.

Evelina, comic and shrewd, is at once a guide to fashionable London, a satirical attack on the new consumerism, an investigation of women's position in the late eighteenth century, and a love story. The new introduction and full notes to this edition help make this richness all the more readily available to a modern reader.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:14 -0400)

This is the story of a young woman's education in the ways of the world in 18th century England. Commentary, notes and a reading group guide is included.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140433473, 0141198869

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,843,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible