Sisters and Brothers: Sibling Relationships…

Sisters and Brothers: Sibling Relationships in the Animal World

by Robin Page, Steve Jenkins (Illustrator)

This book shows the similarities and differences between human sibling and animal siblings. This informational text describes how different types of animals behave with their siblings and parents. I would recommend this book to students in elementary school who interact with their siblings daily and those who want to learn more about animals and animal behavior. This book describes how different types of animals are born, how long they typically stay with their mothers after birth, the typical size of animals, and what these animals eat to stay alive. ( )
  AllisonBaier | Feb 28, 2017 |
An informational text using Steve Jenkin's ingenious collage work to complement the factual information. "Playing together, working together, arguing, fighting — sometimes animal brothers and sisters act a lot like human siblings. Other creatures have more unusual relationships. They may be identical quadruplets, or have only sisters. Some have hundreds, thousands, or even millions of brothers and sisters. There are animal brothers that fight to the death, and others that are companions for life. In this book you can read about some of the ways animal siblings get along — or not." - Steve Jenkins

Teaching Connections: informational research projects, nonfiction text features

Website Resources: http://www.stevejenkinsbooks.com ( )
  EmmaNicolazzo | Dec 15, 2016 |
How do brothers and sisters act in others species? Find out which animals stay together for life and which ones eat one another as soon as they are born in this text featuring many different animals around the globe. ( )
  bradfordtam | Jul 14, 2016 |
because of GR Amy's review
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This book is about the different sibling relationships among different species. The book goes into detail, a little too much for a read aloud with my class, about how each animal deals with having siblings. It covers elephants, lizards, bears, mole rats, hyenas, cheetahs, cichlids, and many more. Each page describes how many are born at time (one at a time vs. a litter), identical or not, how long they stay with their mother, and even reproduction. My children had a hard time understanding what identical meant, in terms of living things. I pulled two blocks from the block center because I figured this would be a difficult concept to explain. They understood the concept in terms of blocks, but not really in terms of people. We talked about how many siblings people can have, how many people in the room are big sisters/brothers, how many people have a baby coming, how many people live in their house... earlier in the year we made a bar graph which shows how many people live in 4-person households, 3-person households, 6-person households, etc. I started going into how humans are the same species, and that different people have different amounts of babies.
My students liked the grizzly bear page, which emphasized how grizzly cubs like to fight with their siblings. Most of my students have siblings, so they understood the concept of fighting with a brother or sister.
I actually didn't have time to go through the entire book in one sitting because of the length. I had read it ahead of time, but overestimated my students' patience. I didn't read the book word for word to them, I had paraphrased ahead of time and knew what information was important to say and what I could eliminate. We resumed the read-aloud after nap, and they were not nearly as enthusiastic. This is often the case when we do an activity after they've woken up. They mostly just sat there, even the alert ones didn't have much to say.
They next day, I put the book out in a center for the children to look through independently. I did give them a rule, only two friends at a time could share the book. About 2-3 children from each group initiated a moment to sit down and look at the book. They flipped through the pages and laughed when they saw the naked mole rates (during the read-aloud, they all said “ew!” in unison when I got to this page). They also liked the cuckoo catfish, which became the phrase of choice that day. In the home-living center, they played “family” and I spent some time sitting when them over “coffee” and prompted them to explain their families to me, I asked how many children they had, if they carried them and what they needed to do to take care of them. This brought back to the surface the idea of taking care of a baby, which is relevant to many of these children because many of them have a baby on the way or a newborn at home.
  mdhoward | Feb 9, 2015 |

Robin Pageprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jenkins, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The award-winning team of What Do You Do with a Tail Like This? and Move! once again create a nonfiction picture book that is amazingly beautiful, fun, and filled with all sorts of interesting facts. Here, Steve Jenkins and Robin Page investigate sibling relationships throughout the animal kingdom. In this book you will learn that anteaters are always only children and nine-banded armadillos are always born as identical quadruplets. You will also learn that falcons play-hunt in the sky and that hyena cubs fight to the death. This is the perfect book for animal lovers young and old!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

Peregrine falcons learn to hunt by practicing with their sisters and brothers. Elephant sisters babysit their younger siblings. Hyena brothers often fight to the death, but wild turkey brothers stay together for life. The giant anteater is an only child, while termites may have millions of siblings! Find out more about these animal brothers and sisters -- and many others -- inside this book.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,375,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible