The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkest Powers (1)

After fifteen-year-old Chloe starts seeing ghosts and is sent to Lyle House, a mysterious group home for mentally disturbed teenagers, she soon discovers that neither Lyle House nor its inhabitants are exactly what they seem, and that she and her new friends are in danger.

English (215)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (218)
Great book- the cover doesn't do it justice. It is trying to appeal to Twilight fans and I think it will lose others who might not be as into the Twilight craze. Very good characters. I thought that the plot had a tendency to drag at times, and that more could have happened. I think that the first two books could have been one book. I look forward to reading the third book, though. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Amazing!
  DiDiavolo | May 11, 2019 |
I really really liked it! I think it had a really nice, believable blend of reality and fantasy. Like if someone said to me 'oh this is actually real' (and they were like credible or whatever) I might consider believing them (in a not really kind of way). Ok wait, rephrase in a less crazy way. It is believable that this could be going on without my knowledge in the world.
I liked that the author obviously researched the mental health system before writing it because there were accurate descriptions of medical things. For example: I did clinical at a youth group center (not a boarding type place, but a day time thing) and it was pretty close. I think that was my favorite thing, that there weren't huge flaws!

I also liked that Chloe did not whine internally about pointless things. I hate when I read a book and it's set in 1st person and the narrator just monologues about stupid stuff. I actually usually shy away from 1st person narrative because of that reason.

Also I love that it's a series. I always feel like there should have been another book when it's not a series.

The only thing that bugged me about the book was Derek. I feel like in the beginning he was portrayed as unintelligent like the 'big dumb brute' character, and somewhere in the middle his whole personality switched. I get that it was because he got more comfortable with Chloe, but I feel like maybe even the author didn't know where she was going with his character. But that's just the vibe I got. I know we were supposed to think that he was dumb, but she went a little overboard making us think that and he did some things that I don't feel like he would have.
Again that's just me.

But overall I really loved this book! you can always tell when I love a book because it takes no time at all to read it and so far both featured books have been like that! (Memoirs I read in a week during finals and this one in a day!) ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
This blurb like:

"My name is Rebecca Butterfly and I'm the most normal, most beautiful girl at ghost school. I'm not like other girls. The only the boy I like is the only boy I can't have."

I hate first person blurbs lol but this book sounds so awful I feel like I might actually love it.
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
This was a good book to read during the month of October. For me it skipped around a little but overall was able to stay on course. I was happy that it dealt with other magical beings other than vampires. ( )
  debbieplovesbooks | Nov 27, 2018 |
The Summoning is Kelley Armstrong's (author of The Otherworld Series) debut young adult series book. The teenagers in this book, live in the same universe as the characters in The Otherworld Series, but we get a younger perspective of the already familiar world.

I absolutely love Armstrong's books and this one's no different. Armstrong recaptured her writing style, but for a much younger audience. For those who have read the other novels in The Otherworld Series, you can step right back into this world where you know supernatural creatures exist and you can just go along for the ride as Chloe discovers that the world around her is not as "normal" as she thinks.

Chloe is a great character to read. I think she identifies with a majority of teenagers in the fact that she doesn't feel like she fits with the "in crowd". She is strong and independent and really spreads her wings when she finds out that it's okay not to be "normal".

This "coming of age" novel is very fast paced and fun for all ages. It was really great to see how these teens dealt with their powers at a critical point in their mental and physical developments... and I thought puberty was hard!

I highly recommend this book for all Kelley Armstrong's fans and also for those who want to begin a journey into the world of the supernatural.

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morris, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechrer, CarrieCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter, Julia, for enduring my questions on teen life without too much eye-rolling
Mommy forgot to warn the new babysitter about the basement.
He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
"Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water."

After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home.
At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,117,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible