The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkest Powers (1)

English (210)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (213)
Really liked this book. I read it a long time ago, and I just found it at the library and remembered I had enjoyed it so I decided to pick it up again. Ive grown and matured since I last read but the story still caught my attention and held it and really, what else could you ask for in a book? ( )
  katiesoars | Aug 3, 2018 |
Call me a sucker but I love paranormal books just like this. I listened to this on audiobook and was instantly hooked. Can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the setting, it was something new and interesting to me. It was a little slow, at times, but only a little bit. I found myself on edge at times too, which is always good. Even though it hinted at a love interest between Chloe and Simon, I found myself drawn more to Derek, acne and all. Great twist at the end too! Overall a good read. On to book 2! ( )
  vanisheDsaRah | Apr 10, 2018 |
I love this book ( )
  lareka | Mar 28, 2018 |
The Summoning can be viewed in one of two ways, as the author intended it, and as something else. It is intended to read as the coming of age story of an adolescent necromancer, in a decidedly non-magic world, full of mystery and intrigue. It can also be viewed as the teenage struggle to accept mental illness. Possible triggers for dissociative identity disorder and other illnesses present. Kelley Armstrong spins a brilliant yarn either way you choose to take it. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |
The Summoning is Kelley Armstrong's (author of The Otherworld Series) debut young adult series book. The teenagers in this book, live in the same universe as the characters in The Otherworld Series, but we get a younger perspective of the already familiar world.

I absolutely love Armstrong's books and this one's no different. Armstrong recaptured her writing style, but for a much younger audience. For those who have read the other novels in The Otherworld Series, you can step right back into this world where you know supernatural creatures exist and you can just go along for the ride as Chloe discovers that the world around her is not as "normal" as she thinks.

Chloe is a great character to read. I think she identifies with a majority of teenagers in the fact that she doesn't feel like she fits with the "in crowd". She is strong and independent and really spreads her wings when she finds out that it's okay not to be "normal".

This "coming of age" novel is very fast paced and fun for all ages. It was really great to see how these teens dealt with their powers at a critical point in their mental and physical developments... and I thought puberty was hard!

I highly recommend this book for all Kelley Armstrong's fans and also for those who want to begin a journey into the world of the supernatural.

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morris, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechrer, CarrieCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter, Julia, for enduring my questions on teen life without too much eye-rolling
Mommy forgot to warn the new babysitter about the basement.
He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
"Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water."

After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home.
At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House . . . before its skeletons come back to haunt me.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:06 -0400)

After fifteen-year-old Chloe starts seeing ghosts and is sent to Lyle House, a mysterious group home for mentally disturbed teenagers, she soon discovers that neither Lyle House nor its inhabitants are exactly what they seem, and that she and her new friends are in danger.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,209,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible