The Girl in Saskatoon: A Meditation on…

The Girl in Saskatoon: A Meditation on Friendship, Memory and Murder (2008)

by Sharon Butala

With a promising first sentence, I was interested to read about this true crime and the unfortunate girl who was murdered. Unfortunately, this book was all about the author. I couldn't finish it. I got to page 104 and had not learnt anything about the crime that was not stated in that first sentence. I don't normally write about books I don't finish, but since this was sent to me as a Review Copy I feel obligated to give my opinion however short. The author spends the majority of this book (the part I read) comparing her life to the victim's, how they were similar and how they were different. I didn't care for the author's voice and was mostly bored with the narrative. If you are looking for True Crime, this is not the book for you. ( )
2 vote ElizaJane | Jun 10, 2008 |
I had mixed emotions reading this book. I am not usually a huge fan of true crime, but this book is really more than just about the 1962 murder of Alexandra Wiwcharuk and who did it. As a matter of fact, while there are alot of theories out there and the police can actually retrace most of the victims actions just before her murder - there has never been a person accused and prosecuted for this crime.

The author has a personal bias here as she was personally acquainted with the victim. They were friends and had lived many things together. With the arrival of DNA tests, there is hope that the semen samples and the hair that was found (Alex fought for her life) can now be analyzed, but what makes this book more than just your standard true crime is the intense personal feelings the author feels for this particular murder.

Of course, because of the close, personal relationship between Sharon and Alex, the story gets intensely personal and you can feel the author's pain as she tries to make some sens of the situation.

It is obvious to me, that Sharon also feels some guilt - as she tries to work out through the telling of this story - why one person is targeted for murder while the other one (who although living a different life - in a different place) is exempt.

This book is very introspective and is very broody.

I enjoyed this read, but felt frustrated that the guilty person has never been found - it feels like somebody told me a story and ripped out the last page. ( )
  Nitestar | Jun 1, 2008 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible