Hunger (1890)

by Knut Hamsun

3,9311032,184 (4.06)1 / 271
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature. Originally published in 1890, this classic of modern literature follows an impoverished Norwegian writer through the streets of Christiania (now Olso) as he struggles on the edge of starvation. Existing on what little money he makes from selling the occasional article to the local paper, and down to pawning the clothes on his back, the young writer slowly loses control of his reason and begins to slip increasingly into bouts of madness, paranoia, and despair.A gripping portrait of an artist struggling for integrity, Hunger mirrors the dire straits of Hamsun's own life when he brought this, his then incomplete first novel, to a publisher in 1888.… (more)
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (ateolf)
    Doctor Glas by Hjalmar Söderberg (Henrik_Madsen)
    Henrik_Madsen: Two books by Scandinavian authors offering a surprinsingly interesting and disturbing insight into unique personalities.
    Going to the Dogs: The Story of a Moralist by Erich Kästner (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Well educated, principled man has a variety of experiences and misfortunes in a big city
    Youth by J. M. Coetzee (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Fictionalized account of the author's youth struggling to succeed as an artist in the city.
    New Grub Street by George Gissing (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: A jobbing writer struggles to survive below the poverty line.
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: A narrator at odds with society – is he a genius or a madman?
    The Fall by Albert Camus (chrisharpe)
    Lotte Weeda by Maarten 't Hart (paulstalder)
    Har någon sett mig någon annanstans? : skärvor ur en ganska lång natt by Beate Grimsrud (LottaBerling)
    Death on the Installment Plan by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (helio_)
    The City in Crimson Cloak by Aslı Erdoğan (LottaBerling)
    Stad i ljus : en historia från Paris på 20-talet by Eyvind Johnson (Mouseear)
    Die Liebe der Fische by Steinunn Sigurdardottir (paulstalder)

English (92)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (103)
Artistic squatter
malnourished schizophrenic
thanklessly alive. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
I don't understand why anybody would be surprised that this guy could be a Nazi.

Super easy to read, a few hours, no more. The guy understood that a one-idea book with no plot has to be short. I don't mean that to be deprecating. It's gripping, on the edge-of-your-seat-stuff. Well, I read it on the bed, lying down, but. ( )

Let's check in on the mental state of our narrator at the top of page 57:
"I laughed, laughed and slapped my knees, laughed like a madman. And not a sound emerged from my throat: my laughter was feverish and silent, with the intensity of tears..."How about at the bottom of that same page?
"I lay with open eyes in a state of utter absence from myself and felt deliciously out of it."And what about the next page?
"My first feeling was a stupid amazement at finding myself out in the open, but this was soon replaced by a bitter despondency; I was on the verge of crying with grief at still being alive."This guy goes from manic laughter to blissful placidity to "bitter despondency" in under 2 pages. His emotional roller coaster has flown off the tracks and collided with another roller coaster on the other side of the amusement park. And he keeps this up throughout the whole novel!

Hunger is not meant to be read at a leisurely pace. Every decision the narrator makes is a life-or-death one, and he's constantly in motion, both mentally and physically. His life feels exhausting even without factoring in that he typically hasn't eaten anything in three or four days.

I've seen other reviews compare the narrator to Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment and the Underground Man from Notes from Underground, and I can see why. His encounter with Ylajali in Part 3 is very similar to the Underground Man's interaction with Liza, and his relationship with the city of Kristiania (now known as Oslo) reminds me of Raskolnikov's connection to St. Petersburg. But the big difference I see between the impoverished hero of Knut Hamsun and those of Dostoevsky is the purpose for which each character writes.

Both the Underground Man and Raskolnikov live their lives in an attempt to follow the philosophy of their writings. Part One of Notes from Underground is a rambling diatribe that explains the behavior of the Underground Man in Part Two. Raskolnikov's thesis On Crime is his own attempt to justify his actions. But the narrator in Hunger has no such motivation for his work. When he writes, he isn't setting out to condemn modern society or to justify the crimes of the powerful. His goal is to eat. All three men write a great deal throughout their respective stories, but while we read the entirety of the Underground Man's memoirs and are given a picture of Raskolnikov's On Crime through conversation, our information on the writing of Hamsun's narrator is limited, and that's because it really doesn't matter. When this man finishes a piece, he doesn't see a literary work. He sees ten kroner.

That's what makes Hunger so compelling. There's nothing romantic about starving half to death, and Hamsun doesn't attempt to make it seem that way. In fact, the ending of the novel, where the narrator abandons Kristiania for a job on a boat, is a nice "no thanks" to the whole starving artist thing, which is about as unromantic as it gets. Despite the complicated thought process of the narrator, this is a very simple book about a simple problem, and it's handled beautifully. ( )
  bgramman | May 9, 2020 |

Singer, Isaac BashevisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worster, W. W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hunger ( [2001]IMDb)
Sult (1966IMDb)
It was in those days when I wandered about hungry in Kristiania, that strange city which no one leaves before it has set his mark upon him. . .
Det var i den tid jeg gikk omkring og sultet i Kristiania, denne forunderlige by som ingen forlater før han har fått merker av den ....

Norwegian title: Sult

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,588,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible