Hunger: A Novel by Knut Hamsun

Hunger: A Novel (original 1890; edition 1967)

by Knut Hamsun, Robert Bly (Translator), Isaac Bashevis Singer (Introduction)

2,906761,985 (4.07)1 / 165
Member:poetontheone
Title:Hunger: A Novel
Authors:Knut Hamsun
Other authors:Robert Bly (Translator), Isaac Bashevis Singer (Introduction)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (1967), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 232 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:1001, 19th century, fiction, nobel prize, read, scandinavian, literature, unowned

Hunger by Knut Hamsun (1890)

English (68)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (76)
ვისაც ფიქრი და სიტყვების თამაშ უყვარს კარგია​ ( )
  buqu | Nov 12, 2014 |
The frenetic story of a young man down on his luck, starving, near homeless, freezing, manic. This is Raskolnikov minus malice, by all accounts a vital stepping stone in the development of modern literature.

I just didn't love it.

Now if I had read this around the same age I was when I read Crime and Punishment, I probably would have loved it, but maybe the romance without finance is a nuisance, to quote a line by Tiny Grimes. The writing is good, compelling even, and the narrator demands both sympathy and revulsion at times, and his exploits both tragic and harrowing.

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
The ending was a disappointment. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
The ending was a disappointment. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |

Polet, CoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worster, W. W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hunger ( [2001]IMDb)
Sult (1966IMDb)
It was in those days when I wandered about hungry in Kristiania, that strange city which no one leaves before it has set his mark upon him. . .
Det var i den tid jeg gikk omkring og sultet i Kristiania, denne forunderlige by som ingen forlater før han har fått merker av den ....

Norwegian title: Sult

This powerful, autobiographical novel by a Nobel Prize-winning author made literary history when it was first published in 1890. A modern classic about a penniless, unemployed young writer, the book paints an unforgettable portrait of a man driven to the edge of self-destruction by forces beyond his control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:42 -0400)

"Originally published in 1890, this classic of modern literature follows an impoverished Norwegian writer through the streets of Christiania (now Oslo) as he struggles on the edge of starvation. Existing on what little money he makes from selling the occasional article to the local paper, and down to pawning the clothes on his back, the young writer slowly loses control of his reason and begins to slip increasingly into bouts of madness, paranoia, and despair."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Current discussions

Hunger by Knut Hamsun in Book talk

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible