Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines…

Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the…

by Aaron Cohen

Excellent book. Great information on how Israel and other countries operate militarily. Seems most governments expect miracles from their people, thenpromptly forget to help them transition back to public life. Its good that the support within the special forces teams continues to be expressed and experienced between the former members. ( )
  twylyghtbay | Feb 27, 2013 |
I started reading this book on a flight lasting about 2 hours. Before I went to bed that night, I had finished the book. I don't normally finish a book in a day since I have small kids and other things that demand my time, but somehow I found the time to finish this one in a single day.

Perhaps the most fascinating thing about the book was that you were given an inside look into the mindset of the Israeli military. I have read books about Israel and the wars they fought, but none of them gave you an up close and personal look at the daily life contained within the various units. It was a pretty interesting look into the mindset of the IDF.

The author's unit had a unique mission in that they went undercover in the West Bank and performed surveillance, raids, arrests of militants, and other interesting tasks. In order to survive in this environment, their training was pretty violent. I particularly liked the portions of his training where they taught him how to get over the fear of getting hit. Having to fight his way to the front of a crowded bus, or the various sessions learning the Krav Maga fighting technique were just so interesting to me. I can't even begin to imagine the physical fighting proficiency each of these soldiers had after months and months of training.

I wish there had been more time discussing the various missions within the West Bank, but I suspect there were plenty of things that could not be said without jeopardizing the security of his former unit. His time leading up to his enlistment in the IDF and the time after he was done is also included in the book. I didn't find either of those portions of the book anywhere near as interesting as the time between those two periods. ( )
1 vote MatthewN | Jun 20, 2009 |
Fascinating look at what's involved in being a member of the Israeli Special Forces. ( )
  lynnm | Jul 23, 2008 |
Aaaron Cohen's memoir of his life in Israel's most elite counter terrorism unit is a fascinating read. On one level he writes about daily life in the army in Israel - combat exercises, firearm training, and the basics of grueling army life. On the other hand he writes about his life growing up in Beverly Hills, the son of producers who see him rarely and barely give him basic parental attention. It's easy to see what he found fascinating about the army - the strict regimented life was something that he surely craved. His story grows more poignant as he writes about his growing yearning to leave the army, his fall into stress, burnout and finally post-traumatic stress induced by his return to Beverly Hills. He clearly had no idea what to do with himself once he was a civilian again. I was interested to see how he emerged from the depression his civilian life caused - Cohen eventually started his own consulting company in the wake of 9/11 and he now coaches police and other US defense organizations in Israel's counter terrorism tactics. I thought this was a great story, a quick read and one that would capture the imagination of many readers easily! ( )
1 vote kmoellering | Apr 4, 2008 |

At the age of 18, Beverly Hills native Aaron Cohen left his life of comfort to prove himself in the crucible of the armed forces - and not just any armed forces. He was determined to be a part of Israel's most elite security forces - the equivalent of our the US Navy SEALS and UK SAS. He was offered the only post a non-Israeli can hold: in a top-secret, highly controversial unit which dispatches operatives disguised as Arabs into the Palestinian-controlled West Bank to abduct Hamas leaders and bring them to Israel for trial.Between 1997 and 2000, Aaron Cohen would learn flawless Hebrew and conversational Arabic, lose any semblance of his all-American-90210 appearance, and participate in over 200 life or death missions, including: disguised as a Palestinian guest, he and his team crash the wedding of a Hamas leader's daughter, wrestle the enemy to the ground and steal him away for trial; posing as an American journalist to set a trap for one of the financiers behind the Dizengoff Massacre, taking him down in a brutal, hand-to-hand fight; and, pulling the dead and dying from the rubble of a shopping mall, the target of a suicide bomber who detonated a nail bomb.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:27 -0400)

Documents the author's choice to leave his privileged life in Beverly Hills to become a member of Israel's most elite security force, for which he became an expert in urban counterterror warfare and participated in more than two hundred life-or-death missions.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,121,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible