Murder by family : the incredible true story…

Murder by family : the incredible true story of a son's treachery & a… (2008)

by Kent Whitaker

Savage Son by Corey Mitchell (stezton)
    stezton: The story of the murders orchestrated by Kent Whitaker's son.

I very rarely read non-fiction, but after reading Cindy's review of this book, I thought I would give it a try. It has been a few days since I finished the book and I am still going over passages in my head in hopes of putting my thoughts into words for this review. This was an incredible book about the personal strength and faith of one man. Murder By Family tells how Kent Whitaker's values and love for Bart allowed him to forgive his son for the greatest of sins. I would consider this a very religious book (another genre I rarely read), because Whitaker makes a case for seeing signs from God. It is through these signs that he is able to see a way of surviving the aftermath of the murders. Kent's other contention (which I am having a hard time agreeing with) is the premise that God allowed Bart to kill his mother and brother so he could be saved and find his way into heaven. With that said, I believe Kent Whitaker believes this, and I am amazed by his personal strength and conviction. The structure of the book gave me some pause. It was told in chronological order, but the story sometimes jumped around with memories of the past or foreshadowing the future. Overall, an intense read that makes you think even after the last page is read.

To read the entire review, go to http://barneysbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/review-murder-by-family.html ( )
  jedziedz | May 20, 2009 |
It is not our ability to think that separates us from the lower animals.  It is our capacity to repent and to forgive that makes us different.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
To forgive someone is to admit our limitations.  We've been given only one piece of life's jigsaw puzzle.  Only God has the cover of the box.

--Max Lucado, Everyday Blessings
In loving memory of Tricia and Kevin
In the Bible we read that King David's darkest hour was upon hearing that his son Absalom was dead.  (Introduction)
I had always heard that your life flashed before your eyes.

Contents:

13    48 Hours and a Trial      169

14    The Verdict      181

15    Six Years to Eternity      197

Acknowledgments     209

This is the story of Kent Whitaker's journey toward forgiveness and faith after the brutal murder of his wife and one of his sons. Whitaker shows how the survivors of atrocious events can still forgive those who have permanently damaged their lives. One evening, the Whitaker family returned home after celebrating a son's impending graduation. On opening the front door, they faced a gunman lying in wait. The gunman opened fire, killing the younger son and Kent's wife, leaving Kent and his older son lying wounded until police and ambulances arrived. While recovering, Kent resolved in his heart to forgive whoever was responsible. Then it was discovered that the whole murder plot had been orchestrated by the surviving son. After a trial that resulted in a death sentence for his son, Kent emerged from this harrowing ordeal to share their astonishing journey toward forgiveness and redemption.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible