Before the Storm by Diane Chamberlain

Before the Storm

by Diane Chamberlain

3361932,756 (3.94)12

In Before the Storm each chapter was written from a different character's perspective and jumped from the past to the present. Not an easy thing to pull off, but Diane chamberlain did it well. A complex plot and many relevant issues,from postpartum depression, alcoholism, special needs child, adultery, arson, etc. maybe a few too many issues but they were all dealt with in a way that was believable. The ending was definitely unexpected. Maybe too unexpected, it kind of popped up out of nowhere. But I'm looking forward to reading more by this author. Very enjoyable reading. ( )
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
It was a solid 3 stars until the ending - too much happened too fast and some threads were not resolved at all. ( )
  olegalCA | Nov 30, 2016 |
I like this author. her books are quick moving, with events happening. I think I may have read the sequel to this one before. But I am going to give it another try now that I now the backstory. Basically there is a fire at a dance where many have been injured or died. The search for the arsonist destroys families and friendships and the reveals secrets. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
rabck from HI77; Laurel moves to Seashore resort topsail island with her husband. Isolated after the birth of their daughter, she spirals into depression and they separate, with him taking the child with him. Laurel finds a drinking buddy with her brother-in-law Marcus. Surely, wine coolers can't hurt her pregnancy with child #2, until Andy is born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Now 15, intelligent but limited, he helps the kids escape a deadly church fire. But did he have something to do with the fire? Jamie, Laurel's husband died 7 years ago, apparently taking secrets with him. Marcus, now sober, has been helping Laurel with the two kids, now teens, but he has secrets of his own. What really happened the night of the church fire? The book keeps you guessing until the end. ( )
  nancynova | Apr 4, 2015 |
For John, both helpmate and muse
They took my baby from me when he was only ten hours old.

Before the Storm is part suspense, part mystery, and one hundred percent family drama. It’s about how far family members will go to protect one another. It’s about the choices people make that come back to haunt them. And it’s about the gradual unfolding of truths that keep the characters on edge and those pages turning.

Fifteen-year-old Andy Lockwood is special.

Others notice the way he blurts out anything that comes into his mind, how he cannot foresee consequences, that he's more child than teenager. But his mother sees a boy with a heart as open and wide as the ocean.

Laurel Lockwood lost her son once through neglect. She's spent the rest of her life determined to make up for her mistakes, and she's succeeded in becoming a committed, protective parent—maybe even overprotective. Still, she loosens her grip just enough to let Andy attend a local church social—a decision that terrifies her when the church is consumed by fire. But Andy survives…and remarkably, saves other children from the flames. Laurel watches as Andy basks in the role of unlikely hero and the world finally sees her Andy, the sweet boy she knows as well as her own heart.

But when the suspicion of arson is cast upon Andy, Laurel must ask herself how well she really knows her son…and how far she'll go to keep her promise to protect him forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Laural Lockwood's 15-year-old son Andy is "special". She lost him once through neglect, but is determined to make up for her mistakes. When she allows Andy to attend a local church social she is terrified whenthe church is consumed by fire. Andy survives and saves other children as well. Initially Andy basks in the role of unlikely hero but when the suspicion of arson is cast upon Andy, Laurel must ask herself how wellshe really knows her son, and how far she'll go to keep her promise to protect him forever.… (more)

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,204,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible