Solanin by Inio Asano

Solanin

by Inio Asano

Series: Solanin (Omnibus)

I bought this book on a whim, based on the art style and the synopsis on the back. When I started reading it, I realized that it wasn't exactly what I'd been expecting. In some ways it was better, in others not so much. It's a nice story, one where most young people could most likely relate to at least one of the characters. As the author says himself, it's a story about normal average people, kind of just trying to make their way in life. It feels more as a diary than an actual story, and it's nice and breezy. But for me, it stays there. It doesn't effect me in the way I was hoping it would. It's still good though, but I doubt I'll reread it. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
One of the best ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Lyric. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
I can't think of many people I know who would enjoy Solanin like I did. A Japanese manga coming of age story? Pretty esoteric. But really well done and, for me, engrossing.

This is a 400+ pager, but they fly by. We've got twenty somethings Meiko and her boyfriend Shigeo Naruo living together in Tokyo. She works at a boring office job, and he is the songwriter/vocalist/guitarist leader of an indie rock band that's looking for a break. Meiko longs to quit, and Naruo isn't sure what's the right next step for her and him. Their friends and bandmates all have their own quirks and aspirations. Meiko has talent of her own, and faces her own decisions between a job to pay the rent and expressing her creativity.

It all took me back to those post-college days, and I got caught up in the stories of Meiko, Naruo and the others trying to figure it out, amid gentle humor and romantic yearnings. This is a quality graphic novel for those who like this kind of storytelling. Four stars. ( )
  jnwelch | Jul 17, 2014 |
In these latter days of its long strange national trip it almost seems like the classical menagerie of Japanese consumer lifestyles and rebel subcultures (bosozoku, takenokozoku, hip-hop triangle dancer, yankii, gyaru, ganguro/yamamba, surfer, "big sister style" aficionado, &c&c&c.) has given way to a new post-crash social typology of social dysfunction and prospectlessness: Haken no hinkaku looks at the travails of the office temp, Higashi no Eden spins a lightweight dream of "NEETs" ("not in education, employment, or training") and national renewal, and of course we could make similar observations on furiitaa ("freeters," the ones who hand out tissue paper at subway stations for rice ball money) and "grass-eating men" and "lifestyles of health and sustainability" folk and neofolk folk and hikikomori (shutins) and fuckin' otakus. This is a manga that feels old-fashioned but also real and not weirdly taxonomically hypertrophic for the way it reminds us that all these tribes really are is, you know, twentysomethings in a society hollowed out by the confluence of late capitalism and the remains of the hidebound society it has caused to melt into air.

Enough of my own taxonomic hypertrophy: this is a book about kids without prospects trying to have lives of beauty and not feel too demoralized and empty inside. They're all really nice and will break your heart from time to time. There's also blahy hijinx and plot twists twisting on cliches, and the first half is better than the second. But good enough that I'd watch the movie, surely. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | May 26, 2014 |
Solanin is a touching, melancholy story of people in their early 20s trying to balance love, survival and art.

Asano, Inioprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
JN ProductionsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the omnibus edition. Please do not combine with either of the individual volumes.

After graduating from college, Meiko went straight to work as an office lady, but she can't help feeling there should be something more to life. Determined to find a worthier goal, she quits work, but can she actually make her neubulous dreams come true- and how will her sudden decision affect her relationship with her boyfriend Taneda?

"Meiko Inoue is a recent college grad working as an office lady in a job she hates. Her boyfriend Shigeo is permanently crashing at her apartment because his job as a freelance illustrator doesn't pay enough for rent. And her parents in the country keep sending her boxes of veggies that just rot in her fridge. Straddling the line between her years as a student and the rest of her life, Meiko struggles with the feeling that she's just not cut out to be a part of the real world" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible