Blank Slate, Vol. 1 by Aya Kanno

Blank Slate, Vol. 1

by Aya Kanno

Artwork was beautiful, however the story puzzled me. Half of the time I was like," Wtf is going on?" The conversation is pretty bad too, sadly. 2.5 stars. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
Blank Slate is very different. Labeled as "shojo" it's really not - despite Kanno's pretty artwork and character designs. The story is set in a sci-fi-ish alternate universe, in a country called Amata that has been taken over by the military superpower Galay. The protagonist, Zen, is an anti-hero, a violent, psychopathic criminal who does what he wants without empathy. He has no memories of the past twenty years of his life (and doesn't really want them either). The only thing he knows is a burning desire to cause destruction. I'm not a fan of the anti-hero genre, it's just not my thing, so I had a hard time getting into this.

The plot itself is all over the place, beginning with a short story about a bounty hunter who has been hired to eliminate Zen, then quickly moving into a story in which Zen kidnaps a pretty blind girl who turns out to be the daughter of the most powerful man in the country. Finally, Zen finds himself allied with a seemingly cowardly doctor named Hakka, a Galayean who wants to protect the people of Amata. I have a hard time knowing what to think of this one - it's just not my cup of tea. ( )
1 vote catfantastic | Mar 16, 2013 |
Most pressingly: Why is this shojo? Shojo is about high school, love and/or magical girls. This is about I guy who goes around killing and destroying everything. He might not be human?
Even after reading the whole book I'm not sure what it's about and I might not read the other books. ( )
  LemonLover | Jul 24, 2012 |
I found this volume hard to follow - the dialogue was not well written, the character of Zen I found rather annoying. The characters a bit flat, and I really don't understand the concept of "Evil" in this book. I'm wondering if it is a bad translation. ( )
1 vote TheDivineOomba | Jul 17, 2010 |
The plot is second fiddle to Aya Kanno’s impressive artwork, which features sexy guys and more than adequate action scenes.

"What does it take to find your true inner self? Zen's memory has been wiped, and he can't remember if he's a killer or a hero."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,977,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible