Take It Personally by Roddick Anita

Take It Personally (2001)

by Roddick Anita

104None116,035 (3.7)1

No reviews
Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil disobedience. Our problem is that numbers of people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of the leaders of their government and have gone to war, and millions have been killed because of this obedience..... Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while the grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem. (Howard Zinn)
Dedicated to the activists, the grassroots organizations, the thought leaders and the alternative media who challenge the myth of the global economy and especially to Tony Clarke (Director of Polaris Institute in Canada) from whom I first heard the challenge "Take it Personally." Also to Ralph Nader, whose sense of the possibility of citizenship has been an inspiration to all of us.
I have devoted most of my working life to finding new ways of doing business, and the last ten years at least looking for ways for business to take a lead in making the world a better place.

An extraordinary book from outspoken business leader Anita Roddick that brings together some of the most prominent of authorities on globalisation (including Susan George, David Korten and Naomi Klein), taking a hard-hitting look at the myths and reality behind this phenomenon that affects us all, and showing us how we can all fight it. This is an accessible black and white edition of the successful full colour book, at a lower price point. Some of the leading names in the globalisation debate have contributed to the book, including Naomi Klein, Susan George and David Korten, as well as organisations and charities such as Greenpeace and the Rainforest Action Network. The book deals with a diverse range of the issues surrounding globalisation, including human rights, the environment, international trade and finance, health, the food we eat and the clothes we wear. Ultimately, this book is a call to action, showing how each and every one of us can take on the corporate giants and make a real difference. 'Globalisation is the most important change in the history of humankind, and the latest name for the conspiracy of the rich against the poor. It is the phenomenon most subject to the efforts of economists and statisticians, and the least understood and measured change in our time.' Anita Roddick

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,404,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible