Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine…

Midwife of the Blue Ridge

by Christine Blevins

Set in 18th century Scotland, Maggie Duncan is the sole survivor of a horrific massacre. She is taken in by a midwife and learns the woman's healing skills. After her foster mother's death, and seeing her own prospects for a happy life in Scotland dim, Maggie voluntarily goes to Colonial America as an indentured servant. What follows is an adventure beyond any she could have imagined.

Maggie is indentured to Seth Martin and his family. She finds love and acceptance within their world. Her skills as a midwife and healer are in demand. Indian raids are a threat, but even more so are the threats from disgruntled Englishmen. Maggie finds friendship and love, but also tragedy and horror.

This would be classified as a historical romance, and is hard to put down. The history of the early colonists has always fascinated me. And, having my own interest in natural healing and herbs, I found the accounts here fascinating. What herbs and techniques Maggie uses to help with healing and childbirth, and how she brings her Scottish knowledge and blends it with what she learns about healing from the colonists and Indians is interesting.

Christine Blevins certainly doesn't do anything to soften the roughness of the frontier life, including death and rape. I was disappointed, however, that she used so much vulgarity. I'm sure that hunters and farmers from this era weren't refined, but the prolific use of two words in particular was frustrating, and not always necessary.

The story is compelling and grabs your attention quickly. At some points I wished for more details and at other times, I wished for less. Overall an interesting read. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
I really loved the way the main character 'spoke', I like reading accents. Thie scottish lass is brought to America willingly as an indentured servant. She is also a midwife and healer using herbs. I really enjoyed the midwife and healing side of the character. I did however find it hard to get to know the characters better. I felt them a bit standoffish about their feelings.
The book is beautifully set and there is almost non-stop action. I loved the book by the end and was hoping the author had written more like this, but unfortunatelt she did not write about Scottish Lasses in future novels.
This is a great on Historical facts and how things were back when America was new. ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins is a rollicking adventure novel mostly set in the American wilderness. As an healer and midwife, Maggie Duncan is in search of a new life and agrees to sign papers to be an indentured servant for four years. As she travels across the ocean she draws the attention of the vicious viscount, Julian Cavendish, but with the help of captain and crew manages to evade his attentions. They also help Maggie avoid Cavendish at the auction and instead she become indentured to a kindly frontiersman, Seth Martin, who is in need of a healer for his ailing pregnant wife. It isn’t long before Maggie meets Tom, a young frontiersman and Seth’s best friend. As Tom and Maggie fall in love events and circumstances keep them apart.

Overall I enjoyed this book, it had lots of action and seemed to be fairly accurate with the historical details. I would class this book as an historical romance and because of Maggie’s Scottish language and her healing skills I was constantly reminded of the Outlander series. Maggie is a very strong, independent woman and I liked both her and Tom a lot. Unfortunately the viscount was too one dimensional and came off more like a cartoon character. I like my bad guys to have a little more depth to them than this.

Midwife of the Blue Ridge was a fairly quick, easy to read book and the author had obviously done some extensive research on herbal and natural remedies that were used in Colonial America. It was history on the light side but I would not hesitate to read this author again. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 28, 2013 |
This was a pretty good book. I'm not a huge romance reader but this book was done in good taste. Story flowed and kept me interested. It left me wanting to read others by this author. ( )
  justablondemoment | Sep 22, 2011 |
For Brian my life, my love, my heart
The Scottish Highlands: The Village of Black Corries, April 1746:

"It's a rare thing for a child to be delivered at my convenience..." Hannah launched herself from the warm cocoon of her bedcovers.

A stirring debut novel ?of love, struggle, and savagery on America?s colonial frontier? (Bernard Cornwell).

They call her Dark Maggie for her thick black hair, but the name also has a more sinister connotation. As the lone survivor of an attack on her village, she was thought to be cursed?and unfit for marriage. Maggie is also gifted with quick wits and skilled in medicine, trained as a midwife. Venturing to the colonies as an indentured servant, she hopes to escape the superstitions of the old country?and find a home of her own. But what she discovers is a New World fraught with new dangers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

They call her Dark Maggie for her thick black hair, but the name also has a more sinister connotation. As the lone survivor of an attack on her village, she was thought to be cursed--and unfit for marriage. Maggie is also gifted with quick wits and skilled in medicine, trained as a midwife. Venturing to the colonies as an indentured servant, she hopes to escape the superstitions of the old country--and find a home of her own. But what she discovers is a New World fraught with new dangers.… (more)

Christine Blevins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,313,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible