The Diplomat's Wife by Pam Jenoff

The Diplomat's Wife

by Pam Jenoff

junk — her early work (I hope)

1945. Surviving the brutality of a Nazi prison camp, Marta Nederman is lucky to have escaped with her life. Recovering from the horror, she meets Paul, an American soldier who gives her hope of a happier future. But their plans to meet in London are dashed when Paul's plane crashes.

Devastated and pregnant, Marta marries Simon, a caring British diplomat, and glimpses the joy that home and family can bring. But her happiness is threatened when she learns of a Communist spy in British intelligence, and that the one person who can expose the traitor is connected to her past.
  christinejoseph | Jun 20, 2017 |
Sequel to the kommandants, Marta survived and in nazi prison almost dying when American soldier saves her, takes her to hospital, fall in love, pregnant but assumes he died after plane crashed in London but alive and meet again during a mission. She meets up with Emma and former resistance members. ( )
  Smcgovern | Apr 1, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book very much. Set in World War Europe at the end of WW 2. The main character is Marta Nederman a prisoner of the Germans when Paul an American soldier rescues her. The book tells the circumstances of her life after the war. The twist and turns were most intriguing. I am looking forward to reading Pam Jenoff first book the Kommandant's Girl. ( )
  JCGirl | Jul 28, 2016 |
A quick read...a good story....4* for me.
Historical setting with romance, mystery, espionage.

I really enjoyed this read. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 24, 2016 |
I’d read it again–I mean as a “go back in time and make the choice to read it again” but I won’t really re-read it. I’m not sure where I stand on this book overall yet.

The Diplomat’s Wife is an interesting premise, beginning with a story that immediately gets you in the thick of the protagonist’s WWII resistance efforts, arrest, struggle to remain alive, rescue and convalescence. And it makes an admirable transition to love story where you root for her to want to live again. For about the first half of the book, I am amazed at the twists and turns of the plot. But it ends up being far more convoluted than I usually like in a story. Once you realize the type of gyrations the author is willing to employ, it’s terribly easy to predict the rest of thee entire book, which removes a lot of fun of the read.

All that said Jenoff is a tremendous painter of pictures with her words. I was there in the darkness of her cell. I was with her in the mildewy gardener’s shack with the very hot American soldier. I could clearly envision a grey, hopeless day in Poland at the park. From this perspective alone, I would recommend giving it a read. The author is really quite talented–I think she just needed an editor or someone to tell her you don’t actually have to use all of the standard “gotchas” of pseudo-suspence novels in one go.

Her talent with words has sufficiently captured my interest though to to add a book on the Resistance to my TBR list and I will likely read her acclaimed “The Kommandant’s Girl” at some point. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
To Phillip, with love.
I do not know how many hours or days I have lain on this cold, hard floor, waiting to dit.

How have I been lucky enough to come here, to be alive, when so many others are not? I should have died...But I am here.

1945. Surviving the brutality if a Nazi prison camp, Marta Nederman is lucky to have escaped with her life. Recovering from the horror, she meets Paul, an American soldier who gives her hope of a happier future. But their plans to meet in London are dashed when Paul's plane crashes. Devastated and pregnant, Marta marries Simon, a caring British diplomat, and glimpses the joy that home and family can bring. But her happiness is threatened when she learns of a Communist spy in British intelligence, and that one person who can expose the traitor is connected to her past. (978-0-7783-2512-3)

Love was not a luxury Marta Nedermann could afford during the war. But with the Nazis defeated, her life takes a surprising turn when she meets Paul, a handsome American soldier. Their whirlwind romance is cut short when his troop is deployed, but promises of marriage and a rendezvous in London bolster Marta s spirits. Then, tragically, a plane crash claims Paul s life, and Marta is left alone to discover to her delight and dismay that she is pregnant.

Now, two years later, Marta has picked up the pieces and moved on. She has started over in London with her husband, a British diplomat, with whom she shares a companionable, if passionless, marriage. Simon asks her no questions, and Marta is happy to keep close her memories of Paul and let her deeds of the past remain unspoken.

But Marta s new life is anything but simple. A new war has been brought home to her doorstep: Communist loyalists have infiltrated British intelligence, and the one person who holds the key to exposing the leak is connected to Marta s past. There is a traitor amongst them who needs to prevent Marta s involvement, and no one not her former friends or current lover can be trusted.

In this dramatic follow-up to her international bestselling debut novel,
Pam Jenoff explores the sacrifices and heartbreak that come
in a time of uneasy peace and rising paranoia, when love and
desperation can make liars of us all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:07 -0400)

1945. Surviving the brutality of a Nazi prison camp, Marta is lucky to have escaped with her life. When the American soldier she plans to wed is killed in a plane crash, she discovers she is pregnant, and marries a British diplomat in an attempt to create a happier life.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,950,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible