Rules of Deception by Christopher Reich

Rules of Deception

by Christopher Reich

Recently added byRoBRaYLeV, Shawnee08, private library, sloreck, Crotchetymama, lyneaclark, ReadingIsGroovy

English (22)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (24)
  wareagle78 | Jan 23, 2014 |
Although I enjoyed this book, and it started with a bang, I thought it had many convoluted subplots, and sometimes had to re-read some parts to remember what happened. In general, a fun and entertaining book to read. ( )
  Lupita_Garza-Grande | Aug 14, 2013 |
Dr. Jonathan Ransom and his wife Emma are moutain climbing. After they reach the summit there is a storm and they need to get off the mountain quickly. Emma skis down first, but crashes and breaks her leg. Jonathan goes to get help and when he returns finds a trail that leads to a crevasse and Emma's body. The next day he opens a letter for Emma that is a blank page and luggage claim tickets. When he goes to claim the luggage he is accosted by two men that turn out to be cops. He goes on the run using what was in the luggage and a mercedes that was left for Emma. Now Jonathan is trying to figure out what his wife was involved in before she died. Based on the reviews I thought I would like the book much more than I did. At times I was hooked, but then I found myself distracted and not enjoying it as much. I'm not sure if it was the book or me so I give it 3 stars. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Mar 29, 2013 |
I liked this book. I wish I had read it before Rules of Vengeance.Quite a few twists & turns in the plot with an interesting ending. ( )
  EctopicBrain | Jul 31, 2012 |
This is a thriller set mostly in Switzerland. Jonathan Ransom is an American doctor working for Doctors without Borders in Geneva. He is on a ski outing with his wife Emma when she is killed in a mishap. After her death, he discovers she was leading a double life as a spy, and follows her trail to try to figure out what she was up to. ( )
  FredB | Sep 18, 2011 |
OK, the thriller runs on for maybe a hundred pages too long. The hero doctor is maybe just a touch too resourceful in tight spots. And despite the fact that American author Reich is writing for an American audience, he insists on using metric measurements. But "Rules of Deception" rises above its flaws to earn a spot in your beach bag. Once you're surrounded by all that murk, you'll refuse to put the book down until the light breaks through.

To my daughters, Noelle and Katja, who give me joy
The cold breeze swept across the plain, carrying the butterfly on its drafts.

Dr Jonathan Ransom, world-class mountaineer and surgeon for Doctors Without Borders, is climbing in the Swiss Alps with his beautiful wife, Emma, when a blizzard sets in. In their efforts to escape the storm, Emma is killed when she falls into a hidden crevasse.

Twenty-four hours later, Jonathan receives an envelope addressed to his wife containing two baggage-claim tickets. Puzzled, he journeys to a remote railway station only to find himself in a life-and-death struggle for his wife's possessions. In the aftermath of the assault, he discovers that his attackers - one dead, the other mortally wounded - were, in fact Swiss police officers. More frightening still is evidence of an extraordinary act of betrayal that leaves Jonathan stunned.

Suddenly the subject of an international manhunt and the target of a master assassin, Jonathan is forced on the run. His only chance for survival lies in uncovering the devastating truth behind the secrets his wife kept from him and in stopping the terrifying conspiracy that threatens to bring the world to the brink of annihilation. Step by step, he is drawn deeper into a world of spies, high-tech weaponry, and global terrorism - a world where no one is who they appear to be and where the ends always justify the means.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385524064, Hardcover)

Lee Child on Rules of Deception
Lee Child has crafted one of literature's most popular anti-heroes in the form of Jack Reacher, the iconic ex-military policeman of his bestselling novels. The author of Nothing to Lose talks about what makes a good thriller -- and why Christopher Reich is a novelist worthy of a gold medal.

I discovered Christopher Reich exactly ten years ago. His first book came out around the same time my second book was published. The modest prosperity that one’s first book deal brings allowed me to pick up hardcovers that caught my eye. And Numbered Account caught my eye. And it lived up to its promise. It was fast, fresh, glossy, and very exciting. I thought: Reich is a keeper.

And then he got better. It was always clear that he had talent to burn, but he chose to accompany it with a real work ethic. His second, third and fourth books built and built until the release of the next one was an event to be anticipated. (And right there is my only complaint: Reich doesn’t write fast enough.)

His fifth book - The Patriot's Club - was a real achievement. It was a slam-dunk winner of the International Thriller Writer’s first annual Best Novel award. Awards are often awkward. There’s usually a measure of grumbling, because often people don’t agree with the choice of winner. But not a word was heard against "The Patriot’s Club." In fact nothing was heard, because the applause was too loud.

So I was really looking forward to Rules of Deception. I got an advance copy. I cracked it open. I started reading. Mostly I read like any other reader, but a small part of me reads like a writer. I think all writers experience the same thing. We sense things between the lines, especially energy and inspiration.

And ambition.

Rules of Deception starts with a short prologue, and then the first chapter introduces Jonathan Ransom, the main character. Two pages, and then nine pages. The prologue is a teaser. It baits the hook. It’s a two-page masterpiece. It’s intriguing, and then it’s really intriguing. It promises big things ahead. Then chapter one introduces the guy who’s going to have to deal with them. And why, indirectly.

Eleven pages. The reader in me wanted to race ahead. But the writer in me had to pause a moment. Because between the lines I was sensing something. Maybe because it’s an Olympic year I can only explain it like this: picture the high jump event. Six competitors are still in. Then five, then four. Then three. Then the gold, the silver, and the bronze are settled. But the rules of track and field allow the winner to go on. The bar is raised. A personal best. The Olympic record. The bar is raised again. World record height. The stadium goes quiet. The jumper stills himself on the runway. Intense concentration. The gold medal is already in the bag. Uncharted territory. The jumper rocks from foot to foot, his mind on nothing except jumping higher than he has ever jumped before.

That’s exactly the between-the-lines feeling I was getting from Reich, eleven pages into Rules of Deception - a world-class writer preparing to accomplish something truly noteworthy.

There are a further 377 pages. They live up to the promise. --Lee Child

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Christopher Reich on Thrillers
Name your five favorite books.

For me they’re all thrillers. The Day of the Jackal, Eye of the Needle, The Bourne Identity , Noble House, and The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. My life stopped when I picked up each of those books and it didn’t start again until I finished the last page. I didn’t actually read them so much as disappear between their covers. That was me trying to catch the Jackal before he assassinated Charles De Gaulle, and me again at the wheel of a Jaguar XKE convertible racing down the Peak in Hong Kong. The fact is that for me life is somehow better when I’m reading a great book. Richer, more exciting…heck, I don’t know, just better.

About two years ago, I decided that it was my turn to write the thriller I’d always wanted to read. I knew exactly where to start. All I had to do was "write what I know." These days, I know a lot about the intelligence community. Not the stuff you read about in the papers -- the stuff you never read about. Over the years, I’ve made a lot of friends in Washington and overseas. Diplomats, spies, soldiers, politicians – men and women at the highest levels of government. And, I can assure you that what they’ve taught me about how the world really works is a lot more interesting and a lot more frightening than you’d ever imagine.

That’s where my newest book, Rules of Deception, comes in. It’s a story about an honest and courageous doctor named Jonathan Ransom. He’s a surgeon who works for Doctors Without Borders in some of the toughest parts of the world. He’s a happily married man with a big heart and a beautiful English wife he deeply loves named Emma who works with him. What Jonathan doesn’t know is that nothing about his life is what it seems. In fact, it’s all a web of lies and he’s caught in the middle of something extraordinarily dangerous.

I can’t say more than that, and I shouldn’t have to, because if I’ve done my job right, when you get to page five you’ll be hooked and you won’t come up for air until it’s all said and done. --Christopher Reich

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:51 -0400)

Dr. Jonathan Ransom, world-class mountaineer and surgeon for Doctors Without Borders, is climbing in the Swiss Alps with his beautiful wife, Emma, when a blizzard sets in. In their bid to escape the storm, Emma is killed when she falls into a hidden crevasse. Twenty-four hours later, he is the subject of an international manhunt and the target of a master assassin. His only chance at survival lies in uncovering the devastating truth behind the secret his wife kept from him and in stopping the terrifying conspiracy that threatens to bring the world to the brink of annihilation.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,355,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible