Pagan's Daughter by Catherine Jinks

Pagan's Daughter (2006)

by Catherine Jinks

1462081,994 (3.42)25

For me, the most compelling aspect was Babylonne's emotional and spiritual growth. She went from a girl who hated catholic monks and was full of anger towards everyone to a girl who trusted and learned to forgive those who trespassed against her. I really expected this book to be suspensful and full of warfare, but it wasn't to the degree I hoped. You can definitely tell this book is geared more towards younger children through her diction and events that occur. I don't see this as a teen book. AHS/SW
  edspicer | Apr 14, 2010 |
Reviewed by Christina Tsichlis for TeensReadToo.com

BABYLONNE, by Catherine Jinks, is the story of a sixteen-year-old girl in early thirteenth-century Languedoc.

It is a time of war, persecution, and religious controversy. Jinks' knowledge of the era as a scholar lends a truth and vividness to the coming-of-age tale of a young, feisty girl in the middle of a war. She is able to paint everything from the sights, sounds, and smells of monasteries to the sights, sounds, and smells of wars and infirmaries inside besieged fortresses. Her writing is not for the weak of heart, or the weak of stomach in some places.

Babylonne is a young woman who has spent her life surrounded by bloodshed and abuse and has remained an independent thinker despite it all. She never knew her mother, a Good Christian, and never knew her father, an Arab-born Roman priest. She lives with her aunt and other women in a convent of sorts. As she is considered to be a child with no father, because her father was a Roman priest, she is mistreated and abused in many ways.

Finally, when she is going to be married off to a man who is so old that he sees everything as giant bouncing olives, she makes a run for it.

While Babylonne runs through her city, stolen goods in tow, she runs into a Roman priest, Isidore, whom she despises at first. Gradually, Isidore teaches her to trust and the differences between her faith and his faith come into question and are open for debate. Her original wish, to fight for the exiled lords against the French, comes into question as she learns what war really means. Babylonne's honest voice is dramatic, humorous, and sometimes heartbreaking.

The one thing that I truly wish was different with this book is the cover art. Babylonne is supposed to be as dark as a Moor but the cover shows her as pale, brown-eyed, and red-haired. While the cover is dramatic and beautiful, I wish that it showed the main character as she is written, because everything else is so carefully researched and laid out.

Overall, Jinks' writing style is easy to get into and the historical knowledge makes Babylonne's world leap off the page. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 9, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book will appeal mostly to fans of the Pagan series. History buffs (especially medieval or religious history) will also get into it. Not knowing much about the Cathars, I got a little lost at times. But Babylonne is just as mouthy, tough, and smart as her father and that's why I enjoyed it. ( )
  mosylu1 | Jul 9, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Babylonne by Catherine Jinks is a historical novel set in the medieval ages. Babylonne, the main character, is a Cathar living secretly in Toulouse. This is taking place during which Cathars are seen as heretics, and many have been massacred. When the relatives she lives with tire of her disrespect and lose all hope that she could ever be a perfect (the priestly class of the Cathars), they decide to marry her off to a senile old man. Horrified, Babylonne runs away. New obstacles arise as she reluctantly ends up traveling with a Roman Catholic priest.

I liked this book a lot, though I had a few problems. The first, no fault of the author, was that I have not yet read any of the past Pagan books. It was fine as a standalone, however I wonder if certain things might have been spoiled for me. I found it very historical, which was interesting, but also a little confusing. I had to pull out my notes on the Albigensian Crusade to give myself some context. Someone who is not very interested in detailed and subtle history might not enjoy it so much.

Babylonne was certainly a tough heroine; I liked her ways of self-defense, and her inner monologue. She had a sort of street sense in a way, for knowing not to reveal her faith.
For all that Babylonne was an intrepid girl, she was also a realistic character. The blood and death that came with the battles was not easy for her to deal with, and she didn’t suddenly decide to pick up a sword and make a last, useless stand. The situations she was put in were also realistic. Men didn’t treat her as a comrade-in-arms, they were rough with her, and unwelcoming on the battlefield.

There was no beauty, no glossing over. Babylonne manages to be an excellent hero, who could have actually existed.
2 vote Krither | Jul 6, 2009 |
I haven't read Jinks series on Pagan, but I will after reading this book. If you've read the Pagan series by this author, this book focuses on his daughter, growing up in England in with a group of female family members that believe in the old ways and loathe Roman priests and their religion. She is the bastard child of a Roman priest and a woman of old beliefs. Because she is constantly mistreated and about to be sent to marry a man old enough that he won't defile her, she runs away, ends up meeting with a friend of her father's and starts a journey that will change her forever. ( )
  knielsen83 | Mar 5, 2009 |
Oh no.
"Pagan's Daughter" has also been published under the the title "Babylonne"

Exotic and exciting, this unflinching coming-of-age tale featuring a headstrong heroine weaves a vivid tapestry of life in the Middle Ages.

Early thirteenth-century Languedoc is a place of valor, violence, and persecution. At age sixteen, Babylonne has survived six bloody sieges. She's tough, resourceful, and — now that her strict aunt and abusive grandmother intend to marry her off to a senile old man —desperate. Disguised as a boy, Babylonne embarks on an action-packed adventure that amounts to a choice: trust the mysterious Catholic priest — a sworn enemy to her Cathar faith — who says he's a friend of her dead father, Pagan. Or pursue a fairy-tale version of her future, one in which she'll fight and likely die in a vicious war with the French. Though Babylonne never knew her irreverent father, fans of Catherine Jinks's novels about Pagan Kidrouk will be sure to see the resemblance in his feisty daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:17 -0400)

In the violent and predatory world of thirteenth-century Languedoc, Pagan's sixteen-year-old daughter disguises herself as a boy and runs away with a priest who claims to be a friend of her dead father and mother, not knowing whether or not she can trust him, or anyone.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Catherine Jinks's book Babylonne was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible