The Stepmother by Carrie Adams

by Carrie Adams

Series: Mothers (2)

Want to finish - true to life - Good
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
This is a follow up to the Godmother which I thought was an excellent read. It takes up where the Godmother ended with some of the same characters you came to love. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a light read. ( )
  Draak | Nov 2, 2010 |
Just great! I am reading her two books backwards but I have The Godmother in my hands right this minute and am looking forward to another easy solution to getting myself through my Nordic Track efforts!! Getting a look at the same situation from both sides is a wonderful experience in Carrie Adams' hands. ( )
  nyiper | Jun 16, 2010 |
I wasn’t expecting the depth and seriousness of the topics brought forth in this book. I’m not sure why, since the book jacket spelled it out for me, but maybe I was surprised at the way Bea changed and the serious pitfall she fell into. I thought Carrie Adams painted a detailed picture of both characters, alternating between then through various chapters. I was able to hear both their voices and understand their problems. I don’t know if I would say I particularly liked the story, I found it to be a very sad story (albeit true to form for life), but Bea was able to pull herself out of her depressing and addiction and become stronger (one of my requirements for a good book!). ( )
  traciragas | May 31, 2010 |
The summary alludes to Tessa and Bea finding out that they need each other. That, oddly enough, they understand where the other is coming from. However, this encounter does not happen until well past the halfway mark. And the encounter is nothing that I expected, and their future interactions are surprising as well. Yet we watch as Tessa and Bea both come to terms with themselves, with each other, and their love for James Kent.

Carrie Adams does an excellent job with capturing both women's perspectives to the extent where I sympathized with both of them. She delivers a wonderfully-written story that is totally believable and contains a touch of witty humor. ( )
  theepicrat | Apr 2, 2009 |

Tessa King (heroine of Adams's first novel) has finally nabbed hers: James, an older man with three charming daughters from a previous marriage. These daughters—including daddy's girl extraordinaire, 14-year-old Amber—don't seem so lovely once stepmother-in-waiting Tessa has to deal with their dirty school uniforms and petty jealousies. Nor did Tessa sign up for the emotional baggage of James's ex-wife, Bea, who broke James's heart. With all the angst, how's a girl supposed to plan the perfect white wedding? Meanwhile, Bea—who shares narration duty—still has a torch burning for James and has buried years of regret and guilt under binge eating and, soon, compulsive drinking. Family dramas and crises bring Bea and Tessa together with surprising results.

Bea was once the apple of her husband's eye-- but now he's picked a more succulent fruit. Tessa is younger, fitter, prettier ... but does that make her wicked?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible