What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel by Irina…

What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel

by Irina Reyn

2731941,545 (3.45)18
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Irina Reyn updates the classic _Anna Karenina_ to the Russian diaspora of New York City.

I'm ambivalent about this book. It was a really interesting story about the culture of Russian immigrants and Jews. There was really only one person that I could say wasn't deeply flawed. The book was a well-written study of human character and relationships. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
I think this book would have been a lot more meaningful if I'd actually read Anna Karenina already. But as it was, it was a very interesting story, well written and entertaining. And it made me want to read the original even more than I wanted to before! ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
Reyn has chosen to taken the essence of Anna Karenina, using the New York City Russian-Jewish community for the setting and characters. 21st century people aren’t any more enthralled with a wife’s infidelity than they were in 18th century Russia. Beyond the story plot which you can read in many places, I was entranced with the variety of characters as well as what appear to be the insular communities of the Jewish immigrants. I’m glad I read this debut novel. Reyn was able to take me into a segment of American live of which I knew nothing. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 14, 2015 |
I really liked this. Granted, I've never read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, but this seems true in spirit to the original, if modified. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |

Was inspired by

Anna K. was not the only pale woman in black shearling to glide along 108th Street in Rego Park, but she was the most striking.

Married unhappily to a prominent member of her tight-knit Russian-Jewish immigrant community in Queens, vivacious Anna K. engages in a reckless affair with an outsider on whom she has pinned fleeting hopes for freedom. Reimagines Tolstoy's classic tragedy, Anna Karenina, for our time.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible