Cancer on Five Dollars a Day (chemo not…

Cancer on Five Dollars a Day (chemo not included): How Humor Got Me… (2008)

by Robert Schimmel

Other authors: Alan Eisenstock (Author)

I first heard of Robert Schimmel on Adam Carolla's podcast a few months ago. I stumbled across his comedy special on Showtime a few weeks later, and my girlfriend and I were in tears laughing so hard.

I found this book in the health section of a bargain book store, and I'm not sure it belongs there. Although it deals with Schimmel's diagnosis and fight against cancer, it has so many hilarious, personal, heartfelt stories, it might belong in the humor or self-help section. Few books make me laugh out loud while reading, and this was one.

At only about 190 pages, it's an easy read. If you can deal with quite a few dirty jokes, I'd recommend it. ( )
  thatwordnerd | Dec 29, 2009 |
You can read my published review here:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2009/03/21/040156.php ( )
  Uninvitedwriter | Mar 21, 2009 |

Robert Schimmelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisenstock, AlanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robert: for Derek

Alan: to B, J, K, and Z

This book is also dedicated to those who have fought the fight. And to those of you that are just starting. Think positive. Keep the faith. Find something to be thankful for each and every day. And laugh. Take it from me, laughter is the best medicine.

In the spring of 2000, Robert Schimmel was riding high. He’d won the Stand-Up of the Year Award, his HBO special was a huge hit, and his sitcom had been picked up. And then it all came crashing down. Diagnosed with Stage III non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, he was told he would have to undergo chemotherapy immediately. The sitcom was dumped and the fire of his white-hot career started to go out. But Schimmel never lost his sense of humor, his knife-like edge, and most of all, his passion to entertain. Indeed, it was his basic need to laugh-even if the only people around him were suffering from cancer and the room he was playing was the Mayo Clinic infusion center-that carried him through his ordeal. From his colorful banter with nurses and other patients during chemo, to his hilarious conversation with a wig salesman, going for the laugh was Robert Schimmel’s survival mechanism. Alternately laugh-out-loud funny and profound, Cancer on Five Dollars a Day is an honest account of how one man’s face-off with a deadly disease helped him better understand himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:00 -0400)

The stand-up comedian describes his battle with cancer; the sense of humor and need to entertain that got him through the long months of illness, hospitals, and chemotherapy; and how the experience changed him and his comedy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible