Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)

English (317)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (323)
I was anticipating the day that I got to start reading Paper Towns. I had always wanted to read this book, especially after reading The Fault in our Stars (which I loved), but just never got around to doing so. Finally, someone on Goodreads chose for me to read this in a challenge that I was participating in. Although, I rated Paper Towns with just a 3.5, I am glad that she chose this book for me. Here is why…

Paper Towns is a book that definitely has it’s twists and turns, which is what kept me intrigued and turning each page, but it, no doubt, had some very slow parts. Margo and Quentin, Q, are the two main characters of this book, but these are the two characters I had no connection to…whatsoever. I was very disappointed in the lack of personality and underdevelopment we received from Q, I desperately wanted some growth from him.

The book starts off with something that no one would want to go through, but the young lives of Margo and Quentin have to go through that pain. Soon, we fast forward to their high school days where Margo is miss popular and Quentin, a ‘band geek.’ The two have drifted a part from their younger days, but from afar Q is still admiring Margo. One night changes it all, when a thrilling adventure turns their lost friendship into something new. But, soon the friendship is gone when Margo makes a decision that effects everyone around her.

Q searches for clues and goes through the rest of his senior year desperately trying to figure out what went wrong…or even what he did to have caused this. He just wants to know, is his childhood friend alive or dead?

Throughout this story there are a tremendous amounts of ups and downs, which I enjoyed. John Green, a spectacular author, did keep me intrigued throughout the book, but I do think there could have been more because at times I tended to doze off. The clues become obvious, but no one else in the book seems to think so and there are moments that go on forever that should only last a few pages. I wouldn’t say I was disappointed in this book, I just wish that there would have been more depth within the two main characters. ( )
  erica_novelink | May 5, 2015 |
"Looking for Alaska", the happy version. Both involve a crush on a manic pixie dream girl that turns out to be an actual human (and a disaster).

Since this is Green's book after "Looking for Alaska", I can't help but feel that the content is him wringing out the last feelings for his lost Lenore. That doesn't mean it's not good. In fact, it's great that it continues the same themes of one of my all-time favorite books -- putting a girl you barely really know on a pedestal. But where LfA was a boarding school book, this is more of a questy mystery.

And this time, there's more of a resolution. Which makes me think the author made a concentrated effort to make "Paper Towns" more commercial. There's quite a few more characters to keep track of, ones that don't always distinguish themselves in the woodwork. Also, like "The Fault in Our Stars", there's a few instances of teenagers doing and saying things that are way too sophisticated to be plausible.

I would love to know what differences Green made in his writing processes for both books. It's lighter and sweeter. Like all the things we wanted to say to Alaska, get said. If you didn't like LfA, you won't like this. But if you liked Abundance of Katherines or TFiOS, you might. ( )
  theWallflower | Apr 14, 2015 |
One month before high school graduation, Quentin Jacobsen wakes one night to find his neighbor, beautiful, unattainable Margo Roth Spiegelman, at his window. She invites him along on a night of payback for all who have ticked her off, ending in breaking into Sea World just for the fun of it. As Q (Quentin) relishes the exhilaration of the experience and hopes for more, he eventually finds out that Margo went missing the next morning. He finds clues evidently left for him and he follows them, unsure if they will lead them to being her knight in shining armor or finding her body decomposing in some out of the way place. Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass provides some possible insight as Quentin tries to figure out the real Margo vs. the paper Margo. This 305 page novel ties philosophical exploration of life to apparently shallow characters that party as graduation nears, making it a novel for grades 9 & up. ( )
  sgrame | Apr 13, 2015 |
RGG: Teenage novel of angst wrapped in the humor of high school with references to Walt Whitman, The Bell Jar, and Emily Dickinson.
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 13, 2015 |
As I got more and more into the story, I enjoyed it more, but it just didn't really hold a candle to TFIOS. It had a nice balance of fun, meaning, mystery, and character development. It read quickly and I didn't want to abandon it, I just wasn't compelled to stay up late to see what would happen. ( )
  sbenne3 | Apr 11, 2015 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,307,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible