Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)

English (334)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (340)
  Jen.Hamilton | Jul 25, 2015 |
It must be said that John Green is an absolutely phenomenal writer. The only experience I had with his writing was The Fault in Our Stars which is completely different from Paper Towns (except for the main characters being teenagers). There is another similarity in that you are made more aware by reading this book. It's an excellent book for introspection. You're almost led to believe that the book is about Margo Roth Speigelman when in point of fact it's about Quentin "Q" Jacobsen and in actuality he is really just a stand-in for the reader. (This book is also a love letter to Walt Whitman. Seriously.) This is the story of someone who everyone felt they knew but at the same time was unknowable. It is more the story of someone who wanted to know that person as utterly and completely as they knew themselves. We are all so many facets and pieces put together and what we choose to show to the world may not even be a true reflection of what lives inside of us. John Green somehow articulates this and makes it okay that it is not always possible to get to the root of a person and that even if you do you might discover that what you find there is nothing like what you imagined or hoped. 10/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Jul 23, 2015 |

Warning: The review you are about to read contains very unpopular opinions.

I am fully aware of John Green's current popularity. Yet after trying my hardest to read his books and enjoy them to the fullest, I was unfortunately unable to join the hype, and therefore do not understand the reason for such overwhelming praise. After reading three of Green's books, and not being as satisfied as other readers were, I decided Paper Towns would either make it or break it for me. Well... it broke it for me.

How many times can an author write the same thing over and over again but with different words and names? It seems as if for the majority of his books, John Green uses a formula. An incredibly unrealistic girl an incredibly unrealistic guy funny/ridiculous side characters an unrealistic/mediocre plot jumbled and rushed metaphors and poetic phrases = $$$/success. Math rules.

An incredibly unrealistic girl:
You see, Margo Roth Spiegelman, a.k.a. Alaska, is nothing like you've ever seen before. She isn't just a girl, or a next door neighbor, or even a high school student; Margo is a miracle, an adventure, a mystery, a ninja, the greatest creation of all. The reader is constantly reminded of Margo's uniqueness and awesomeness and out of this world...ness...
Margo was not a miracle. She was not an adventure. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
Oh... awkward. Moving on. Margo was a preposterous and unrealistic character. She constantly went against the system for no reason at all except to be written as "different". She continuously runs away and joins the circus and capitalizes letters in the middle of a word because she feels bad that they don't receive enough attention and leaves clues behind for people to find her and then gets mad when people do find her and doesn't care about school or family or people overall but cares only for her egocentric and self-absorbed self with no interest or concern for other people and how she impacts their daily lives and.... I need to breathe. My run off sentence is enough to prove that I unambiguously disliked Margo Roth Spiegelman. And it also didn't help that even though she wasn't even in 2/3 of the book, she still managed to somehow revolve the story around her.

An incredibly unrealistic guy:
Miles (Colin?) - ahem, I mean Quentin - is everything like you've ever seen before. He's just a guy. A guy who's social status isn't really on top, who is somewhat awkward and nerdy, and who is deeply in love with a seemingly unattainable girl. Oh, sorry, did I say deeply in love? I meant obsessed.
That doesn't sound like my Margo", she said, and I thought of my Margo, and all of us looking at her reflection in different funhouse mirrors.
What bothered me most about Paper Towns (aside from Margo... no one beats Margo) was the fact that the reader was persistently being fed the lie that Quentin had been in love with Margo ever since they were children. Quentin's friendship with Margo during their childhood had been brief and they were never really friends after. He didn't know her as a person but instead saw her as a divine figure; a goddess. My mind can't accept that a person could be genuinely in love with someone when they don't even know jack squat about the other person. Quentin himself even asks, "Who is the real Margo?" The whole story is about Quentin solving the mystery of who the real Margo is rather than who she makes herself out to be or how people perceive her. I can understand that he was in love with the idea of her, but to genuinely love her? I simply didn't buy it. His obsession was so grand to the point that he dropped everything in search of her narcissistic self and nonstop thinks about her. Quentin kissed the ground she walked on, slept on the ground she slept on (quite literally), and followed her every order. It was obsession, not love.

Funny/ridiculous side characters:
The side characters, mainly Ben and Radar, are truly what made me just keep swimming. I have to give John Green some credit; his side characters never fail to make me laugh. The ridiculousness of Ben and the overuse of the word 'hunnybunnies' as well as his adventures to the rise of his social status was entertaining. Radar's weird black Santa Claus filled-house made me giggle for no reason at all. The main reason I embraced Ben and Radar so easily was because they were a very needed relief from the Margo-orientated plot. It felt nice to take a break from Margo and focus on someone else.
Those of us who frequent the band room have long suspected that Becca maintains her lovely figure by eating nothing but the souls of kittens and the dreams of impoverished children.
A mediocre plot mixed with rushed metaphors:
Quentin and his friends embark on a journey to find the lost treasure, Margo, whom they must discover the mystery behind (but never really do in the end). And... that's pretty much it, aside from the metaphorical and philosophical mumbo jumbo the author feels the need to include but in truth is completely unnecessary and badly executed.
“Listen, kid. This is what happens: Somebody-girl usually-got a free spirit, doesn't get on too good with her parents. These kids, they're like tied-down helium balloons. They strain against the string and strain against it, and then something happens, and that string gets cut, and they just fly away. And maybe you never see the balloon again. It lands in Canada or somethin', gets work at a restaurant, and before the balloon even notices, it's been pouring coffee in that same dinner to the same sad bastards for thirty years. Or maybe three or four years from now or three or four days from now, the prevailing winds take the balloon back home, because it needs money, or it sobered up, or it misses its kid brother. But listen, kid, that string gets cut all the time."

"Yeah, bu-"

"I'm not finished, kid. The thing about these balloons is that there are so goddamned many of them. The sky is choked full of them, rubbing up against one another as they float to here or from there, and every one of those damned balloons ends up on my desk, one way or another, and after awhile a man can get discouraged. Everywhere the balloons, and each of them with a mother and father, or God forbid both, and after a while, you can't even see'em individually. You look up at all the balloons in the sky and you can see all of the balloons, but you cannot see any one balloon.”

Well, that was a mouthful. And a very unnecessary one at that.

And now for the final product... Drum roll please.......
$$$$$$$$$$ Cha-ching! ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Probably this YA novel will appeal more to its target audience. I guess I am too old & fuddy-duddy because I can't help wondering if a story in which a 18-year-old girl who goes missing (not for the first time) is portrayed as the cool kid is really the kind of role model teens should be reading about. However, Q's musings about life and how well we ever know another person were interesting and I enjoyed the interactions between him and his two best friends.

Dan John Miller does a fine narration, although the voice he uses for Radar struck me as not quite right. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 21, 2015 |
Seventeen year old Quentin has always carried a torch for his next-door neighbor, Margo, a spontaneous and energetic girl who has been outside his social circle since childhood. When Margo suddenly appears at his bedroom window insisting that Quentin drive her around pulling pranks on his senior classmates, Quentin is unable to say no. After a very full night traveling around the greater Orlando area and engaging in both breaking and entering (although Margo convinces him it is not a crime if they don't occur at the same time), Quentin is convinced he now has a chance to have a relationship with Margo. When Margo fails to come to school the next morning or any day the next week, however, Quentin becomes concerned that Margo may be suicidal and has left clues for him to find her before it is too late.

As such, Quentin struggles to complete the last weeks of high school while also searching for the clues Margo has left behind for him to find. As the final date approaches, Quentin thinks he has finally figured it out and is joined by his friends on a race to the end to find Margo. Although this story is farfetched and at times, silly, I enjoyed the adventure of it and how it was generally unpredictable. And for a YA novel, I didn't see the ending coming. In all, an enjoyable and fast paced read. Probably my second favorite John Green book so far after "The Fault in Our Stars." ( )
  voracious | Jul 19, 2015 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,400,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible