Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green

English (275)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (279)
This book leads you on from one adventure to another and it makes you wonder what is going to happen next. It also just makes you wonder if you are really just a paper person in a paper town. 4Q3P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to high school students and adults. I chose to read this book because I liked other books by John Green so I figured I'd give this one a try. KalseeD
  edspicer | Jul 23, 2014 |
How I rolled my eyes at the beginning of this book. We have Q, the good guy, who is in love with Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar and it only she would leave her asshole boyfriend their love could be true. You see, he really knows her. The start of the book features them going on an adventure together and he really does know her now, you see. They share a special connection.

You see where this is going. I thought I did too. Then the book surprised me.

Like most John Green books, the joy in this is that is zigs when you think it's going to zag. The idea behind paper towns is that we can never truly know another person. Spoilers in the rest of this.

Q spends most of the novel following a trail of clues that he thinks Margo Roth Spiegelman has left specifically to bring him to her. In the beginning the quest is very much about himself. He fantasies about her coming back and them going to prom together. He thinks it's a quest she's loft him to prove his worth.

As the plot progresses Q slowly realises that, in fact, he never knew Margo at all. All the things he thought he knew about her weren't true and there were hidden sides to her that he never saw. As he goes through his quest he begins to form a new picture of Margo in his mind. He explores the edges that she's left and, finally, he goes to find her.

And then, in a wonderful twist, when he finds her he finds that this new image he's made is not closer to the real Margo than the image he started with. That you can never really be another person. You can form these connections, these minutes, but you can never truly know them. Never truly be them. He spends the entire novel chasing Margo and in the end they make their connection by realizing they never knew each other and probably never will.

THAT is what I liked to much about this novel. That is what makes it worth reading. ( )
  TPauSilver | Jul 13, 2014 |
Quentin has spent his life admiring/yearning for his neighbor and schoolmate Margo. When she appears at his bedroom window ready for a midnight escapade, he joins in without a second thought. Their revenge-fueled night is interspersed with quiet moments of reflection and a hint of sexual tension/intimacy. Q begins to think he understands the 'real' M. The next day -- and the weeks after -- M goes missing. The search takes an ominous turn (and to this reader, this would have been the more satisfying conclusion -- albeit macabre. Q realizes he doesn't really know M at all. Indeed, Green shows that we probably don't know each other.

As always, Green is spot-on with adolescent dialogue, chemistry, and characters. This reader appreciates that Q's parents aren't monsters or comic foils... just hard-working folks who trust their son... a bit too much. The mystery (which feels like a murder mystery) peters out a bit but in the middle is page-turning. ( )
  mjspear | Jul 12, 2014 |
I would definitely recommend this book to my friends, and to convince them to read it I would talk about the independence and what the female character had cleverly done. I'd talk about the mystery that haunts the whole story: Is she dead or alive? I'd also mention all the suspense throughout the book that really kept me reading! The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this book to middle school and high school students. I chose to read this book because I've read other books by John Green and found them all wonderful to read. BrittneyH
  edspicer | Jul 5, 2014 |
This book because very exciting almost immediately. It was impossibly to not root for the underdog to get the girl. This story makes you want to be a part of it and join in on the adventure. 4Q4P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this book for middle school and high school students. I chose to read this book because I was SERIOUSLY still on my John Green streak. SarahP
  edspicer | Jul 5, 2014 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
pg. 57 Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
"Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible