Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (chwiggy)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Punk and the Professor by Billy Lawrence (Anonymous user)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)

English (427)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All (439)
"Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew."
  HoughHouse | Jul 20, 2017 |
Summary: “Paper Towns” is a coming of age mystery that centers around the sudden disappearance of Margo Roth Spiegelman. The story follows the protagonist Quentin, and his two best friends Ben and Radar, as they uncover clues about Margo’s disappearance. Along the way, the three friends experience all the growing pains associated with their senior year of high school, and the fear associated with graduation.

Personal Reflection: “Paper Towns” is not my favorite John Green book, but it is in my top three. The story has the universal qualities required of such coming of age tales. It’s also set around Orlando, one of my favorite cities.
Extension 1: Music plays a big role in this book. Students could create fictional playlists that they think Margo would listen to on her “great flight”.

Extension 2: One of the themes of the book is the fear of the future. Students could discuss what their plans post-graduation are, and talk through any fears they might have.
  GaryReddin | Jul 17, 2017 |
When I read a John Green book, I want the story to go on forever! I feel his characters' joys and pains and their lives linger in my mind for days. Each Green book I read is my favorite until I read another one. Please John Green, write more stories! ( )
  mjolorenz | Jun 30, 2017 |
After a night of mayhem with his longtime neighbour and friend, Margo Roth Spiegelman, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen discovers that she has gone missing with just weeks to go to graduation. Determined to find her, he enlists the help of friends Ben, Radar, and Lacey. Her parents file a missing person's report as Q tries to unravel the clues that Margo has left behind. But is Q's idealisation of Margo truly who she really is or is she just trying to escape and find her true self? Interesting read, but dragged a little. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jun 24, 2017 |
Another road trip adventure story! I love these.

I also love the mystery that seems to surrond Margo. But then, there is no mystery. It is all in what we perceive. It's all in our heads. We can believe whatever we want to believe, but were probably not right.

I'm glad that this story wasn't overly complicated in the teen love department. Not that I'm saying Green's books are. I'm just glad there are good stories out there that don't revolve around one character finally falling in love with another. It's a breath of fresh air.

Because of this book, I am also now the proud owner of my very own black Santa.
He makes me happy. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible