Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (chwiggy)
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    The Punk and the Professor by Billy Lawrence (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)

English (465)  Spanish (9)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (479)
There were some interesting moments and ideas in this book, but overall it was a bit meh. It was a little crude for my taste, lots of dirty teenage-boy jokes. And it kind of followed a hyper-intense nerd stereotype which was almost painful to read. And it had all the immature high school cliches & drama that I loathe. Not to mention it had way too any metaphors and monologues and really bad literature references.

I did get into the mystery of what happened to Margo, and what kind of person she really was, which is why I gave this book three stars. And there were some good lines in the mess.

I LOVED The Fault in Our Stars, so to not love this book was really disappointing. TFIOS just seemed more mature, polished & sincere to me. Every line in TFIOS was special, whereas in Paper Towns many of the lines were kind of trashy. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |
This was mostly an enjoyable read. Green's writing style is engaging, and the story is fun, but with just the right amount of seriousness to make it feel important. It was so easy to cheer for Q and hope he finds the next clue on his path to Margo. At times, it dragged, getting bogged down on one detail or another, and I found myself skipping through paragraphs and pages quickly to move the story along. Occasionally, it felt like the book took itself a little too seriously, like Green was trying to inject deep meaning into it rather than telling a good story and letting his reader find the meaning on their own. But, I liked it, and I'll definitely seek out more books by the oh-so-YouTube-famous vlogbrother. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Gasp if you must, but this is only my second John Green book. I read TFIOS a long time ago, back before it became this huge movie-type thing, just because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. People love John Green. They spout his quotes all the time, and I was wondering what I was missing. I was one of those people who loved TFIOS, so I decided that more exploration was in order. I purchased an audio copy of Paper Towns and settled in with no expectations.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised with this book! Paper Towns manages to mix some very heavy thoughts on life, with the awkward, hilariousness of being a teenage boy. Quentin, or Q as his friends adoringly call him, is your typical teenager. He hangs with his friends, crushes on girls, plus adores and gets annoyed with his parents in equal turns. To Q, there are two things that are constant in life. Number one, his friends Ben and Marcus (Radar) will always be there to play video games and goof off. Number two, Margo Roth Speigelman is someone to be placed on a pedestal. A whirlwind of a girl who has wild adventures, speaks her mind, and is perfection embodied. That is, until he discovers that nothing is really ever constant.

Following Q and his friends was honestly a ton of fun. I was transported back to my days wandering the high school campus. When life was full of homework, funny conversations, and that blessed normalcy that comes with school life. John Green captures the essence of the teenage boy perfectly in this story. I loved that these guys sat around and had serious conversations, peppered with silly jokes. I watched as they navigated friendship potholes, debated life lessons, and planned for their futures. It was just so familiar and comfortable.

When Margo went missing, that's when things really picked up. Suddenly I was holding on tight as clues were found, possibilities explored, and all manner of deep thoughts pondered. Let me tell you, I want a physical copy of this book just for some of the quotes in Paper Towns. They are things that, while they fit perfectly in the story itself, apply to everyone. Thoughts on the way we see ourselves and the way others see us. Thoughts on pretending to be something you're not. If there's one thing that I've noticed John Green excels at, it's slipping messages into his writing. You see them, you know they're there, but they blend in seamlessly.

So why the four star rating? To be honest, it was all about the ending. It just didn't satisfy me at all, especially after the epic build up that led to it. Still, I'm impressed with this book as a whole. I think I'll continue my John Green exploration. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
The book, Paper Towns, is about an 18 year old Quentin Jacobsen who has been quite in love with his neighbor Margo Roth Spiegelman ever since a young age. So when she opens his window one night and asks him to join her for a clever revenge plot, he simply follows. All night they spent driving from house to house pranking people( her friends that no longer are)and ruining a few things in the process. After the night ends and they go home, Q is eager to talk to her the next day about it. Come the next day, he finds her non existent. He soon figures out that she left clues. He begins a journey to find her, but to only learn that the closer he gets, the more he realizes that Margo isn't the Margo he knew. After figuring out the clues, he eventually knows where she is. He drives 24 hours in a car along with Ben, Radar, And Lacey. He arrives in Algoe, New York where he finds her in a barn. To his surprise, she seems quite shocked that they were there. She ends up yelling at him and eventually ends up being told she is leaving to go to New York City that day. She ends up leaving and the story ends with them in a parking lot staring at each other. And that's how it ends.

I gotta say, for reading a John Green book for the second time, I liked this story. Again, it's another mystery book, but it's a good one. There are a lot of clues that leave you wondering " Why is that there?" or " What is that supposed to mean?". But near the end it all starts coming together. I think that the clues Margo left behind were pretty clever and honestly had me wondering a lot of questions. And at the end, when the clues are resolved, it leaves you with this satisfaction that you finally know what it means. And the story leaves you wondering what Margo will do in New York. Or if Q drives back those 24 hours that day, or if he stays in a hotel. It's kinda like a cliffhanger. ( )
  AleynaG.G1 | Jan 16, 2019 |
Update: After months of thought and discussion with the Bestie, I'm dropping this to 3 stars. Ultimately this book is evidence that great writers can use wonderful prose but still have their plot fall flat- which is exactly what happened here in my opinion. John is a fabulous writer but I just can't get behind the ending of this one.

8/10/15: I have a lot of thoughts and feels. I am still gathering them. This story was addicting and dark but enlightening. And laugh-out-loud funny. I mean, really funny. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
—"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
—"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss-Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,065,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible