Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

Recently added bystrongasanoak, StephanyCj, stephaniehong, margojacobs, private library, HVSSLibrary

English (285)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (291)
Margo Roth Spiegelman. That's the name on everyone's lips. And when she appears at his window and drags him along on a midnight escapade, she irreversibly turns Quentin's life upside down as graduation nears. Especially when she disappears the next day.

This is my first foray into John Green's books. After seeing so many people reading all of his works, I had to pick one up just to see what all the fuss was all about.

And... I couldn't like this book. It was all teen-angst and teen emotions and teen notions. The book was all about teens trying to figure out whether the "paper town" world is worth it or not, to walk inside the drawn lines, to be spontaneous and wild and crazy or a good kid. If I were perhaps a high school senior all over again reading this book, maybe it would have resonated with me and I would have given it 5 stars for writing down the emotions in my heart onto paper.
But. I'm not. And I'm not nostalgic about those emotions this book tries to evoke.

I didn't care for any of the characters, sorry. They just felt like random people. Margo was obviously a fantasy girl - the one that all teenagers imagine they would like to be deep down inside. And Quentin was the boy who was supposed to appeal to everybody who imagines that they are a little too normal and boring.
Yawn.

As for pacing, I wanted to just flip to the last chapter to see the inevitable meeting and see how it ended. Most of the middle of the book could have been cut out and I would have lost nothing. It's too much of a "slice of life" book for me. And those types of books need either humor or love for the character. And this book is certainly not comedic, and I didn't love the characters enough.

John Green does have a penchant for quotable sentences though. Which actually makes it more teen-angsty in a way. All teens (most teens?) go through that angsty phase where they question the meaning of life, where deep universal truths should be said aloud until it pierces someone's heart, where they want to make an impact on the world without appearing to try too hard, to read and maybe write poetry like a misunderstood artist, to be effortless, to be a rebel. This book appeals to that sort of teen.

It was just too young for me.
And I'm just not nostalgic enough to care to remember those times that fondly.

Two stars. It was okay. The writing and the plot was solid. The slice-of-life feel of the book and searching-for-meaning-despite-the-transition-of-life will appeal to many people. But I'm probably not going to pick up another John Green book though because it seems that he writes for a certain age group.
Recommended for teenagers and people who want to remember that period of their life. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Yawn.

It was just too young for me.
And I'm just not nostalgic enough to care to remember those times that fondly.

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
It all started in a subdivision in Orlando Florida. Jefferson park. About nine year old Margo Roth Spiegalman and Quentin Jacobsen, the main narrator of the story, find them self in the neighborhood park with a dead man sat up against a tree. Blood oozing out from his mouth. Quentin who would rather be home just stared in disbelief while Margo was determined to figure out who had Killed the divorced man Robert Joyner. Years later in High school, Quentin finds out he likes Margo. One random night Margo decided to show up dressed as a ninja and crawl through Quentins window. That night they accomplished 7 tasks that would brake some people. In including taking hair removal cream and placing it on the bully of the school, Chuck Parson eyebrow while he is sleeping. The night was full of excitement and suspense. Would they get caught or not? But something strange happens the next day off school. Margo is missing. Quentin looks for clues that could possibly lead him to wear Margo is hiding. After days of clues and research Quentin finally tracks her down to a town that really is the true definition of Paper Town, Agloe. An abandoned paper town in New York. Quentin and some of his friends including Marcos best friend Lacy drive over 24 hours to new York to find Margo before she kills herself just like the man her ans Quentin found in the neighborhood park. Will they make it on time or will they have to deal with the sorrow of Margo Roth Spiegalman.
John Greens young adult mystery, Paper Towns, is a repetitive twist of his other young adult novels. Novels such as; Looking For Alaska and Fault In Our Stars. All of these books are about some kind of love that can't come together and/or death. The Boy falls in love with girl, or vice versa, girl has a issue with her life or is on the verge of death. Because I have read multiple John Green books, the ending of Paper Towns was quite predictable. I knew that there'd would be some sort of lovely thing. The girl would be keeping something from the boy and somwhow something happens so they can't fall in love. In Paper Towns, Margo Roth Spiegalman is keeping a secret to pretty much everybody her definition of Paper Town. When high up in the SunTrust building she explains to Quentin why Orlando is a Paper Town. She tends him that from up high you can't see the cracked paint and rust. How the whole town is just fake. All the buildings look like there going to fall on top of each other.
The main lesson that I think Margo is trying to tell Quentin is to not become a Paper person in one of those Paper Town's. What the Author, John Green, did a good job in his book was to really spark something different no body really heard about. I have never heard of a Paper Town before. I thought paper town be a town that is close to falling apart. I really didn't get the whole concept of the Paper Town intill Margo described how Orlando Florida, In her point of view is a Paper Town. This book is a good read for kids in grades 9-10. Some of the vocabulary is little advanced and also the content is for some older level students. ( )
  MaWeBr14 | Sep 12, 2014 |
Not my favorite John Green. Took me a while to get into this one. It has a journey and some good connections to Walt Whitman's _Leaves of Grass_. ( )
  turbobks | Sep 1, 2014 |
Although technically a YA book from a YA author, [Paper Towns] covers complex themes. Leaving a place, leaving a time in your life, leaving people behind all come into the plot, which is driven by the search for Margo Roth Speigelman, who apparently has run away again. But the book also contemplates the knowability of any one individual. Who is the person we see? How much of the real person can we see? And who is that person when no one is watching?

John Green is doing the world a favor by writing intelligent, thoughtful, and thought-provoking fiction for teenagers and adults. If you haven't read anything other than [The Fault in Our Stars], I urge you to check out this book or [An Abundance of Katherines]. ( )
  barlow304 | Sep 1, 2014 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
pg. 57 Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
"Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible