Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

6,021305692 ()223
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)

English (300)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (305)
This book made the second place of my John Green favorite books. I totally loved the road trip part. This book is funny, adventurous, and you will love the characters. This reminds me so much when i was younger and how teenagers feel infinite and powerful. This book is simply perfect. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
Paper Towns by John Green is a fascinating tale which explains just how paper-thin and fake we imagine our characters and objects. The story is about two main figures, Margo Roth Spiegelman and Quentin Jacobsen, who have maintained secret crushes on each other since they were younger. However, throughout the book, they realize that they thought of each other as ideal, perfect characters, or paper people. Paper people are people, otherwise known as objects, thought to be ideally fascinating in a fake way. The term was founded from paper towns, which are fake towns placed on maps to prevent copyright infringement. Margo saw Quentin in the same way he saw her, a person so interesting and fascinating which he thought he knew. Margo was not as ideal as he thought she was. The entire character he imagined her as was fake and too good to be true. The two characters were so interested in each other that they believed certain things about each other that weren’t true, and saw each other as fake objects to be imagined about without knowing so. The pair almost liked the simple ideas of each other more than they liked who they really were. Paper Towns revolves around a fragile subject of how great we think certain people, such as celebrities, are. We think of everyone in different, ideal ways that trick us into thinking that what we imagine about them are true and that those people are perfect. Paper Towns is a great story because it gives readers the truth about how we imagine and see people around us. John Green interprets Margo Roth Spiegelman and Quentin in such ways that they see them as paper people, becase in a way, they are. The characters are constructed in realistic and imaginative ways, and give readers a wild experience about how their own lives are led. I would recommend this book to others, because it has an interesting plot, fascinating characters, great buildup of suspense and words overall, and teaches readers a lesson about how people are not always what we think they are. ( )
  MAMA14 | Feb 12, 2015 |
Paper Towns is in my top favourite John Green books, because he builds up and then completely destroys the manic pixie girl fantasy. The book centers on Quentin, aka Q, who is a good main character, but his two best friends make the book for me (wait until Ben gets drunk; it's my favourite part). In the book, Q's crush and slight obsession, Margo, disappears and he makes it his mission to find her, thinking that in doing so, she will fall madly in love with him and he'll make her whole, blah blah blah. But as the book moves on, you see John's wit and love of pretentious teens turn the story on its head and make the characters and the audience rethink this quirky girl idea that is so common in EVERYTHING ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
When Margo goes on a quest rebelling against her parents she leaves a puzzle behind for Quentin. Quentin looks for clues of how to solve her puzzle in the book Paper Towns by John Green.
The book is narrated by Quentin Jacobsen who has an undeniable crush on his old best friend and next door neighbor Margo Roth Spiegelman and follows the rules just being another person occupying space on the earth. On the other hand Margo is the opposite by not following the social normality and searching for ways to leave the boring town she lives in. Helping Quentin solve the puzzle of Margo is Margo’s best friend Lacey Pemberton who had a fish thrown into her car by both Margo and Quentin the night before she left. Along with them were his own best friends Ben Starling who got a reputation where he is known throughout the school as “Bloody Ben” and his other best friend Jason “Radar” Worthington whose parents have a strange and unhealthy obsession with black santas.
The beginning of the book was about Margo bringing Quetin with her on an adventure in the middle of the night to get back at her friends and ex boyfriend when she found out her ex boyfriend had cheated on her. The two drove all over the town playing pranks on their new found enemies and ended with them sneaking into Sea World when it was closed. The book continues with Margo running away and Quentin trying to find where she went using the clues she left behind while his parents and best friend try to make him go to his senior prom and other things that his school wants him to do while being a senior. They narrow down the places she could be and leave right before graduation to go on a nineteen hour road trip hoping to find her in time.
Paper Towns was an amazing book filled with a mixture of classic high school drama, mystery and humor. The story kept my interest and was entertaining because of both the action and the humor. This book is targeted for teenagers who enjoy action as well as humor. ( )
  LaWi19 | Jan 28, 2015 |
The book Paper Towns was a fantastic book. I loved all the drama and detail that was in the story. My favorite part of the story was when they were on the road trip. I thought that all the chapters about the road trip were some of the best chapters that John Green wrote. I disliked the end of the story because they took that huge road trip to get to Margo who had ran away only to find out that she didn't want to be found. I wish there was a little more drama at the end of the book. I loved this book and I plan on reading it again.
  Abch14 | Jan 24, 2015 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
pg. 57 Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
"Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,687,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible