Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    The Lost Estate (Le Grand Meaulnes) by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)

English (338)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (344)
This turned out to be kind of a fun and quick read. It seemed a bit unbelievable and some what too "young adult" for my reading taste, but the story was interesting enough to make me want to read it through to the end which I did find satisfying. I also felt that the ending was the most believable part of this story. Some of the lines in this story were laugh out loud funny. I can see why John Green is such a popular YA author. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Aug 27, 2015 |
Paper Towns is a coming of age story told through the eyes of high school senior Quentin, known by his friends as Q. The monotony of high school is broken by the appearance of his next door neighbor at his window one night. Margo, whose very life seems like a series of adventures of mysteries, begins to draw Quentin out of his shell before vanishing with the dawn. Quentin's beliefs about himself, people, and the world begin to shift as he adapts to a changing high school landscape as he searches for a girl who he had always seen as an idea, and who he is afraid may be gone in a permanent sense. His horizons expand as the mysteries surrounding Margo deepen and one chapter in his life draws to an end.

John Green is, as always, a deft hand at writing young adult fiction. He tells a story with memorable, well-developed, and witty characters, ample use of quotes and references, and genuine character growth for not only one, but many, of the figures his tale centers on. ( )
  Ailinel | Aug 23, 2015 |
I love John Green novels, they are always diverting and easy to read but ha still manages to sneak a message into them. Paper Towns was my second John Green book and to this point is it my favourite.
The story about a boy who grows up living next to his childhood best friend who is an exceptional girl. As they grow up their ways separate but he still loves her. One night she climbs in through his window and persuades him to help her with her revenge... In one night his whole life is turned around and he learns that it is good to be unconventional and extraordinary. ( )
  Jeb2323 | Aug 2, 2015 |
I do like John Green, although he basically uses the same protagonist in each of his works. It's always a witty, wordy guy with a witty, wordy friend or friends, they're smart and good at school, not the popular kids but not the ones who get beat up either. There's always a girl whose somehow difficult but smart and enchanting. So, the stories repeat themselves but since they're still good stories, who cares. Writing to young adults without undermining them is rather rare, and I praise the author who will do that. ( )
  Iira | Jul 30, 2015 |
I don't know that I'd call this book "profoundly moving" --- as the blurb on the front cover boasts --- but it definitely left me with a thing or three to think about when it was all said and done. ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,025,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible