Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (chwiggy)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)

English (389)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (399)
Quentin "Q" Jacobsen has grown up next to Margo Roth Spiegleman, and he admires her from a distance. Margo takes Q on a midnight adventure that changes his life. The next day Margo disappears leaving clues for Q to find. He and his friends go to great lengths to find the mysterious girl. Do her clues help her to be found? Does she want to be found? Will Q find the answers he is looking for? ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
Teenage boy is obsessed with his neighbor, who leads him on a night full of risk and pranks before disappearing. He and his friends try to figure out clues she left behind in order to locate her. Good for high school. Recommend to students who enjoy John Green, light mystery, and/or realistic contemporary fiction. ( )
  KristineCA | Apr 26, 2016 |
Paper Towns is a story that'll keep you hooked until the very end. Q goes on a journey to find the love of his life who has recently gone missing. Throughout the story you see his transformation and you see him grow from shy and reserved to someone who is passionate and confident. Great coming of age story. ( )
  HBalicki | Apr 21, 2016 |
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificent Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. When their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Margo has disappeared. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Embarking on an exhilarating adventure to find her, the closer Q gets, the less he sees the girl he thought he knew. ( )
  bpascoe | Apr 16, 2016 |

*Posted in 2014, Edited in 2016*

I read a book from the one and only the astounding John Green.

Alas, my high expectations were not met this time.

Before I get the storm of hatred electrifying me with the 1000 volts of fury echoing in the stars (See what I did there). Allow me a chance to explain myself.

The plot:

The story begins and zooms in on a typical unimpressive group of individuals. Gaining my approval for immensely interesting, non-interesting characters. These rather unremarkable teenagers dream to be approved by the popular.

Our main character Quentin starts off with talking about the miracles we all get in live. How his miracle was, in fact, his neighbor, Margot.
One night they go on an adventure that changes his life forever and the next day changes it even more.

I know that might not be the most thorough plot description but for those who have not read the book yet, and who still intends on reading it after this review. That should be enough to give you an idea of what happens. Also, somewhere you will find black Santas. This is an important part of the story. It is also not a spoiler so do not fret.

My experience

The story started off with a great tempo and with even greater humour.
Then all of a sudden it started to drag. Slowly but surely metaphors became the bread of the story. It began swimming in all forms strangling me and dragging me along forcefully. Only to then suddenly throwing me down a slide of action and adventure just to be halted again by the metaphors and inner monologues.

It took me more than a month to finish it.

I was truly overwhelmed by this book and at the same time underwhelmed by Margo's paper town analogies.

There were some great quotes as to be expected from the esteemed John Green.

"You keep expecting people not to be themselves."

There were some very long paragraphs...
Sometimes I thought it would never end.

Sometimes I did not want it to end.

The verdict:

It's good but you get better.

If you could identify with the metaphors then your experience would have been vastly different then mine.

My rating for this book is a 3 out of 5.

1 = I thought it would never end. I felt like I was being punished.
2 = It was okay... It only felt like torture reading it every now and then.
3 = I'm a bit unsure where I stand with this book. It possibly underwhelmed me or I possibly
enjoyed it slightly. We might never know.
4 = I applaud the author. It was phenomenal. It gripped me. It taught me something I can carry
with me.
5 = I will re-read this book again. I want to meet the author. I want a signed copy. I will be talking
about this experience for weeks and will always speak fondly of this book.

Snow

SnowBookHollow | Apr 13, 2016 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,918,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible