Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns

by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)

English (311)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (316)
Papertowns by John Green is the story of Quentin Jacobsen. He has spent a lifetime loving Margo Spiegelman. When they were little they saw a dead man leaned up against a tree. Years later after the incident, Margo climbed through Q's bedroom window and asks for a car. Then Q and Margo do an all night mission. Q found out that Margo went missing the next day. But Q soon learns that there are clues and they're for him. The closer he gets to solving the mystery the less he sees the girl he thought he knew.
Papertowns by John Green is so far the best book I have read. It's action packed, mysterious, and full of drama. I recommend this book to teens who love all of that. This book got five stars because it is amazing. When you get to the end of the book it's kind of confusing but when you answer the Discussion Questions you get the story. This book also needs a second book because it kind of leaves you hanging. John Green makes the best books for teens to read.
  AlishaM.B3 | Mar 24, 2015 |
What I can say? I loved everything about this book: the characters, constantly changing and reinventing themselves, the setting with fictional cities appearing and disappearing, the epic road trip, the looming nostalgia of high school and hopeful beginnings of adulthood, a dash of mystery and finally a pair of star-crossed lovers. Green created a masterpiece of emotion, imagination, suspense and fun. My only regret is that it had to end.
This is not teen fiction. This is everybody fiction. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Mar 21, 2015 |
I had previously read "The Fault in Our Stars" and loved it so I was expecting more out of this book. I thought the road trip was wonderful, especially the parts when they were stopping at the BP stations. I fell in love with Ben, Radar and Q and their quick witted humor. I even came to care about Lacey.

However, the more I learned about Margo, the more I came to the realization that I didn't really want Q to ever find her. If he did ever find her I wanted someone, anyone, to smack her in the face for putting everyone through the anguish of her disappearance. By all accounts Margo was appropriately dissatisfied with her life but she wasn't in an abusive situation and just had to wait until the end of her senior year. Then she could take off without scaring everyone, including her younger sister.

Another note: I think this will make a fabulous movie. ( )
  literaryperuser | Mar 21, 2015 |
When I first started reading this book, I was not sure what to expect. I had read The Fault in Our Stars and was so not ready for another tear jerker like that. Paper Towns I have to stay has turned out to my high on the list of my favorite books. Margo and Q were friends growing up but as time passed they drifted away, I can relate to that and I am sure most people can. The book takes place mostly in Florida, my home state, so I was able to actually visualize the cities and areas that mentioned since I have been to most of them.

When Margo disappears after a dangerous all-night adventure with Q, no one really looks for her. Yes she had gone missing before, but still I find that a little sad that everyone was ready to just giver up on her. But Q is not ready, and he starts his quest to find Margo.

Overall the book was a great read, and I would recommend it for anyone because it is so relate-able. ( )
  Hpfan28 | Mar 20, 2015 |
The book Paper Towns is an elegantly told story that takes place in Orlando, Florida. It is told by a quirky, nerdy, high schooler named Quentin Jacobsen. Quentin has two best friends, Radar and Ben, alongside a slight friendship with the most popular girl in school, Margo Roth Spiegelman, who happens to be his neighbor. Quentin is sitting down in his room one night, and suddenly Margo shows up at his window, and tells him to come with her. The two go through the town raining havoc on all those that have ever done something bad to them. Quentin walks out as amazed and excited as could be from the past night, but his happiness is ended when Margo runs away afterwards and can't be found. Quentin and his friends search through the puzzles she left behind to try to find her, and end up making new relationships, and finding out about who Margo was as a person along the way. The book ends with them finding Margo, alone in an abandoned area, known as a paper town. Although Quentin and Margo realize their feelings for each other, they accept that they have different paths of life, and part ways.

This story is written by one of my favorite authors, which I suppose is one of the main reasons I enjoy it so much. John Green writes stories with meaning and his books truly make you think. This book keeps you guessing and wondering what's next on every page. It's practically impossible to stop reading. Paper towns is a truly wonderful book due to it's honesty, and realness. I fully believe it's worthy of five stars. ( )
  Sydneyp.b1 | Mar 15, 2015 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,233,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible