Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:hobbitsies
Title:Paper Towns
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2008), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 305 pages

Paper Towns by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green

English (280)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (285)
When Quentin and Margo were nine years old, they find a dead man lying against the trunk of a tree in a park. He’d killed himself and it was a horrific discovery for two young kids. The novel fast-forwards to their senior year of high school and most of the teens are focusing on the upcoming prom. On the surface, Margo Roth Spiegelman is a very outgoing, popular girl. Quentin considers her an enigma. One very late evening, she comes to his bedroom window. She has plans and needs his car – well, actually she needs him to take his parents car. He is easily convinced to go along with her plan. Her plan involves getting back at a few of the seniors. Two of those were her boyfriend who dumped her and the girl he dumped her for. It’s during their adventures of this evening that he gets to know Margo as well as anyone can get to know her. Shortly after, she disappears by her own choosing, but before she does, she leaves clues for Quentin. With the help of his friends, he sets out on a quest to find her.

I liked the premise of this book and enjoyed the mysterious feel to the story. However, there were several, perhaps a few too many, clues that got the readers hopes up only to have those hopes dashed again. It was sad that Quentin was so focused on Margo when she was so focused on herself. The road trip was comical and I liked the comradery between friends. As with most John Green novels, they’re appealing to a younger crowd. For that reason, the language always bothers me. God’s name is used in vain and there are a few sexual references. I would place the suggested reading level at 16 and up. I rated the novel at 4 out of 5.

http://www.fictionzeal.com/paper-towns-john-green/ ( )
  FictionZeal | Aug 31, 2014 |
Thankfully people did such a good job of lowering my expectations on this novel that I actually really enjoyed it! People have told me over and over that it's not NEARLY as good as Looking for Alaska or The Fault in Our Stars, so I didn't set the bar as high. I needn't have been worried because wherever the bar had been set I still quite enjoyed it!

It may not have been the most realistic teen novel ever but I really enjoyed it! Basically the premise of the story is that Quentin thinks that his neighbor (and supreme hottie), Margo, has gone missing and left a slew of clues for him to follow. At first his friends think it's weird, why would she run away and want Q to find her?!? He's not exactly at the top of the high school totem pole and neither are his friends. Once they start picking up on her trail of breadcrumbs though, they become transfixed on the hunt for Margo. This is a story of discovering yourself and your friends. A must for fans of teen lit and John Green.

Side note, I can't wait to see the movie adaptation!! ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 26, 2014 |
I love the book. The clues that are really not clues. The CDs. The Adventure!!! Margo Roth and Quentin's night out. Life-changing. ♥

Margo Roth doesn't want to be found but yeah, Q's in love, why not?

Mr. John Green is the best. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Margo Roth doesn't want to be found but yeah, Q's in love, why not?

Mr. John Green is the best. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
I tried another John Green book. I wasn't a fan of Fault but I wanted to give him another chance. I unfortunately regret it. I kept waiting for something epic to happen and when I come to find out that Margo was just selfish, I was sorely disappointed. ( )
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
pg. 57 Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
"Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible