Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:hobbitsies
Title:Paper Towns
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2008), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 305 pages

Paper Towns by John Green

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)

English (365)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (375)
With the insane popularity of The Fault in Our Stars, angsty tweens and teens are clamoring to devour other works by John Green. I fear they will likely be disappointed with Paper Towns (but I'm sure they will still read it).

The story focuses on quiet Quentin, Q for short, who has grown up next door to...well, the girl next door: Margo Roth Spiegelman. He has spent his life loving her from afar as she ascended to the position of Queen of High School and he remained a video game-loving dork. When Margo appears at Q's window one random evening and invites him on an adventure, he is catapulted into her crazy, exciting world. The next day, he is starry eyed and more in love with the thrilling, unpredictable Margo Roth Spiegelman than ever, but Margo has disappeared. Don't worry, this is normal. Margo, whose parents totally stink, has run away before. It's just a cry for attention. So Q waits. And waits. And then he realizes that Margo may be in danger, and she usually leaves clues for people to find her. This time, the clues she has left are undoubtedly for Q. But is he too late to save her? Q and his band of misfit friends race to unravel the mystery of ultra-dramatic Margo's clues to rescue her. But are they too late?

I recommend this to grades 8-12. Readers who enjoy Green's dialogue, witty banter and flowery language will be pleased. -EC ( )
  WhitneyYPL | Feb 9, 2016 |
John Green's novel Paper Towns tells the story of the teenager Quentin, who has loved his neighbor Margo Roth Spiegelman since he was nine years old. However, with Margo being a very popular girl and Quentin belonging to the nerds at school there is not much interaction between the two. Just a few days before graduating from high school Margo enters Quentin's room in the middle of the night and takes him out on an adventure trip. Right when Quentin thinks he can reconnect with Margo, she suddenly vanishes the next morning. As Margo leaves some clues as to where she might have gone for Quentin, Q sets out on a journey to find her and to find out who the real Margo is.
The title paper towns can be approached from two angles. On the one hand, they are explained as towns that exist only on maps but not in reality. This seems to have been a common practice with map makers who included non-exisiting towns in their maps as copyright traps in order to prevent copyright infringement. On a deeper level, Margo describes herself as being a paper girl living in a paper town, meaning that her life is quite flat and dull.

Paper Towns was a rather average read. While the beginning of the novel is quite interesting, the story is pretty boring throughout the main part and contains quite a bit of repetition. The last third of the novel, which describes Q's road trip in search of Margo, however, is actually quite interesting and fun to read. All in all, if it had not been for the rather boring section in the middle of the novel, I would have rated this book with more stars. But, as it is, just three stars for an on the whole average reading experience. As Paper Towns is YA fiction, I would recommend it to teenagers who will probably like the book better than I did. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Feb 8, 2016 |
Ben said it best: "She is a Drama Queen. Wants attention." Thank goodness this ended the way it did, otherwise I would have thrown the book across the room. Nice save John Green. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Beautiful prose. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I'm beginning to think the Fault in our Stars was a fluke. As always, the writing is elegant and in places beautiful, but the characters are flat, and, in Margo's case, downright unlikeable. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,151,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible