Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:hobbitsies
Title:Paper Towns
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2008), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 305 pages

Paper Towns by John Green

English (293)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (299)
A lot of things worked for me in this book. The plot line, as always was phenomenal, and there was the perfect mix of humor and seriousness. I found the book as a whole a perfectly blended masterpiece that brought in just the right amount of various different elements.
I loved, loved, loved the pranks and jokes, as I did with Looking for Alaska. They were fun, and they added a nice, carefree feel to an otherwise pretty heavy book that was full of meaning. John Green never fails to make me laugh, and there's absolutely nothing better than telling people John Green quotes and having them give you that what-the-heck-did-you-just-say look. I mean, it's not everyday that you hear somebody talk about the world's largest collection of black Santas.
It wasn't all laughs and giggles though. This book was surprisingly, somewhat of a mystery, which I hadn't expected. I liked that it was able to incorporate a mystery, detective-sort of feel without actually being a mystery book. I loved how the characters reacted to the things that happened to them, and found them very real and relateable.
The thing that I love the most about all John Green books is that I walk away feeling smarter/inspired, without being bored to death in the process. This book made me think, but it wasn't weighing me down with facts, or telling me a sob-story. I found that I agreed with many of the things in this book, and found the points it was trying to make subtle enough to keep from being pretentious, but obvious enough so you don't miss them.
For me, this book worked because of its perfect balance. Mr. Green was able to balance humor with serious feelings and ideas perfectly, as well as making his points just subtle enough to be effective, but clear enough to see. It encouraged me to think about the people around me and try to see them for who they really are instead of who I imagine them to be, and made me realize that however well you may know a person, you don't know everything about them.
Four Point Five Stars out of Five
See the review and other things here: http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/05/paper-towns.html ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
I took only 24 hours to actually read this book despite what Goodreads might say. I meant to start it days ago, but I was still kind of strung out on the last book I read, so I held off. Once I started reading "Paper Towns", however, I could not put it down. So thanks for the lack of sleep last night, John Green. Thanks.

The book was really good. Frankly, I found it a little too deep for my tastes, and I am not going to apologize. I am usually a genre reader, not a lit girl, and this book is definitely literature. It is very good, but I have enough reality in my reality at the moment (always have). I prefer to escape. I do not want to do a lot of soul searching about my life and the world and my place in it. I do that enough when I am cognizant of my surroundings. For me, reading is a time to get away from my own brain.

On the other hand, if my brain had to be shoved into thinking about thoughts I prefer to turn off in my "spare" time, this book was a beautiful and well-written push. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
This was enjoyable enough & I still love John Green, but this one, like An Abundance of Katherines, didn't live up to the near-perfection feeling I got after reading The Fault in our Stars or Looking for Alaska. While I felt those two novels had more widespread appeal to both teens and adults, Paper Towns seemed to be written more exclusively for teenage readers. My favorite part of this novel? -- the road trip, found in the later part of the story, which will mean nothing to those who haven't yet read this book, but which I found to be the most engaging & entertaining portion of the whole story. It made me want to be a teen/young adult again. ( )
  indygo88 | Nov 17, 2014 |
I'm beginning to think the Fault in our Stars was a fluke. As always, the writing is elegant and in places beautiful, but the characters are flat, and, in Margo's case, downright unlikeable. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
When Papertowns starts, Margo and Quentin are in elementary school where they find an unknown man’s body which “ties them together” for the rest of their life. From elementary school until senior year, Margo plans to leave and plans it in a black notebook. Because Margo is popular and Quentin isn’t, they aren’t close friends like they used to be. One night Margo goes to Quentin’s window and tells him she needs his car. After a short argument Margo promises that he won’t commit a crime during the night with her so he says he will go with her. They spend the night driving around Florida in his mom’s minivan getting revenge on their classmates because of what they did to Margo and what Chuck has done to Quentin. When Margo takes Quentin to SunTrust Building, she tells Quentin that Orland0 is a papertown which means that the town is fake, is going to fall apart, and that all the people and buildings aren’t “real”.After the night of revenge, Margo disappears like she has in the past. Quentin finds clues that link to who Margo really is and where she has gone. He and his friends leaves graduation early to find her.Once he and his friends find her she gets angry because she didn’t want to be found after she left because she wanted a clean start and to be alone. As Quentin and her talk a little bit they both realize that they are going to have to part ways and that they may never see each other again.

I thought that this book was amazing because while I was reading this book I never wanted to stop. There was always something happening in the book. John Green wrote with so much detail and description that I could picture every part of the book. I have never read a book like it, the plot and storyline is not like anything I have read before. I think that John Green has done a spectacular job writing all of his books. It taught me that not everyone is who you think they are. If you like books with a mix of adventure and romance, I highly recommend this book to you. ( )
  kateh.g1 | Oct 9, 2014 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
pg. 57 Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
"Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,050,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible