HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Paper Towns by John Green
Loading...

Paper Towns (edition 2008)

by John Green

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
7,859414425 (3.99)262
Member:hobbitsies
Title:Paper Towns
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2008), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 305 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:
Tags:None

Work details

Paper Towns by John Green

  1. 20
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
  2. 10
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
  3. 10
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
  4. 00
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
  5. 00
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (chwiggy)
  6. 00
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
  7. 00
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
  8. 00
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
  9. 00
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
  10. 00
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
  11. 00
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
  12. 00
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
  13. 00
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
  14. 12
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 262 mentions

English (405)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (415)
Showing 1-5 of 405 (next | show all)
3.5 stars ( )
  CrystalDawn1217 | Sep 19, 2016 |
The book had some humour and some moments that made you sad in it, but I found it extremely boring.I struggled to finish it because I no longer wanted to continue. I had to though as it was for school. It wasn't very interesting but i don't like this type of book usually. ( )
  lola11hall | Aug 21, 2016 |
While I enjoyed Paper Towns more than Looking for Alaska, neither book can compete with The Fault in Our Stars. Quentin and his friends are geeky and fun in a quirky but genuine way. Green's characterization of Margo is much harder to believe which creates a problem with the premise. Why does anyone care enough about Margo to go to great lengths in finding her when she goes missing? Quentin, the neighbor and classmate she has essentially ignored for years, proves his love for her but his devotion ends up feeling like a character flaw rather than an admirable trait. The humor is great. The angst and philosophizing are just annoying. ( )
  bookappeal | Aug 10, 2016 |
Naslovnica: http://i0.wp.com/bestseller.jutarnji.hr/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/gradovi-na-pa...

Gl. lik, osamnaestogodišnji Quentin, zaljubljen je u svoju cool susjedu, kolegicu iz škole Margo. Kad su bili djeca jednom su prilikom naišli na mrtvaca, koji je bio samoubojica. U tinejdžerskoj dobi zajedno se osvećuju njezinom dečku koji ju je prevario s njenom najboljom prijateljicom, i sl. No jednoga dana Margo nestane, a kako joj to nije bilo prvi put, nije bilo plakata koji bi pozivali na potragu za njom. Quentin s prijateljem Benom traži Margo na temelju kriptične poruke - pjesme Wata Whitmana. U zgradi u koju su došli nailaze na natpis "OTIĆI ĆEŠ U GRADOVE OD PAPIRA I NIKADA SE VIŠE VRATITI NEĆEŠ", ispisan Margoinim rukopisom. Jednom mu je prilikom rekla da je Orlando grad na papiru i da će ju "pronaći pod svojim potplatima" (Walt Whitman) pa se zabrinuo da se ubila, ako i čovjek na kojega su naišli u djetinjstvu u parku. Tražio je objašnjenje na webu o tome što su gradovi od papira i na jednoj je stranici pisalo da su to samo planirani gradovi/naselja, koji nikad nisu sagrađeni/zaživjeli u stvarnosti. Profesorica književnosti pomaže mu u tumačenju stihova u zbirci Vlati trave, koje je Margo podcrtala kao trag koji Quentin treba slijediti da ju pronađe. Nakon što prođe maturalna večer, na koju nije išao, s dvojicom prijatelja, Benom I radarom, i djevojkom jednoga, Lacey, kreće u potragu za Margo, vozeći 1700 km. Nađu njezin auto. Ugledaju nju kako piše u nekakvom štaglju. Kad ih ona ugleda, opstaje hladna i traži da najpriej dovrši pisanje te se onda pozdravlja s njima. Nema nimalo šminke, oči su joj "mrtve". Neljubazna je prema svima i svi odu, osim Quentina. Čudi se kako ju je uspio naći jer je zametala tragove, da ju ne nađe. Objasni mu da je uvijek mislila pobjeći, ali da su prijevara njezinog dečka i najbolje prijatelice te odnos s roditeljima to samo ubrzali. I kaže mu da ej kao djevojčica bila zaljubljena u njega. To nije znao, a on je oduvijek bio zaljubljen u nju. Kaže mu i da je tada napisala detektivski roman u kojemu su glavni likovi ona, Quentin i njena mačka, a preko tog romana kasnije je napisala plan bijega, koji je poslije ubrzala. Quentin ju nagovara da se vrati, ali kaže da ne može. Javi se majci i sestri i obeća ju zvati svaki tjedan, s majkom nije bio produktivan razgovor. Ona odluči otići svojim putem, on vratiti se kući, jer je tamo njegov život. Plaču, vole se. Završava njihovim ljubljenjem. "Nakon poljupca naslonimo čelo na čelo. Da, vidim je gotovo savršeno u ovoj tami". Budući da je bio dan kad su se rastajali, a sad se spominje tama, možda su ipak ostali zajedno. ( )
  rosenrot | Aug 10, 2016 |
Loved the book. Great story line and quick read. ( )
  Carleyxo | Jul 30, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 405 (next | show all)
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place
 

» Add other authors (3 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
Dedication
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
First words
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Quotations
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the French Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language
Information from the French Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.
 

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

(see all 2 descriptions)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 6 descriptions

LibraryThing Author

John Green is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

profile page | author page

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.99)
0.5
1 28
1.5 6
2 89
2.5 25
3 394
3.5 109
4 755
4.5 131
5 678

Audible.com

3 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,159,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible