Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:hobbitsies
Title:Paper Towns
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2008), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 305 pages

Paper Towns by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)

English (323)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (329)
Margo Roth Spiegelman. Just her name gives Quentin the shivers, in a good way. Quentin has spent his life loving Margo from afar, but has never really gotten to know the real Margo. She has become the popular girl at school, while Q hangs out with the band geeks, so he thinks he never has a chance with her. One night, Margo shows up at Q's window and takes him on a wild ride, pulling pranks to get revenge on her so-called friends for wrongs they have caused her. The next day at school, Q finds Margo has disappeared; this is not unusual for Margo. In the past, she has disappeared for a couple of days, leaving enigmatic clues, but then shows up at home. This time, weeks pass without word from Margo. Q decides it is his mission to find her, and soon discovers she has left her puzzling clues again, and they seem to be for him to follow. And follow he does: to an abandoned mall, to abandoned housing subdivisions, to a tiny "paper town" that really doesn't exist. What he finds along the way is that he never really knew Margo; no one did. She kept herself hidden from the world. In true John Green style, the mystery of Margo Roth Spiegelman unfolds. I liked this story; it got me interested right away, and I wanted to find out what happened to Margo, but the last 1/3 of the book dragged a little. I liked Q, and I didn't like Margo much, at least to start. And maybe that is what the author intended. The end was a little unsatisfying, if realistic; no happy endings in Green's books. But that makes it something all of us can relate to. ( )
  litgirl29 | Jun 25, 2015 |
Q is a great character, the reader is really drawn into this book through his emotions. ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
As an adult I had great empathy for Margo's parents. She was a fee spirit but she was so self-centered. I wonder if there were times when adults read an YA book and have too many life experiences to appreciate the depth of a book. A book from the intended audience will be q much more valuable review. That being said, as usual, John Green gives the reader a great deal to think about. ( )
  brangwinn | Jun 21, 2015 |
Just reread this title and loved it the second time around too. Probably my favorite John Green book. Quentin is very lucky to have good friends like Ben, Radar, and Lacie and through the course of the book I think he begins to appreciate this more. Quentin is a young man who loves his routine and the predictability of his life but Margo challenges him to push out of that predictability. Via the adventure Margo has laid out for him, Quentin begins to think about people and how you can look at them everyday but not really see the real person. It's only be really getting to know them and connecting with them that you learn who the person really is. ( )
  sassafras | Jun 10, 2015 |
EDIT :

No encuentran a la muchachita en la novela??

No se preocupen, acá está y si ,acá también y creo que pasó por estos pagos , y en estos se dio una vuelta ah ! aca tambien

Digo , porque estamos hablando de siempre la misma muchachita no??? Esa happy-go-lucky que es misterioooosa ¿No? Ah , me pareció entonces nomás .

ORIGINAL :

Esta es la ultima vez que trato de leer algo de Green .

Todos mis intentos anteriores tenían exactamente los mismos personajes y siempre siempre la misma manic pixie dream girl (a pesar de que el autor lo niegue , ahí esta el personaje femenino que aspira a ser la profunda Clementine de Kate Winslet pero termina siendo la vacía Polly de Jennifer Aniston .... salvando las diferencias , obvio) .

El autor mas sobrevalorado del genero .

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,871,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible