The Wolves Are Back by Jean Craighead George

The Wolves Are Back

by Jean Craighead George

Other authors: Wendell Minor (Illustrator)

The oh-so-scary wolves were killed off so people could enjoy the sweet, "nice" animals in Yellowstone Park. But the loss of the wolves made for negative ripples throughout the park ecosystem. With the reintroduction of the wolves, the ecosystem is slowly righting itself.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Jean Craighead George - author of the Newbery Medal winning Julie of the Wolves, and the Newbery Honor Book My Side of the Mountain - delivers an immensely engaging non-fiction picture-book with The Wolves Are Back, one which manages to be both educational and endearing. A celebration of the return of the wolf to Yellowstone National Park, after a long absence brought on by extermination campaigns that culminated in 1926, this book emphasizes, time and again, the environmental benefits of returning a predator species to its natural habitat. It is a question, as the narrative makes plain again and again, of balance.

As a confirmed wolf-lover, I was pretty much guaranteed to love this book, which portrays wolves in a realistic, non-romantic way, thoroughly debunking any idea that their role is a harmful, or even "evil" one. In clear, simple prose, George highlights the many species that benefit from the wolves' presence - and it's not always the ones you might think, as witnessed by the reappearance of a number of bird species long since departed from the region - while Wendell Minor brilliantly captures the beauty and power of these marvelous animals in his lovely artwork. If I have one complaint, about The Wolves Are Back, it is that there isn't any kind of afterword, with further information (something I've unconsciously started to expect, with picture-book non-fiction), but leaving that aside, this is just a superbly educational book, one I recommend to all young wolf lovers, and to any children interested in the complex interaction of various species in an ecosystem. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 22, 2013 |
Summary:
This is a story about the wolves being put back into Yellowstone National Park. It also explains how the food chain works and can be effected. It shows wolves in a positive light.

My Response:
I liked the idea of teaching children wolves are dangerous but they are not always "bad".

Classroom extensions:
1. I think this would be a great story to read after some of the fairy tale books that paint wolves in a bad picture.
2. This would be a great book to read while teaching children about food chains. ( )
  KatieCaughron | Apr 18, 2013 |
This is the most recent of Jean Craighead George's wolf books. But it's the first one I read of her collection. This picture book tells the story of wolves being reintroduced back into Yellowstone Park in Wyoming after years of being away. I learned a lot of true facts about wolves and the delicate balance of nature that needs to be maintained.

Jean Craighead George makes nature stories easy to read. I would use this book with first graders, maybe with the Pre K students, too. This would be good, live information to counter the fairy tale and folk tale wolf stories that the students have already heard. ( )
  nancyjensen | May 13, 2010 |
Grade Level: K+
Genre: Non-Fiction, Informational
Themes: The circle of life
Jean Craighead George tells what happened to the wilderness as the wolves were killed in the early 1900's. This story is written so younger students can understand it. It tells how other animals & plants were affected by the demise of the wolves. I would use this book to teach the balance of nature and the food chain. The illustrations are very good. They show how vast the wilderness is. It appears that the brush strokes are the same for the wilderness as the animals, maybe to show that they belong together. ( )
  PatsyAdams | Mar 27, 2010 |

Jean Craighead Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Two renowned children’s book creators teamed up to make this stirring picture book that tells the story of how, over a century, wolves were persecuted in the United States and nearly became extinct. Gradually reintroduced, they are thriving again in the West, much to the benefit of the ecosystem. This book will teach a new generation to appreciate the grace, dignity, and value of wolves as it promotes awareness of the environment’s delicate balance. Paired with gorgeous paintings by landscape artist Wendell Minor, Jean Craighead George’s engaging text will inspire people of all ages to care about the protection of endangered species.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

For over a century, wolves were persecuted in the United States and nearly became extinct. Gradually reintroduced, they are thriving again in the West, much to the benefit of the ecosystem.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible