Spin Control by Chris Moriarty

Spin Control

by Chris Moriarty

Other authors: Stephen Youll (Cover artist)

Series: Spin Series (2)

Spin State by Chris Moriarty (mummimamma)
    mummimamma: Loosely connected series

Started rereading this one for the 2nd time.

********

04.17.12 I initially gave this 3 stars, but upon my 2nd reading, I decided to bump it up to 4. I found that at first, I was too wrapped up in one thread of the story, but it's actually quite tertiary to the entire thing. Rereading it, I gained a special appreciation for the two main story threads. ( )
  fabooj | Feb 3, 2015 |
While there was lots of interesting ideas in the book, the execution was a bit flat. Maybe I need to reread the first in the series to appreciate it more. ( )
  gregandlarry | Dec 29, 2010 |
As in the prequel, Spin State, the plot seems unnecessarily convoluted. I found myself thinking there has to be a quicker way to resolve the problems the characters were facing, and there was... but had to wait 200 pages till it happened. The relationship between Earth and the Ring seems alittle implausible. Still, Catherine Li as well as Cohen are memorable characters... although you never really get to know Cohen as anything more than a melancholic dandy. ( )
  betula.alba | Aug 9, 2009 |
Outside the plot, this is an amazing look at what people do with the information they have, the information they think they have, and with the information they know they don't have. Also, an amazing variety of definitions can be applied to the word "people" in that sentence - which is delightful.

That we get this interaction along with dangers, and emotional entanglements, of all sorts just makes it that much more satisfying a read. ( )
  storyjunkie | Oct 23, 2007 |
A better book and more comprehensible than his previous offering "Spin State"...certainly no as much techno-speak nor as confusing. However, there are some plot holes that one can drive a shuttle thru...

*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

...like, how did Arkady and Arkasha get back from Novalis?
What did happen to the rest of the survey team, especially the pregnant Bella?
What exactly was being bid for? If the virus was the item and Arkady was the carrier, doesn't it seem a bit pointless? And if Arkady had some sort of knowledge of the virus, since all three parties were able to thoroughly interrogate him privately, again, what were they bidding for?
Cohen and Li, at the end of "Spin State", were practically one consciousness, but after just three years, they are nearly separate. What happened?

Despite these problems, I did enjoy this novel more than the first and would read Mr. Moriary's next offering, if only to find out what's next. ( )
  harroldsheep | Apr 23, 2007 |

Chris Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553586254, Mass Market Paperback)

Call Arkady a clone with a conscience. Or call him a traitor. A member of the space-faring Syndicates, Arkady has defected to Israel with a hot commodity: a genetic weapon powerful enough to wipe out humanity. But Israel’s not buying it. They’re selling it–and Arkady–to the highest bidder.

As the auction heats up, the Artificial Life Emancipation Front sends in Major Catherine Li. Drummed out of the Peacekeepers for executing Syndicate prisoners, Li has now literally hooked up with an AI who has lived many lifetimes and shunted through many bodies. But while they have their own conflicting loyalties to contend with, together they’re just one player in a mysterious high-stakes game….

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

In four hundred years, how will humans, post-humans, clones, and AIs coexist? This book explores those issues and throws in a bit of spy thriller, myrmecology, terraforming, complexity theory, Jewish culture, religious politics and much, much more.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,933,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible