The Cat Ate My Gymsuit by Paula Danziger

The Cat Ate My Gymsuit (1974)

by Paula Danziger

8521910,533 (3.58)16

Better and different from what I expected. ( )
  Brainannex | Sep 1, 2014 |
Anyone who has ever felt like an outsider, felt like the fattest person in the room, or felt shy beyond imagination can relate to this book. ( )
  aimless22 | Jul 1, 2013 |
i'm rereading this, and it's still just as good. though, i will say this. i have an old edition, and it's got this picture of a red-headed awkward looking girl on the front. she's heavyset, wearing bad glasses, and she's got kind of a sweetly ironic look on her face.

the cover above (the newer one) seems to totally ignore the fact that the main character of this book, on the first page, calls herself a blimp. that she has wire rimmed glasses, and mousy hair, and is afraid she will always be a blimp. the girl depicted above has a wonky eye, but she's skinny as hell, and is wearing pink. her hair looks kind of messy, but clean and cut. except for the eye, she looks the way all girls are depicted in the media.

blimps do not sell books, but they should.

usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |

blimps do not sell books, but they should.

usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Man oh man, this is dated. I remembered loving it as a kid, so I picked up the audio at the library. The production is excellent, but the book's become a period piece. Women's libbers, Ms. vs. Miss, kids who smoke "grass", and crying mothers everywhere. The moral is much more apparent to my jaded adult eye, and the preaching shows. Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, it was a good book. There are certainly parts which are timeless, still valid, but I recommend reading something current instead. Danziger's afterword, added for the 30th anniversary, is better than the book. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
To John Ciardi
I hate my father.
This work is "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit" only, please do not combine with any omnibuses or multi-books.

Marcy's life is a mess. Her parents don't understand her, she feelslike a fat blimp with no friends, and her favorite teacher just got fired. Ms. Finney wasn't like the other teachers, and she was helping Marcy feel good about being herself. Now that she's gone, Marcy doesn't know what to do. She's always thought things would be better if she could just lose weight, but the loss of Ms. Finney sparks something inside her. She decides to join the fight to bring back her teacher, and in doing so, she discovers that her voice might matter more than she ever realized. With issues that still resonate strongly today and a character millions of teens have connected with, we are thrilled to celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Cat Ate My Gymsuit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:51 -0400)

When the unconventional English teacher who helped her conquer many of her feelings of insecurity is fired, thirteen-year-old Marcy Lewis uses her new found courage to campaign for the teacher's reinstatement.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible