Sea Change: Poems by Jorie Graham

Sea Change: Poems (2008)

by Jorie Graham

SEA CHANGE by Jorie Graham

I found that Graham’s form is both opening up what is being said, and making it obscure, cutting me off, shutting me out. And yet I have a strong sense of discovery ahead, ahead in the more I read the pieces.

In the beginning the form she is using made me feel as if I were like a train with its breaks off going down a hill, the forward momentum made me feel as if I was only taking the small threads I could catch as I went by with me, which I think is literally true. This is not poetry to be done with in one reading, Like M Wynn Thomas (in his review in The Guardian), she put me in mind of Virginia Woolf, and therefore I am sure the extra effort will be worth it. I shall now read a poem a day until I have absorbed some of its precious sap. ( )
  Caroline_McElwee | May 6, 2008 |

The New York Times has said that "Jorie Graham's poetry is among the most sensuously embodied and imaginative writing we have," and this new collection is a reminder of how startling, original, and deeply relevant her poetry is. In Sea Change, Graham brings us to the once-unimaginable threshold at which civilization as we know it becomes unsustainable. How might the human spirit persist, caught between its abiding love of beauty, its acknowledgment of continuing injury and damage done, and the realization that the existence of a "future" itself may no longer be assured?

There is no better writer to confront such crucial matters than Jorie Graham. In addition to her recognized achievements as a poet of philosophical, aesthetic, and moral concerns, Graham has also been acknowledged as "our most formidable nature poet" (Publishers Weekly). As gorgeous and formally inventive as anything she has written, Sea Change is an essential work speaking out for our planet and the world we have known.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:03 -0400)

The Pulitzer Prize-winning author presents a new collection of poetic works that considers the point at which civilization becomes unsustainable in the face of disparities between beauty, damage, and the lack of guarantees for the future.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,985,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible