Poetry for Young People: Robert Louis…

Poetry for Young People: Robert Louis Stevenson

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Other authors: Lucy Corvino (Illustrator), Frances Schoonmaker (Editor)

Series: Poetry for Young People

Collection of poems written for children
  haldemac | Mar 12, 2012 |
Child-oriented collection of poems. The illustrations are incredibly detailed and add to the words on the page. Definitions of out-dated words are included below the poems. This would be a wonderful book to introduce poetry to young children. ( )
  Lauramel | Feb 10, 2011 |
A collection of Robert Louis Stevenson's poems especially for kids. Beautiful and short poems about dreaming and things in nature, like the stars. Has great illustrations, but not so much that they take away from the words.

I enjoyed this poetry book, it reminded me of what it was like when I was a kid. I used to always dream and imagine. My favorite poem is "Bed in Summer," because I used to always think why do I have to go to bed earlier in the summer, because the sun was still up. There are some foreign vocabulary words, but there is a key at the bottom of the page.

Many parts of this book could be used to teach about the sun, stars, and wind. I would like to discuss and practice with them writing poetry that is realative to them, kind of like nursery rhymes, in the same way Stevenson used poetry like in, "The Land of Counterpane." Also could teach some extra vocabulary without them even knowing it!
  ShaynaRivera1 | Sep 19, 2009 |
This is a collection of poetry directed for little children. The poems in this collection are about seasons such as "Summer Sun", and "Winter-Time," and what children love to do in this certain seasons such as "Rain", and "Bed in the Summer". There are also poems about bed-time such as "The Land of Nod," and "Escape at bed-time", and imagination poems such as "Pirates" and "Foreign Lands"

This was a great collection of different poems. I feel as though all children can relate to each of these poems and the illustrations are bright and colorful.

Children can begin poetry writing, they can write different poems about their favorite season or season time activity. Children can also illustrate their own poems after they are finished writing them. After they are finished, the teacher could publish them in a their own classroom book, so everyone can view each others creativity. ( )
  BBallard09 | Sep 13, 2009 |
I’m not familiar with Stevenson’s A Child’s Garden of Verses. This book says it’s been “edited” so I’m not sure how extensive the editing has been from Stevenson’s original. But I love this collection of imaginative poems, presented with gorgeous illustrations.

As I read these short poems, I find children exploring the world of their yards, children traveling in dreams, and children finding an adventure played out on their bedspread. I love the imagination involved in each child’s story. My favorite poems: The Land of Nod, The Land of Counterpane, Travel.

I think children still need such imagination. I hope to regularly revisit these poems with my son, and encourage such escapes as these. Hooray for childhood imagination!

More on my blog
  rebeccareid | Nov 3, 2008 |

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corvino, LucyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoonmaker, FrancesEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"A collection of 32 poems...A short introductory biography...gives an insightful glimpse into his life and how it influenced his poems....illustrations convey the poetic notion of a romantic childhood memory, with pink-cheeked children...Muted colors, rich with warm golden accents among the dominant green tone, are a peaceful accompaniment to the poems."--School Library Journal. "These poems...are colorfully illustrated and notable for their detailed brushstrokes of gentle colors. They interpret the verse in a style that is fanciful without looking too juvenile for a middle-grade audience. Younger children will find the poems and illustrations to their liking as well."--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:48 -0400)

An illustrated collection of thirty-two popular poems by Robert Louis Stevenson, mostly from "A Child's Garden of Verses." Includes an introduction about the poet's life and work.

Anthem Press

An edition of this book was published by Anthem Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,591,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible