The Best American Poetry 2008 by Charles…

The Best American Poetry 2008 (2008)

by Charles Wright

Other authors: John Ashbery (Contributor), Robert Bly (Contributor), Kate Daniels (Contributor), Louise Glück (Contributor), Robert Hass (Contributor)3 more, Richard Howard (Contributor), Mark Jarman (Contributor), Charles Simic (Contributor)

Series: The Best American Poetry (21)

Fairly unexciting collection. Nothing particularly objectionable, but few poems that really ride their own melting, as Frost would have them do. Which is disappointing, as I really love Charles Wright's poetry (wonderful introduction, though). Favourites: 'Threshing' (Louise Glück), 'The Rape of the Daughters of Leucippus by Castor and Pollux' (Richard Howard), 'Of Love and Other Disasters' (Philip Levine), 'Hexagon: On Truth' (Dave Snyder), 'Language exists because...' (Lynn Xu), 'Book of Hours' (Kevin Young). ( )
  Jambyfool | May 10, 2012 |
Is this my least favorite best American poetry collection? Yes, I think it is. I was pretty sure I’d not take to this collection when I saw the name of the editor; I’m not a big fan of Charles Wright. The vast majority of the poems struck a Hemingway-esque note with me, a macho man trying to make it in this kinder, gentler world. But here and there, I found a common spirit. How can I read fifty poems and not find a few that light up my heart?! Impossible. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
I like reading The Best American Poetry series as it exposes me to poetry that I probably would not encounter on my own. This year, I especially enjoyed “Wanting Sumptuous Heavens,” by Robert Bly and “The Aurora of the New Mind,” by David St. John. I felt that “Divide and Conquer” by Alan Sullivan and “The Dead from Iraq” by David Young were both particular relevant to today’s audience. ( )
  rmjp518 | Dec 2, 2008 |

Hass, RobertContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howard, RichardContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jarman, MarkContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simic, CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Best American Poetry series is a beloved mainstay of American poetry. This year's edition was edited by one of the most admired and acclaimed poets of his generation, Charles Wright. Known for his meditative and beautiful observations of landscape, change, and time,Wright brings his particular sensibility to this year's anthology, which contains an ecumenical slant that is unprecedented for the series. He has gathered an astonishing selection of work that includes new poems by Carolyn Forché, Jorie Graham, Louise Glück, Frank Bidart, Frederick Seidel, Patti Smith, and Kevin Young and showcases a dazzling array of rising stars like Joshua Beckman, Erica Dawson, and Alex Lemon.

With captivating and revelatory notes from the poets on their works and sage and erudite introductory essays by Wright and series editor David Lehman, The Best American Poetry 2008 will be read, discussed, debated, and prized for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,737,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible