Freddie & Me: A Coming-of-Age (Bohemian)…

Freddie & Me: A Coming-of-Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody

by Mike Dawson

In his autobiographical graphic novel, Mike Dawson illustrates his boyhood years and his experiences as a transplant from England to New Jersey. More importantly, and nearly as big an influence in his life, he is also a passionate fan of the band Queen. Mike's recollections of events and interactions in his young life are very often tightly entwined with Queen's own history and songs.

Freddie & Me especially resonated with me because I, too, am (or at least once was) a Queen "superfan." Mike and I appear to share a number of the same experiences (and frustrations), including being the same age and therefore both being sophomores in high school the morning when we learned of Freddie Mercury's untimely death. We both regret never having the opportunity to see Queen live, but both saw Queen + Paul Rodgers in concert in 2005 as a sort of consolation. We both appreciated "deep" tracks more than the singles that went on to be their greatest hits, and we both had mixed feelings about how the film Wayne's World brought Queen to the forefront of American teenage consciousness but regretted that no one seemed to appreciate the genius beyond that single song. Finally, on one of Mike's high school panels he's wearing a Tommy t-shirt, and I wonder whether he, like me, also went to see that musical.

Having said all that, Freddie & Me may not hold a great deal of appeal to readers who are not fans of Queen or not already followers of the author's previous work. The more everyday aspects of the story were in themselves not particularly fascinating. ( )
  ryner | Mar 21, 2014 |
If you look at the content, it is very much a Queen (band) fanboy book. It is a memoir in graphic novel format about an English boy who grew up in US loving Queen. Freddie Mercury of course is his idol. All his memories are weaved with memory of Queen. He also talks of 'ownership' of fanboyism to Queen. You get the drift - only puzzling thing to me is he never explained why he loved Queens so much. What struck me was not the content but the format of book.

The art work reminded me of Joe Sacco (I have read some pages of Footnotes in Gaza) - large people drawn. It made the not-so-exciting book going. Though book is inspired by Queens, you don't really learn much there. Memoir part is very ordinary - just a regular guy. But, the flow in content and artwork are two pluses. Did not spend too much time reading it, don't regret reading it either - to me, this book (basically its approach) can be precursor of several creative ideas. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
This was a really enjoyable, sweet book. He really captures what it is to be a young teen, obsessed with a musician. I found it utterly charming. ( )
  mazeway | Mar 7, 2013 |
Our author/illustrator writes about growing up, his fanatical love for all things Freddie Mercury and Queen, and how he can relate every major turning point in his life to a Queen song.

Dawson claims to be Queen's biggest fan and I think he may well be right but his passion for them is more of an obsession and it dominates every part of his childhood, not always rationally. I'm not really sure what this book is meant to show or why anyone needs to read it. He never explains what it is about Queen that he loves so much, he moves from Scotland to the USA as a kid but the culture shock that would've happened then is never really explored either.. there is just not a lot of point to writing a fairly one-dimensional autobiography about a cartoonist that is little known.

The best parts were his interactions with his family and the effort put into the artwork. A confused graphic novel. ( )
  KiwiNyx | Oct 5, 2011 |
I was going to give this one 3 stars, because I didn't find the actual act of reading it as enjoyable as I would have liked. But in retrospect this is a pretty great autobiographical comic.This book is as much about memory as anything, which explains the repetition and the occasional disjointed feeling. It's roughly linear, but certain loops keep intruding. As a Queen fan only a few years younger than Dawson, I find it both frustrating and awesome that Freddie himself only appears in 3rd person and in shadow while George Michael gets a crap-ton of scenes real and imagined. Booo, George Michael! :DSometimes uncomfortable for me to read, but only because I'm so sensitive to cringing over adolescent awkwardness. Same reason I have such trouble getting myself to read most realistic YA fiction. ¡Me gusta! ( )
  Knicke | Feb 18, 2011 |
The artwork is well-done and easy-to-read, populated with appealing blobby caricatures. The book is a rambling wander, although an impressive achievement at over 300 pages.

Freddie & Me takes readers on a rock-opera-like journey, from Mike's childhood in the UK, through high school in New Jersey, and into the nineties, when grunge ruled the day and Queen was terminally uncool.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible