Blood Colony: A Novel by Tananarive Due

Blood Colony: A Novel

by Tananarive Due

I loved this book and I really like all that T. Due writes she is an awesome writer. I can't wait for the next book... ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
There's nothing I truly object to about this book, and I rather wanted to get through it, but we're not clicking. For one, it's hitting a couple of my "no thanks" buttons: the Special Child and Everyone Fears Death. Oh well.

Also, I see I've done it out of order. Oops.
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was pretty good. God enough that I would read the sequel, but not good enough to buy the sequel. ( )
  gregory_gwen | Dec 3, 2010 |
  LTFL_JMLS | Dec 3, 2010 |
It started slow but finished well. It's not a typical "vampire" novel although that's how I've seen it categorized. Immortals live in seclusion with some humans who have varying degrees of knowledge about the abilities of the immortals. All want (to varying degrees) to share the immortals' "living blood" to cure/heal humans of various afflictions so they do it carefully. On the street, it's known as glow and the government calls it a biological threat.

Fana, the main character is the child of an immortal and a human and is the first child born with the living blood and is worshiped by many of the other immortals. She doesn't know her own power. The antagonists are also immortal, but, of course, want to use their power for evil - ha, ha. A male child was born with the living blood and prophecy declares that he and Fana will marry and save the world or something like that. Only giving this 3 stars because it took so long to catch my attention and it was fairly predictable.

If you want to read a really incredible novel by Tananarive Due, check out Joplin's Ghost. 5 stars for that one! ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Oct 6, 2010 |
Jesus said "If you bring forth what is within you,what you bring forth shall save you. If you do not bring forh what is within you, what you do not forth shall destroy you." -Coptic Gospels, Gospel of Thomas
Don't wann' die for a while.

I think I'll fly for a while...

-Phoenix, "Gotta Fly"
For Octavia Estelle Butler

with love and gratitude

"All that you Touch, you Change."

(1947-2006)
After three days of waiting, Stefan was was told he could see his old friend.

Acclaimed for seven novels, ranging from supernatural thrillers to historical fiction, which have garnered her a multitude of fans and awards, Tananarive Due now imagines the story of an ancient group of immortals -- a hidden African clan that has survived for more than a thousand years -- facing one of the most challenging issues of our time: the AIDS/HIV pandemic.

There's a new drug on the street: Glow. Said to heal almost any illness, it is distributed by an Underground Railroad of drug peddlers. But what gives Glow its power? Its main ingredient is blood -- the blood of immortals. A small but powerful colony of immortals is distributing the blood, slowly wiping out the AIDS epidemic and other diseases around the world.

Meet Fana Wolde, seventeen years old, the only immortal born with the Living Blood. She can read minds, and her injuries heal immediately. When her best friend, a mortal, is imprisoned by Fana's family, Fana helps her escape -- and together they run away from Fana's protected home in Washington State to join the Underground Railroad.

But Fana has more than her parents to worry about: Glow peddlers are being murdered by a violent, hundred-year-old sect with ties to the Vatican. Now, when Fana is most vulnerable, she is being hunted to fulfill an ancient blood prophecy that could lead to countless deaths.

While her people search for Fana and race to unravel the unknown sect's mysterious origins, Fana must learn to confront the deadly forces -- or she and everyone she loves will die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:15 -0400)

There's a new drug on the street: Glow. Said to heal almost any illness, its main ingredient is blood--the blood of immortals. A small but powerful underground railroad of immortals is distributing the blood, slowly wiping out the AIDS epidemic. But the Glow peddlers are being murdered by a violent, hundred-year-old sect with ties to the Vatican. And the only immortal born with the Living Blood is being hunted to fulfill an ancient blood prophecy that could lead to countless deaths.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible