Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Live Bait by P. J. Tracy

Live Bait (2004)

by P. J. Tracy

English (25)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
Ok, but kind of boring. Also, the ending seemed to be a bit dragged out. The cops had solved the crimes but the book still went on and it just seemed like the authors had tacked an extra bit on the end just for the sake of it.
I don't think I'll be bothering to read the other books in this series. ( )
  26kathryn | Jul 22, 2013 |
2nd in the Monkeewrench series. Detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth are out to solve the murder of Morey Gilbert. A man with no apparent enemies. And the gang from Monkeewrench makes small appearances while working on their new software. An enjoyable read. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Mar 29, 2013 |
I received a copy as a giveaway from Goodreads. Some parts of the story would have made more sense if I had read the first book, but it is still a well-written novel for anyone interested in crime mysteries. ( )
  m_e_l_a_n_i_e | Aug 13, 2012 |
I did not like Live Bait nearly as much as the other books in the Monkeewrench series. There just seemed to be something lacking. Perhaps it was partly because Live Bait features Detectives Magozzi and Rolseth and the Monkeewrench crew is only marginally involved in the action. As much as I like the detectives, I think that Grace, Annie, Harley and Roadrunner are what make these books interesting. ( )
  wcath | Aug 21, 2010 |
I'm a bit annoyed by the author duo that is P.J. Tracy at the moment, even though I'm not sure it is even their fault. I took a different book by them on a trip and only when I opened it and started to read I realised I had read the book before, only two months ago, under a completely different title. I hate it when that happens. Even worse was that I had already read all other books I brought on the trip and I was stuck in a small town at the end of the world in which all shops were closed at 8 pm, even the railway station bookstore. I had to endure a 10 hour overnight train trip without anything to read because this book was renamed and published again. What a waste!
Despite my misdirected anger I ended up liking this book by the authors. I was in the mood for a thriller and that's what I got. Even better: they don't let all the good guys survive and kill off all the bad guys. I appreciate these little remains of darkness in an otherwise rather clean, tidy and American thriller.
  verenka | Jun 13, 2010 |
Do you know evil when you see it??
It was just after sunrise and still raining when Lily found her husband's body.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451214633, Mass Market Paperback)

Minneapolis detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth are bored - ever since they solved the Monkeewrench case, the Twin Cities have been in a murder-free dry spell, as people no longer seem interested in killing one another. But with two brutal homicides taking place in one awful night, the crime drought ends - not with a trickle, but with an eventual torrent. Who would kill Morey Gilbert, a man without an enemy, a man who might as well have been a saint? His tiny, cranky little wife, Lily, is no help, and may even be a suspect; his estranged son, Jack, an infamous ambulance-chasing lawyer, has his own enemies; and his son-in-law, former cop Marty Pullman, is so depressed over his wife's death a year ago that he's ready to kill himself, but not Morey. The number of victims - all elderly - grows, and the city is fearful once again." The detectives' investigation threatens to uncover a series of horrendous secrets, some buried within the heart of the police department itself, blurring the lines between heroes and villains. Grace MacBride's cold-case-solving software may find the missing link - but at a terrible price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:16 -0400)

When a friendly, well-loved, elderly main is murdered, St. Paul detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth look to the family for suspects. When more murders of elderly people follow, however, it begins to appear that the motives behind the murders may be much more sinister.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible