Escape from the Deep by Alex Kershaw

Escape from the Deep

by Alex Kershaw

Amazing true story, with an excellent reader, Richard Poe. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
This is the story of the men of the Uss Tang, a devastatingly effective Sub in WWII. The sub gets sunk in the Formosa Strait. 9 of the 87 survive. Some of the men were stuck on the bottom of the ocean and had to swim from the wreckage to the surface. Some 180 feet. The crew are the only people ever known to survive a sub crash using the Momsen lung.

One again Kershaw has taken some little known WWII story and turned it into a great story. ( )
1 vote JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Title: Escape From the Deep (The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine & Her Courageous Crew)
Author: Alex Kershaw
Pages: 270
Year: 2008
Publisher: Da Capo Press
My rating is us 5+ stars.
My first introduction to this author was through the Gary Sinise Foundation when he flew several WWII survivors and family members to the opening of The National WWII Museum. The author does an amazing job of detailing an incident that I don’t remember ever learning. The submarine was named The Tang and her crew was one of the most decorated in the submariner’s history as of the writing of the book. Alex Kershaw was actually able to talk to two members of the crew, who were well into their eighties, and did a lot of digging into the past with help from family members and others.
It’s hard to express what exactly sticks in my mind, because all of it does. These brave men were daring. Perhaps history should be taught more with books like this rather than from a textbook, because it makes it much more real. I would love to go the museum sometime though I am sure it would be an emotional journey, one I would never forget!
Until then, I highly recommend reading books that share about the lives of those in service to our country that we may never be able to thank because they are gone now. However, if we can share the stories of these brave men and their families, we can be reminded of the high cost our freedoms come with and be more thankful. Alex Kershaw has written other books and I plan to read more to share with my sons who love history too! I think Alex’s gift of sharing these true hero stories is wonderful as we sometime forget what a true hero is and isn’t in the society in which we live.
My deepest thanks to all who have, are and will serve in the armed forces!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 6, 2015 |
An excellent narrative of the story of the USS Tang, the most decorated, and successful submarine of WW2 which was sunk in the Formosa Straight by it's own torpedo in '44. Nine sailors were able to escape from the sunken vessel in 180 feet of water to be captured, tortured, and imprisoned by the Japanese. The book uses personal experiences of the survivors as well as official records to tell a very good story. ( )
  dswaddell | Sep 26, 2014 |

By October, 1944, the U.S. Navy submarine Tang was legendary-she had sunk more enemy ships, rescued more downed airmen, and pulled off more daring surface attacks than any other Allied submarine in the Pacific. And then, on her fifth patrol, tragedy struck-the Tang was hit by one of her own faulty torpedoes. The survivors of the explosion struggled to stay alive in their submerged “iron coffin” one hundred-eighty feet beneath the surface. While the Japanese dropped deadly depth charges, just nine of the original eighty-man crew survived a harrowing ascent through the escape hatch. But a far greater ordeal was coming. After being picked up by a Japanese patrol vessel, they were sent to a secret Japanese interrogation camp known as the “Torture Farm.” They were close to death when finally liberated in August, 1945, but they had revealed nothing to the Japanese-not even the greatest secret of World War II.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

Details the history of the U.S. Navy submarine Tang in the Pacific theater of World War II, the explosion that led to its sinking, the ordeal of its surviving crew members and their capture by the Japanese, followed by months of brutal captivity.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible