The Dark Room by Minette Walters

The Dark Room (1995)

by Minette Walters

English (13)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (16)
I read this book when it first came out in the mid 90's and images it evoked are still with me today more than 20 years later. Walters can write characters that are so well drawn they become indelible images of people known and touched even so briefly through her novels. Images of Jinx working in her studio still visit me when I think of rock groups. Images of the 'home' in which she awoke come to mind when modern facilities are mentioned in passing conversations. I found The Ice House to carry forward in my memory with the same intensity. The description of three women caring for and remodeling their home inspired me to follow in their footsteps so much so that I will be tearing my dishwasher apart later today. More than 20 years success with similar projects all started with Minette Walters ability to present characters who have touched my heart. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
A sometimes irritating novel, although I kept on reading to the end. The story revolves around Jinx, the daughter of a rich family that may or may not be dis functional, I kept flitting between the two. There are many questions and they are all answered at the end by something that appears out of the blue. Some of the conversation is stilted but a diverting enough read. ( )
  Tifi | Oct 20, 2017 |
Sledge hammer murders are not nice especially when they are your best friend, husband & lover. A mental asylum where she has to work out who she can trust or is she the problem. Suspense till the very end, I loved it. Repressed sex distorts people. ( )
  BryceV | Jul 28, 2017 |
In The Dark Room, by Minette Walters, photographer Jinx Kingsley wakes up in a private hospital from a week-long coma, only to learn that about a month before the wedding, her fiance had left her for her best friend and that she, Jinx, had apparently attempted suicide, presumably in response. Jinx can't remember what actually happened, but she's quite sure that she's not upset about the behaviour of her erstwhile fiance - indeed, she's relieved - and that she's not really the sort of person who would attempt suicide anyway. She enlists the aid of Dr. Alan Protheroe, the head of the private clinic where she is recovering from her injuries, in order to try to piece together what went on over the previous several weeks of her life, weeks that now seem to be missing.... Walters is a master of psychological suspense, and this novel provides yet more proof of that fact. She embues her characters with real humanity, both in good and bad aspects, and as a result her characters always feel quite real to the reader. At the same time, she teases the reader with snippets of information to help unravel the mystery at the heart of the story, and she always plays fair with the reader in terms of clues. In short, lots of fun to read; recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Dec 14, 2014 |
It's an enthralling story from the first page until the very last one. Jane is suffering from an amnesia after an assumed suicide attempt. She is staying at a privat clinic whereas outside the incidents are in a turmoil. The police is believing that Jane is responsible for all murders which have taken place in the long and short past and they are trying hard to find enough evidences to convict Jane for all those dark doings. While Jane's doctor is trying to protect her from everybody she runs into mischief because she is trusting in her own kinship and those of her friends and can't see the danger.
It also kept me guessing until the very end if Jane would find her new love in her doctor. ( )
  Ameise1 | Mar 9, 2013 |
'And we forget because we must / And not because we will.' (Absence, Matthew Arnold (1822-1888)
'The idea of the False Elf was put forward by R.D. Laing, adapting some theories of Jean-Paul Sartre. The false self was an artificially created self-image designed to concur with expectations, while the true self remained hidden and protected.' (Killing for Company, Brian Masters)
For Colleen

&

In memory of my father
With her sharp little face set in lines of dissatisfaction, the twelve-year-old girl sat up and searched for her knickers among the forest leaves.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277097, Paperback)

As readers of The Echo have already discovered, Walters knows how to spin a fine web of terror and psychological deception out of the most familiar ingredients. This brooding and engrossing book, just out in paperback, begins with that slightly frayed item of genre linen, the heroine waking up in a hospital and not remembering how she got there. But Walters quickly sets a lively, inventive table: not only has Jinx Kingsley forgotten her auto accident, but also the murders of her fiancé and her former best friend that preceded it. Of course Jinx didn't do it, and of course Walters will get her off the hook--or will she?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

In England, photographer Jinx Kingsley, a millionaire's daughter, is pulled from a bloody car wreck after her fiance, Leo, took off with her best friend, Meg. Suicide or a cover, wonders Superintendent Cheever. The same day saw the death of Leo and Meg in a manner resembling the death, some years earlier, of Jinx's husband, Russell, after his affair with Meg.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,413,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible