Colin and the Snoozebox by Leigh Hodgkinson

Colin and the Snoozebox

by Leigh Hodgkinson

Boris is just looking for a place to take a nap. Unfortunately he crawls into a box which sends him on a wild journey to many people who do not want a cat until he finds just the right place. The illustrations are mixed media which make this a book that you can spend a lot of time with.
  Boockk | Feb 1, 2014 |
Summary:
Bois is a cat that just wants to take a nap. He falls asleep in a box and ends up all over the world. Finally Boris finds a good home to sleep where he will be loved and feed.

Personal Reaction:
This is a very cute book. I really like the pictures and the story. Boris is just an ordinary cat wanting some love and attention.

Classroom Extentions:
1. Have the children talk about their pets.
2. Have them make a snooozebox and a paper cat to put in it.
  MollyWalker | Mar 27, 2011 |
This is the first adventure of Colin the Cat, the second being "Colin and the Wrong Shadow". Here we meet Colin, a stray cat, still a nap lover and looking for a cozy place to sleep. But when he finds a nice box where to take a nap, his travels begin... Ok. After reading this first episode (I read them in reverse order), I'm definitely in love with Colin. The details in the pictures are amazing, and although the use of patterns is less refined in this first Colin's book, the ingenious use of collage is spectacular - I particularly loved the earrings of the lady teapots collector. The story is pretty simple, but full of humour and surprises, I believe it will be enjoyable both for children and parents. The website is worth a visit [ http://www.wonkybutton.com/ ]. There's a special blog [ http://cattycolin.blogspot.com/ ], where readers can send photos of a cut-out Colin in the box, taken all over the world. I too couldn't resist the urge to download the cut-out Colin and box, although I haven't really printed and made it. Not yet.
  Lietta | Nov 9, 2010 |
The artwork in "Boris and the Snoozebox" is absolutely delightful. It's mixed media and is just the sort of thing that I think would stimulate anyone to trying to do something of their own in a similar vein. In style, it reminds me of Lauren Child of "Charlie and Lola" fame. And truly the book has that much visual appeal. Really a lot of fun!

Where's it's lacking though is in the plot department. There is a story -- Boris the cat doesn't have a home and he very much wants a comfy place to sleep, but unfortunately he chooses a box for his nap. The box gets shipped around the world and ends up in some surprising places. But unfortunately none of the openers of the box want a cat. That is, until he arrives at Grandma Flapjacks -- but unfortunately there's no real moral or anything to learn from the story. Which leaves me liking the book, very much on account of the fun artwork, but not loving it.

Talking Points:::
o Definitely LibraryFind here. The artwork is fun and the format is amusing.

o Elementary School-aged Kids will be entertained. It's a fun book to share. HOWEVER, while I do recommend it as LibraryFind, I can't recommend it for purchase because it's got no 'meat'.

o The busy font motif might be too much for very young children. This is one of those books where the font changes frequently, and where information is put in varying places.

**Above Average**
**No Reading-Level found**

Pam T~
mom and reviewer at BooksForKids-reviews.com ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Oct 2, 2009 |
The illustrations were great! It also has great storytime potential due to the wacky characters :-) Maybe a Caldecott? ( )
  rfewell | Jan 27, 2009 |
Colin: UK, Boris: USA

Boris is in desperate need of a long catnap. And a boring cardboard box seems to the perfect place for it. But the cat is suddenly packed up and mailed to many locations, none of which want a cat. After being sent to another planet, Boris suddenly escapes from the box into a wonderful new home.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,552,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible