Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Anathem (2008)

by Neal Stephenson

5,129188870 (4.21)1 / 282
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (Jesse_wiedinmyer, vnovak, szarka)
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: The plot and writing are really similar: a dense and complex mystery/thriller set in a monastery. The Name of the Rose is historical fiction, not sci fi, but if you enjoyed the complicated and weighty plot, Name of the Rose would also be good… (more)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Wova4)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (BriarE)
    The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse (bertilak)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (bertilak)
    bertilak: Miéville has written a philosophical science fiction novel that rocks and is not bloated: Stephenson please take note.
    The City & the City by China Miéville (chmod007)
    chmod007: Both novels depict coexisting-but-dissociated societies — drastically foreign to the world we live in — but help us reflect on it.
    The Clock of the Long Now by Stewart Brand (bertilak)
    Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: See the Name of the Rose recommendation above - I find Foucault's even more analogous here because Name of the Rose is a bit more plot-driven than the other two, where Foucault's and Anathem both have as much as 40% pure theory-disguised-as-dialogue.… (more)
    Excession by Iain M. Banks (elenchus)
    elenchus: Banks also introduces the "out of context" problem central to Anathem, but in a wildly different plot, and universe. Banks is less ontology and more space opera, but I found both books very entertaining, and both Stephenson and Banks sensitive to political questions raised by their respective plots.… (more)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (quartzite)
    quartzite: Both books deal with key groups of people preparing to meet alien cultures with a bit of theology and philosophy thrown in.
    Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (SiSarah)
    Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon (MarkYoung)
    Evolution's Shore by Ian McDonald (themulhern)
    themulhern: Another book in which the aliens appear with unknown motivations. Here, though, the context is a very contemporary Earth, and so the speculation is much more about the here and now. It spawned a series of which I have not read the rest.
    Relativity, space time and geometrodynamics by John Archibald Wheeler (bertilak)
    Finity by John Barnes (szarka)
    Parallel Worlds : A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Michio Kaku (bertilak)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (SiSarah)
    SiSarah: While Anathem is science fiction and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is historical fantasy, they share many themes in common (the nature and value of knowledge and study, the responsibilities of those who possess such knowledge, contact with a strange yet familiar "other" civilization). They both stretch the bounds of their genres and have deceptively simple plots that unfold slowly, and have great depth to the writing.… (more)

English (186)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (190)
If you like Stephenson, you may think that this is his best yet. Of his really long works, it was, at the time of writing, the one that relied least on an already more or less established history. In some ways it resembles his previous work Zodiac most closely; the story is told in the first person by a single narrator and there is an essential mystery component with clues unveiled rather cunningly. It allows plenty of scope for satire of our current society and for Stephenson's usual obsessions about culture and technology. There's a bit more about religion this time, but it's quite thought provoking and not as irritating as the little bits about religion in Cryptonomicon.

The protagonist is charmingly, or obtusely, unaware of his own extraordinary heroism. Perhaps that is due to his bond with the friends he has grown up with in the concent; they are equally heroic. ( )
  themulhern | Aug 20, 2014 |
Started, but did not finish. Need to re-visit.
  dgooler | Jul 1, 2014 |
It was hard to come up with a rating for Anathem... I couldn't decide between giving it 3 stars or 5, so I settled in the middle :)
I would give it 5 stars for its originality and its richness. I would give it 3 stars because the language was a barrier for me, I struggled a lot with it, and I didn't enjoyed it as much as I suppose I would have enjoyed it if English were my first language. ( )
  chaghi | Jun 1, 2014 |
Can't believe I ended up really liking this, but I ended up really liking this! The painfully slow introduction of an entire world history and philosophical viewpoint (literally) one definition at a time actually served a purpose and paid off in the end. I'll actually give this a second reading some day - I feel like there's a lot I missed because I was just not into it during the first 2/3rds of the book. ( )
  kwjr | May 18, 2014 |
I put off reading this book for quite a while, mostly due to its size and the fact that I was never able to get through Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. I'm glad I eventually took the plunge. Yes, Stephenson spends pages on exposition but I don't mind that at all when the world being explained is interesting and well-considered. I enjoyed the story too, which was a nice surprise as the back-cover synopsis also had turned me off. ( )
  ub1707 | May 5, 2014 |
Seen through the eyes of a young ascetic named Erasmas, the universe of “Anathem” and its properties are revealed methodically over hundreds of pages, and at first, there is much joy to be found in watching this plausible other reality assemble itself and in observing how it parallels our own.

Too much of the book is dominated by lengthy dialectical debates, whose conclusions are hardly earth-shattering (if you are reading this review, I suspect you already know how to divide a rectangular cake into eight equal servings) and which do little to promote a reader’s engagement with the characters of ­“Anathem,” any more than one cares about the interior lives of Pausanias or Eryximachus while reading “The Symposium.” What’s worse, the book’s fixation on dialogue leads Erasmas (and Stephenson) to simply tell us what is happening or has happened in pivotal scenes, instead of allowing us to see the events for ourselves through descriptive action.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Dave Itzkoff (Oct 17, 2008)

The only catch to reading a novel as imposingly magnificent as this is that for the next few months, everything else seems small and obvious by comparison.

Stephenson's world-building skills, honed by the exacting work he did on his recent Baroque Cycle trilogy, are at their best here. Anathem is that rarest of things: A stately novel of ideas packed with cool tech, terrific fight scenes, aliens, and even a little ESP.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Annalee Newitz (Sep 4, 2008)

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaMinor Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stutz, DavidComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverMinor Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
"Do your neighbors burn one another alive?" was how Fraa Orolo began his conversation with Artisan Flec.
"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

For ten years Fraa Erasmas, a young avout, has lived in a cloistered sanctuary for mathematicians, scientists, and philosophers, protected from the corrupting influences of the outside world. But before the week is out, both the existence he abandoned and the one he embraced will stand poised on the brink of cataclysmic change—and Erasmas will become a major player in a drama that will determine the future of his world, as he follows his destiny to the most inhospitable corners of the planet . . . and beyond.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:58 -0400)

Raz, a mathematician, is among a cohort of secluded scientists and philosophers who are called upon to save the world from impending catastrophe.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Anathem by Neal Stephenson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible