Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Anathem (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Neal Stephenson

5,345198820 (4.21)1 / 296
Member:leonardr
Title:Anathem
Authors:Neal Stephenson
Info:William Morrow (2008), Hardcover, 960 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (2008)

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Jesse_wiedinmyer, vnovak, szarka)
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: The plot and writing are really similar: a dense and complex mystery/thriller set in a monastery. The Name of the Rose is historical fiction, not sci fi, but if you enjoyed the complicated and weighty plot, Name of the Rose would also be good… (more)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (BriarE)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Wova4)
    The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse (bertilak)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (bertilak)
    bertilak: Miéville has written a philosophical science fiction novel that rocks and is not bloated: Stephenson please take note.
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: See the Name of the Rose recommendation above - I find Foucault's even more analogous here because Name of the Rose is a bit more plot-driven than the other two, where Foucault's and Anathem both have as much as 40% pure theory-disguised-as-dialogue.… (more)
    The City & The City by China Miéville (chmod007)
    chmod007: Both novels depict coexisting-but-dissociated societies — drastically foreign to the world we live in — but help us reflect on it.
    Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Clock of the Long Now by Stewart Brand (bertilak)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (quartzite)
    quartzite: Both books deal with key groups of people preparing to meet alien cultures with a bit of theology and philosophy thrown in.
    Excession by Iain M. Banks (elenchus)
    elenchus: Banks also introduces the "out of context" problem central to Anathem, but in a wildly different plot, and universe. Banks is less ontology and more space opera, but I found both books very entertaining, and both Stephenson and Banks sensitive to political questions raised by their respective plots.… (more)
    Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (SiSarah)
    Finity by John Barnes (szarka)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Cleaver use of neologisms and author created futuristic expressions and terminology. Also philosophical undertones.
    Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure by Michael Chabon (MarkYoung)
    Relativity, space time and geometrodynamics by John Archibald Wheeler (bertilak)
    Evolution's Shore by Ian McDonald (themulhern)
    themulhern: Another book in which the aliens appear with unknown motivations. Here, though, the context is a very contemporary Earth, and so the speculation is much more about the here and now. It spawned a series of which I have not read the rest.
    Parallel Worlds : A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Michio Kaku (bertilak)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (SiSarah)
    SiSarah: While Anathem is science fiction and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is historical fantasy, they share many themes in common (the nature and value of knowledge and study, the responsibilities of those who possess such knowledge, contact with a strange yet familiar "other" civilization). They both stretch the bounds of their genres and have deceptively simple plots that unfold slowly, and have great depth to the writing.… (more)

English (196)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (200)
This is an amazing book. Like Cryptonomicon, it's not an easy book to read, but that is what keeps it interesting. I love the world building, the way the characters interacted and the way the characters growed up. It has some extraordinaire dialogs featuring philosophical and mathematical discussions that keep geting more and more weird and interesting as you get deeper into the book.

Now, what's funny is that so far it seems like a soft science fiction book, as it's based on philosophy, but at it's core, it's a hard science fiction book, with description of mechanisms, and technical oriented characters as well as pure theoricians.

This book also features some invented words, but they are quite easy to follow up, even if you don't use the dictionary at the end and the reader's notes at the beginning. The book is completelly enjoyable and readable without those two things.

As with Cryptonomicon, when the story ends, Neil Stephenson adds some little extras, in this case full versions complete with graphics mentioned but not shown of didactic dialogs featured in the story

gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
This book was amazing; I had already loved Stephenson's other books (especially the baroque cycle and REAMDE) but this one was the best. I actually thought this plot was less twisted/con-fused than the others which made it easier to focus on the metaphysical aspects of this book (which were amazing). I know this is all speculative fiction but I'm almost considering a multi-cosmic approach to consciousness which is the biggest compliment I can give a book. I didn't thin the 1000 pages was nearly enough

Also, read the acknowledgment at http://www.nealstephenson.com/acknowledgments.html it gives a lot of good further books ( )
  Lorem | Jul 19, 2015 |
I managed to struggle through this to the end and so I give it 1* (not the ½* that I would have given it if I'd simply tossed it). This is nothing more than a fairly standard space opera with a lot of metaphysical claptrap thrown in to stretch it out to nearly 900 pages. ( )
  CurrerBell | Jun 5, 2015 |
Stephenson's books are perhaps the best advertisements for e-readers. With Anathem, Stephenson is trying to do a few things at once-create a world in which mathematical theory becomes something akin to a religion, write a first-contact story, and explore the alternative universe-possibilities inherent in quantum physics. I enjoyed reading the book if for no other reason than to see Stephenson try to knit the various pieces together. But if you can't deal with stephenson's two flaws--his long windup, and his endings (which usually require re-reading)--then this book isn't for you. ( )
  kspence | May 19, 2015 |
Well, I finally finished reading this book. Meh. I think Neal Stephenson should stick to Earth. The book just read as a contract filler. We've read other books, better written with the hapless main character caught up in events. Not his best. ( )
  fabooj | Feb 3, 2015 |
Seen through the eyes of a young ascetic named Erasmas, the universe of “Anathem” and its properties are revealed methodically over hundreds of pages, and at first, there is much joy to be found in watching this plausible other reality assemble itself and in observing how it parallels our own.

Too much of the book is dominated by lengthy dialectical debates, whose conclusions are hardly earth-shattering (if you are reading this review, I suspect you already know how to divide a rectangular cake into eight equal servings) and which do little to promote a reader’s engagement with the characters of ­“Anathem,” any more than one cares about the interior lives of Pausanias or Eryximachus while reading “The Symposium.” What’s worse, the book’s fixation on dialogue leads Erasmas (and Stephenson) to simply tell us what is happening or has happened in pivotal scenes, instead of allowing us to see the events for ourselves through descriptive action.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Dave Itzkoff (Oct 17, 2008)

The only catch to reading a novel as imposingly magnificent as this is that for the next few months, everything else seems small and obvious by comparison.

Stephenson's world-building skills, honed by the exacting work he did on his recent Baroque Cycle trilogy, are at their best here. Anathem is that rarest of things: A stately novel of ideas packed with cool tech, terrific fight scenes, aliens, and even a little ESP.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Annalee Newitz (Sep 4, 2008)

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaMinor Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stutz, DavidComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverMinor Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
"Do your neighbors burn one another alive?" was how Fraa Orolo began his conversation with Artisan Flec.
"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

For ten years Fraa Erasmas, a young avout, has lived in a cloistered sanctuary for mathematicians, scientists, and philosophers, protected from the corrupting influences of the outside world. But before the week is out, both the existence he abandoned and the one he embraced will stand poised on the brink of cataclysmic change—and Erasmas will become a major player in a drama that will determine the future of his world, as he follows his destiny to the most inhospitable corners of the planet . . . and beyond.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:01 -0400)

Raz, a mathematician, is among a cohort of secluded scientists and philosophers who are called upon to save the world from impending catastrophe.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Anathem by Neal Stephenson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,437,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible