Shout at the Devil by Wilbur Smith

Shout at the Devil (1968)

by Wilbur Smith

Until this month I had never heard of this author, even though he has written over 30 books. This book was published in 1968 and in the U.S. in 1977. I was unenchanted by the first half of the book, as the characters seemed woodenly drawn and preposterous (and they are). But the second half of the book is concerned with events after t he beginning of World War One and is fast-moving and intense. Since important people die one is unsure as to what will be the outcome of the daring action of he main character planting a bomb on a German cruiser being repaired. In the Rover Boys books (which the first part ot the book remineded me of), one always knew that the boys would survive and triumph. The outcome of this book could not be known and thus there is real tension as the story proceeds. There are also nice humorous touches, which add to the story's appeal. ( )
  Schmerguls | Apr 17, 2014 |
I won't bore anyone with a synopsis of what this book is about the jacket writers are far more qualified than I to impart that information. I will say that if you enjoy novels that give you a sense of chaos and energy and do not try to be to be too introspective whilst protraying the cruelties of life approaching WW1 then I think you'll enjoy this. The part of Flynn 'O' Flynn, portrayed brilliantly by Lee Marvin in the film, is brilliantly written and worth the read alone.

I've read every other Wilbur Smith book and have been extremely critical of his latest works. I'm so glad I completed my journey with this novel. Reading this reminded me why I enjoyed the majority of his earlier works so much and convinced me that it wasn't just a mistake in my thinking. This novel, is full of fun and subterfuge, great characterisation and a plot line that, whilst not actually totaly believable, has enough credibility to enable you to forgive and enjoy. Anyone who's seen the film of the same name will know the story, but should read it anyway, this is Wilbur Smith in his pomp and obviously having fun with his craft. I truly hope that he can produce another like this before he stops writing but if not, I must thank him for many a summers' read. I typically take a Wilbur Smith novel with me when going abroad for a week or two on holiday. It's been a few years since I enjoyed one of his books so much. ( )
  ChromiumDomium | Oct 21, 2011 |
Starting as broad comedy, this adventure becomes a bleak unfolding of the macabre. ( )
  TheoClarke | Jun 12, 2011 |
A bit far-fetched but an unputdownable read. All a work of fiction should be. ( )
  Novak | Nov 4, 2009 |
New Copy Required
  theflash | Jun 8, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312940637, Mass Market Paperback)

Wilbur Smith's adventure tales are big, bold and unforgettable. In SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, the New York Times bestselling master storyteller takes us to a brutal paradise engulfed in the fires of civilization's war...

A MAN ON HIS OWN
They couldn't be anymore different: an earnest young Englishman named Sebastian Oldsmith and an Irish American adventurer named Flynn O'Flynn who never encounters a rule he doesn't break. Fate brings them together in Zanzibar. A sadistic German turns them into allies, then into warriors.

A WOMAN IN LOVE
From the moment Rosa O'Flynn lays eyes on Sebastian, Rosa finds the man she would love forever--never mind what plans her father has for her. But imperialism is shaking Mozambique, where O'Flynn is the craftiest, fiercest beast in the jungle. And when Rosa and Sebastian lose what is most precious, they join a band of rogues, natives, wanderers, and hunters to start their own war against an enemy who has nothing to fear--and everything to lose...

A HUNT FOR THE MOST DANGEROUS PREY OF ALL
From the sound and sight of a charging bull elephant to ships ablaze on the Indian Ocean, this is a full throttle saga of survival--against nature, man, and the devil himself...

"Action is Wilbur Smith's game, and he is a master."
--The
Washington Post Book World

"[Wilbur Smith] puts the reader right there with details that are intimate, inspiring, horrifying…. Fans will be happy to know Smith hasn't lost his touch for the dramatic, exotic adventure story."
--The Orlando Sentinel

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:32 -0400)

On the eve of the First World War two freebooting adventurers - one a flamboyant Irish American, the other an impeccable young Englishman - pit their wits against the gross German Commissioner from whose territory they are making their living.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible