Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist…

Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution

by David R. Loy

651183,505 (4)1

I was more impressed by the early chapters of this book than its conclusion. I had a couple of moments of clarity brought about by Loy's description of some of the more difficult concepts/non-concepts in Buddhism, particularly regarding non-self, arising, and emptiness. I think that Loy points to a number of essential pieces in our understanding of the ways in which people interact around issues of power and control. But like many cases with a primarily structural analysis of the institutions of power, he deftly highlights the flaws, and calls our attention to the need to create new structures, but in the end provides us with few tools to bring about change outside of ourselves and our fellow meditators.

I also found his treatment of sex to be superficial, although this reflects a still troubled relationship with body that is not new to me in Buddhist teachings. I will suggest to the author that West-meets-East really needs to take a better look at feminism-meets-patriarchy to better address our ambivalence at the fact of being consciousness embodied.

I would recommend this book regardless as a component of cultural awakening and an exceptional example of both structural analysis of power and Buddhism-meets-western philosophy. ( )
  onthequest | Jun 21, 2010 |
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that's wisdom. When I look outside and see that I am everything, that's love. Between these two my life turns. -- Nisargadatta Maharaj
Now that Buddhism has come to the West, how are they changing each other?

David R. Loy has become perhaps the greatest advocate of the Buddhist worldview's ability to transform the sociopolitical landscape of the modern world. In this, his most accessible work to date, he offers clear presentations of oft-misunderstood Buddhist staples — the working of karma, the nature of self, the causes of trouble on both an individual and societal scale — while also inviting readers to examine topics closer to home, such as “Why We Love War” and the real reasons behind the sense of never having enough time, money, sex, security, or anything else. His “Buddhist Revolution” is nothing less than a radical change in the ways readers can approach their lives, the environment, the collective delusions that pervade modern culture, and even spirituality itself. Bracing yet ultimately hopeful and empowering, Money, Sex, War, Karma offers positive tools for contributing to societal change.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:14 -0400)

"This book offers insights into the causes behind worldwide troubles and why we all share a sense of "never enough" - whether it's time, money, sex, security, or on a cultural scale, even war. David Loy's "Buddhist Revolution" is a change in the way we approach our lives, our culture, our planet, and our future."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,123,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible