Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz

Fear Nothing (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Dean Koontz

Member:AlanDraven
Title:Fear Nothing
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:New York: Bantam Books, 1998 (1998), Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:Thriller

Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz (1998)

Prolific author Koontz appears unsure of where he was going with this effort as he vacillates between horror, suspense, philosophy, and at times humor in the style of Dave Barry. Page 163, discussing a stored nativity display, "One of the wisemen stood with his face in the bell of an angel's trumpet, and joseph appeared to be in conversation with a camel. Baby Jesus lay unattended....Mary sat with a beatific smile and an adoring gaze, but the object of her attention ....was a galvanized bucket. Another wiseman seemed to be looking up a camel's butt." Lots of funny parts in a story dealing with mutilations, mayhem and murder. Just did not feel right to me although it was interesting to read, but probably not for all the reasons the author intended. ( )
  brucemmoyer | Jun 5, 2015 |
Suspenseful, although sometimes the description of each scene made me impatient. The actual events in the story are no more sinister than those in the Odd Thomas series, but Odd Thomas has a lot more satire to brighten the story. For this reason, I think Fear Nothing is very good but not as good as the Odd Thomas books. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
Koontz frequently writes animals with human-like (or even more) intelligence. As a pet owner, I of course leap at the idea that my little kitty could understand me when I speak to her.

This book is the same--dogs, and for the first time, cats who are extremely intelligence.

There were parts of this book that were so dang scary I read them in broad daylight, but was so scared, I couldn't stand to keep reading OR put the book down.

However, past this (happening in the first hundred pages or so), I was let down that the rest of the book did not hold the same on-the-edge-of-my-seat reading. Hence, the earning of 3 stars. If it had kept the fast pace , it would easily have been four or maybe five stars. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Ok, so this book makes me want to hurry and read the other Koontz novels on my shelves. It was more that scary and left me thinking about some of the other ways that we are destroying ourselves and this beautiful planet…SMILE* ( )
  Madamxtra | Jul 5, 2014 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Szarabajka, KeithNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Robert Gottlieb for whose vision, genius, dedication, and friendship I am daily grateful.
On the desk in my candlelit study, the telephone rang, and I knew that a terrible change was coming.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579754, Mass Market Paperback)

If you think you've got it tough, meet Christopher Snow, the hero of Dean Koontz's novel Fear Nothing. Not only did his parents die under mysterious circumstances, but he's also being stalked by shadowy characters who want Snow to stop trying to find out how they died--or else they'll bump off his remaining loved ones (his supersmart, beer-lapping dog Orson; his best surfing buddy Bobby; and his late-night deejay girlfriend Sasha). And as if being on the lam in his own hometown, Moonlight Bay, California, isn't bad enough, Snow has to outrun his pursuers without leaving town. He has XP--xeroderma pigmentosum--a rare genetic affliction that forces him to avoid light. Cumulative exposure to sun, fluorescent lights, and the like will give him cancer eventually, and he doesn't dare leave the place where he's skillfully "done the mambo with melanoma" for all of his 28 years. Koontz makes the night-town of Moonlight Bay come alive in this sometimes pulse-pounding, sometimes funny, but mostly rather lyrical thriller. Fans of Koontz's legendary 1986 novel Watchers will love this book's similar theme: our hero and a loveable super-dog deal with a genetic engineering laboratory run amok. Horror fans will savor the evil mutant rhesus "millennium monkeys" who hunt Snow, the few scenes of eloquent gore, and the plight of certain mutating townsfolk who are, as they put it, "becoming" something very creepy.

Koontz gives Snow and Bobby a lingo that does for surfer talk what Austin Powers did for the Swinging '60s, and his metaphors are almost as madcap as Tom Robbins's: "As the chains of the swinging light fixture torqued, the links twisted against one another with enough friction to cause an eerie ringing, as if lizard-eyed altar boys in blood-soaked cassocks and surplices were ringing the unmelodious bells of a satanic mass." Sometimes Koontz's style goes over the top and wipes out, surfer-style, but for the most part, Fear Nothing will have readers bellowing "Cowabunga!"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

While investigating the death of his mother who was a scientist, Chris Snow discovers she was engaged in secret experiments on a nearby military base, experiments which went wrong and which produced monsters. The next he knows, the monsters come visiting and they are not friendly.… (more)

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,999,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible