The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry

The Charlemagne Pursuit

by Steve Berry

Series: Cotton Malone (4)

1,6322084,437 (3.42)118
    The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Cotton Malone, a retired Justice Department operative has more adventures than when on active duty.

English (205)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (208)
Of the 4 books I've read in the Cotton Malone series by Steve Berry, this has been the most disappointing. The style was choppy, the storyline was jumbled, a majority of the characters were unlikable (or just blah) and Cotton, himself, seemed to be a side story. You know it's bad when the best characters in the book are the bad guys who are on a continent half a world away from your actual hero.

Cotton has always wondered about his father who died in a submarine accident when Cotton was 10. There has never been a satisfactory answer -- let alone an actual body to bury. Cotton wants closure and uses his connection to the Magellan Billet to get access to the classified reports of the subs demise. However, the file is completely different from the fiction that Cotton has believed most of this life and he begins searching for answers.

Unfortunately (!) Cotton isn't the only one searching for answers and he has to team up with Dorothea and Christl Oberhauser - two women also seeking the truth behind their father's death aboard that ill-fated submarine. The search will take you from Denmark to Germany to France and Antarctica. Meanwhile, another drama is playing out in Washington DC involving Stephanie Nelle.

Rating: 3.25 stars ( )
  bhabeck | Feb 18, 2017 |
I was a little disappointed in this book as it was not as good as the first three in the series. It started out as an interesting concept about finding out what was going on in Antartica but too much was going on with the other stories and made the book too choppy. I liked learning about Charlemagne and all the history but was spoiled by the weird sisters and their mother being involved. I thought the ending was a bit anti-climatic because there's no way I believe what they found and too many people died in this story. It didn't seem like Cotton needed to be involved with that family. They were a waste of his time and energy. Here are a few points in order to make the next book better:
1. Steve Berry needs to write his own books as I can't believe he wrote this one.
2. He needs to pick one event in history and write a story about that instead of having too many storylines going on at the same time.
3. I like when Vitt and Thorvalsen are in the story and it worked before so don't change that.
4. Never have weird people in your book again, Steve, we don't like them.
I don't think this book was a total disaster but it was a bit long when you are not really enjoying all the people in the story. I will continue with the series as I think this book may be a bump in the road and things will smooth out in the future. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 17, 2017 |
[The Charlemagne Pursuit] by Steve Berry
#4 in the Cotton Malone Series
⭐⭐⭐

After the first few books in the series this one was a great disappointment! It seemed too long and too disjointed. The usual characters were missing (and were a big miss) and I didn't like the central characters in this book. Even Cotton seemed to show poor judgement and to be acting out of character. Hopefully they get back on track with the next book. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Feb 17, 2017 |
[The Charlemagne Pursuit] by Steve Berry
Cotton Malone series Book #4
3 ★'s

From The Book:
As a child, former Justice Department agent Cotton Malone was told that his father died in a submarine disaster in the North Atlantic. But what he now learns stuns him: His father’s sub was a secret nuclear vessel lost on a highly classified mission beneath the ice shelves of Antarctica.

Twin sisters Dorothea Lindauer and Christl Falk are also determined to find out what became of their father, who died on the same submarine–and they know something Malone doesn’t: Inspired by strange clues discovered in Charlemagne’s tomb, the Nazis explored Antarctica before the Americans. Now Malone discovers that cryptic journals penned in “the language of heaven,” conundrums posed by an ancient historian, and his father’s ill-fated voyage are all tied to a revelation of immense consequence for humankind. As Malone embarks on a dangerous quest with the sisters, he will finally confront the shocking truth of his father’s death and the distinct possibility of his own.

My Thoughts:
It's not a bad book by any means...but certainly is not the best of this series. If I had depended on the description alone in choosing the book it would have rated very high as the subject was something that I am very interested in. As it turned out the characters were very hard to keep up with since the author jumped around in the time elements as well as what was taking place with each character in so many different localities. The usual team that Cotton works with were nearly all absent except for Stephanie and she was scarce and really wasn't working with Cotton. If this had not been a group read...which always adds so much to a book...I have to confess I probably wouldn't have finished it. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 17, 2017 |
I usually like Berry's books and conspiracy theories, but found that by the end of this book I didn't care what happened anymore. It almost tries to hard to include too much, so even good old Cotton Malone couldn't save it for me. As hard as it tried, I had to try harder to get to the last page.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |

Steve Berryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ostrop, BarbaraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
--Confucius
The Ancient Masters were subtle, mysterious, profound, responsive.
The depth of their knowledge is unfathomable.
Because it is unfathomable, all we can do is describe their appearance.
Watchful, like men crossing a winter stream. Alert, like men aware of danger.
Courteous, like visiting guests. Yielding like ice about to melt.
Simple, like uncarved blocks of wood.
-- Lao-Tzu (604 BCE)
He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind.
-- Proverbs 11:29
For Pam Ahearn and Mark Tavani, Dream makers
November 1971
The alarm sounded and Forrest Malone came alert.

A mysterious manuscript discovered in the tomb of Charlemagne sends Cotton Malone on a perilous international quest that takes him and twin sisters with their own agenda from an ancient German cathedral to the harsh, unforgiving world of Antarctica in pursuit of the truth about the death of his father on a classified sub mission beneath Antarctica.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Steve Berry's book The Charlemagne Pursuit was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible