Dead Famous by Ben Elton

Dead Famous (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Ben Elton

Member:crimson-tide
Title:Dead Famous
Authors:Ben Elton
Info:Bantam Press (2001), Paperback, 279 pages
Tags:fiction, reality tv, satire, murder, mystery, england

Dead Famous by Ben Elton (2001)

Recently added byjo57, private library, Catigerine, Lilita1, cray7887, hoksanen, vivir, robjallen, LibraryOfRodAndCyn

English (20)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (23)
left by Carey's parents

17/06/08 not sure I'll finish this book

18/06/08 I did finish the book. It's pretty good as a whodunit, but the characters drove me crazy although I did learn some new British slang - who knew "bog" was slang for toilet?! We left North American before the whole reality tv fad started so although we've occasionally watched some episodes of the French versions, we've never really gotten into it and I have trouble understanding the appeal of either being on or watching such a show. ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
I am laying in bed, wedged firmly in between my two sleeping daughters (and one husband) desperately wishing I owned this book in ebook form.

Alas, I bought the hard copy and it is sitting in the lounge room where it will have to remain, unfinished, until tomorrow.

Can you tell I have enjoyed the book.

I have heard it said that Ben Elton becomes repetitive in his books. I have to agree, but I enjoy it, I love it. He has a way of mocking types of people by caricaturing them in his writing. He makes them overexcited, over zealous, amped, singular, unable to see past their own needs. This theme has carried through all three books that I have read... But I still enjoy it.

This particular story follows the police investigation of a murder in a "Big Brother" style television house. The story opens with the investigation underway as the detective-in-charge is familiarising himself with the contestants of the house, the suspects. It is a who-dunit with a twist, it isn't until half way through the book that we, the reader, learn exactly who was murdered and how they managed to do it under the gaze of cameras, producers, technicians, and a live Internet feed.

I can't wait to find out the end... Okay I can wait, but barely, and only because I have to get up early.

Ben Elton writes stories that are incredibly engaging, I love his caricatures. I am a fan of his books, and this book is no exception. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
While it is a bit dated I did enjoy this book despite not particularly liking any of the characters. Unfortunately it would appear I have read it previously as I knew who had done it (and why). ( )
  SpicyCat | Jan 5, 2013 |
The characters are clearly stolen from the first couple of series of Big Brother and not in a particularly sophisticated way. The author shoe-horns his pet rants and comedy routines into the plot. I found the lampooning of a TV series desperate to get some sex in, by writing a book with gratuitous sex scenes, rather hypocritical, but then sex sells. The who-dunnit is predictable, with one character after another set up as an obvious suspect; I worked out the solution long before it was revealed. Having said that, I did like the trick of not naming the victim until half way through - it really got you to focus on the characters. So, totally trashy and unoriginal, but I did rather like it, and it made me laugh. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jun 23, 2012 |
This was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm so glad she did, otherwise I would have missed a really good book.

A murder mystery take on Big Brother-type shows, Dead Famous centers around a group of contestants who have signed up to live in a house together, completing random tasks for rewards, getting to know each other, fighting, breaking down, and making up, all filmed for TV, all for the chance at fame and a half-million dollar prize. And then one of them is murdered, in the house, while a live internet audience watches. And even with millions of people watching, no one can tell who the killer is.

This book is not only a clever and engaging murder mystery, but also a really clever parody of and commentary on the reality television culture, and just how far people will go for their fifteen minutes of fame. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Apr 18, 2012 |
With thanks to:
In the UK: Andrew, Anna, Caroline, Claire, Craig, Darren, Mel, Nichola, Nick, Sada and Tom and Amma, Brian, Dean, Elizabeth, Bubble, Helen, Josh, Narinder, Penny, Paul and Stuart;
and in Australia: Andy, Anita, Ben, Blair, Christina, Gordon, Jemma, Johnnie, Lisa, Peter, Rachel, Sara-Marie, Sharna and Todd,
Without whom this novel would not have been written.
Television Presenter, television presenter, television presenter, television presenter, train driver.'

One house, ten contestants, thirty cameras, forty microphones, one murder...and no evidence.

One house, ten contestants, thirty cameras, and forty microphones. Everybody knows the rules—total strangers are forced to live together while the rest of the country watches them do it. However, on day 27, one of the housemates is killed on live TV. Who is the murderer? How did they manage to kill under the constant gaze of the television cameras? Why did they do it? And who will be next?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:31 -0400)

"One house, ten contestants, thirty cameras, forty microphones, one murder ... and no evidence"--P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,303,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible