Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of…

Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire… (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Kimberly Pauley

Member:booksrock94
Title:Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe)
Authors:Kimberly Pauley
Info:Mirrorstone (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages

Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley (2008)

I am reading the book right now, and it is so funny, amusing and I can't stop laughing, I ♥ Mina, she is one funny vamp (if she wanted to turn, I am not sure yet).
I am ♥ing this book more and more!! can't wait to read the next book!! Uncle Mortie is hilarious and extremely amusing!! he makes me laugh a lot!! if I could I would give this book 10 ★s!! I just ♥ed so much! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire
by Kimberly Pauley
Sucks to Be Me #1

As if being a junior in high school isn't hard enough. Mina Hamilton (yes, named after THE Mina in Stoker's Dracula), has always known that both of her parents are real-life vampires. No way, right? She's just learned, however, that they've been keeping her a secret from the Vampire Council so they wouldn't be forced to be separated from her (humans aren't supposed to know about the vampire thing). Time has run out. She's been discovered, and now Mina herself must make the decision of becoming a vampire as well...or else.

This is a cute story told in the voice of Mina herself, a normal teenage girl, figuring out the nuances of dealing with her peers, boys, school, etc., and also traversing the gravelly walk of making a life-altering decision in a short amount of time.

I liked it, although I did obviously feel too old for it. I think this would really be enjoyed by the age group it was written for. The references to Tarantino, Donnie Darko, etc., sounded like they came out of my own teenagers' mouths. In fact, the killer rabbit from Monty Python was brought up by my son tonight in reference to a video game he plays (Fallout). :) ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Jan 5, 2016 |
While it is a fun read, with lots of humor and cool characters, I can't say it's one of my favorite vampire books. Mina is pretty okay, though a bit of an airhead, and her family (including Serena) is pretty awesome. Nathan and George are both awesome as well, though perhaps a little unrealistically so.

The plot is certainly original. There really isn't much action or danger or anything that is typically in, well, any book. It's all very laid back. But while Kimberly Pauley gets points for creativity, there are still some things that annoy me.

First of all: making Mina decide to be a vampire when she's only a junior in high school. That just seems mean. Why would anyone want to be stuck in a sixteen year old body for the rest of their life? It is mentioned that the rest of the young potential vamps are all a bit older, so maybe Mina is an exception because of her family situation. But still.

Also, Mina is really an airhead.

But all that aside, it's not a bad book. It's a light, quick, humorous read about vampires, but in a good way. It's got a touching little theme about family and friendship. Enjoyable, but not buyable. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 6, 2014 |
my kind of vampire book a main character with a lot of attitude and sass and who really believes in the vampire stuff anyway? ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
This is a moderate vampire book. It isn't the best, but it is funny. ( )
  repplinger | Aug 20, 2012 |
To my husband Tony, for everything, and my niece Rachael, for being my first reader. And also to Terry, for opening a door, and to my editor Nina, for being on the other side.
My parents are trying to ruin my life.

This is a Young Adult Book.

Mina is a 17-year-old girl who has known since she was 10 that her parents were vampires, but it hasn't really affected her average suburban life. True, they don't exactly love sunbathing, and they don't sleep, and they forget to eat, but Mina has adjusted to all that. But the Vampire Council didn't know that Mina existed, and now that they know, she has to attend Vampire Sessions and her weird Uncle Mortimer is her sponsor.

Worst of all, she has just 4 weeks to decide if she wants to become a vampire or not. She slowly learns all the things about the vampire life that her parents never told her, in order to give her a normal upbringing. On top of all that, there's a trio of cute to gorgeous boys that seem to suddenly be interested in her. This book is Mina's journal, and Mina never met a situation that couldn't use a good pro and con list along with little chapter header stickers of vampires myths and the truth as Mina sees it.

Mina Hamilton's parents want her dead. (Or undead to be precise.) They're vampires, and like it or not, Mina must decide whether to become a vampire herself. But Mina's more interested in hanging out with best friend Serena and trying to catch the eye of the too-hot-for-high-school Nathan Able than in the vampire training classes she's being forced to take. How's a girl supposed to find the perfect prom date and pass third-year French when her mom and dad are breathing down her neck--literally?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

When sixteen-year-old Mina is forced to take a class to help her decide whether or not to become a vampire like her parents, she also faces a choice between her life-long best friend and the boy she has a crush on versus new friends and possible boyfriends in her mandatory "vampire lessons."… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kimberly Pauley's book Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Kimberly Pauley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,255,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible