Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by…

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jonathan Safran Foer

Member:luceroma
Title:Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Authors:Jonathan Safran Foer
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:literature, 9-11

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (2005)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (gward101)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (Anonymous user)
    The Tower by Uwe Tellkamp (Esther1987)
    The Tin Drum by Günter Grass (jenn_the_eskimo)
    Don't Let Me Be Lonely: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine (Maiasaura)
    The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The precocious young narrators in each of these novels embark on journeys alone, providing illustrations to enhance their complex narratives, which include family history as well as current concerns. T. S. travels across the U.S, while Oskar travels throughout New York City.… (more)
    The Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz (sdrayzen)
    The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Sorrows of an American by Siri Hustvedt (Cecilturtle)
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (Bici47)
    Vatten by Martin Cathcart Frödén (Anonymous user)
    Falling Man by Don DeLillo (Bici47)
    The Wine of Youth by John Fante (helio_)
    Pay it Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde (JeremyFine)
    JeremyFine: Both of these books use perspective changes by chapter. And also, both of them have a child on a seemingly impossible, yet still realistic, mission for them to complete.
    The Shack by William P. Young (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Another story of searching for meaning after personal tragedy and questioning why bad things happen.

English (345)  Dutch (12)  French (5)  Danish (5)  Swedish (3)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (375)
This is a witty and interesting book.
My only issue is that Oskar is too precocious for some of the situations. ( )
  jenngv | Jun 25, 2015 |
He had me page after page 'til the end but since the story is meaningless it is no wonder that the end was as he made it. There is no real answer to tragedy of course. I thought Foer tracked as close as he could to saying that the American bombing of Dresden was as incomprehensible and tragic as was an Islamist attack on 3000 civilians, that is, "we" are as implicated in the mess as anybody. ( )
1 vote ted_newell | Jun 20, 2015 |
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Fiction
In this new book, Foer illuminates the complexity of grief and the injury of being left a survivor. Body counts don't take into consideration the devastation launched by monumental tragedy or the ripple effect that can wreak havoc through generations. Meet Oskar Schell, inventor, writer, and precociously charming nine-year-old. Join him on his pilgrimage of healing from the loss of his father on 9/11. Oskar's need to make sense of his world is going to magnify his hope and imagination and delight anyone who meets him. While the subject matter is dark, juxtaposing the firebombing of Dresden and 9/11, the unwavering quest of an undefeated boy never lets the reader down.
Recommended by Geo, April 2005
  dawsong | Jun 12, 2015 |
Usually when I review a book, be it on Goodreads or in my head, I'm drawn to point out what I think the book is really about--the themes underlying it, what you'll think about lying in bed the night after you finish the last few pages.

For this book, I couldn't.

Foer's prose was awesome, yeah. And the story itself was interesting and kept me wondering what was going to happen.

And then.

Nothing. Nothing happened.

The ending was so completely unfulfilling to me. I was ready to cry with Oskar or to rejoice once I found out the puzzle, and in the end I just put the book down, did a quick Google search to see if I was missing anything extremely obvious and meaningful (sadly, I wasn't), and wondered what all of the hype was about.

It was a decent book, I'll give it that much. It was a quick read, I love the way that Foer experimented with the words and pictures on the page, and the idea was very interesting. He tried to make it all very meaningful and important but I just didn't connect on that level. To me some of the stuff he said just seemed surface, like he was trying too hard--way too hard--to create some super mega intense meaning out of a kid eating breakfast with his mother.

Maybe that's his point, but I don't know. I just didn't really get it. ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
I thought this was a fantastic book. It was easy to read but very thought-provoking and even mysterious at times. Throughout the story you begin to feel attached to the characters and the tasks they have set before them.
Connecting this book to a curriculum would not be too difficult, but might be met with some resistance. There is some profanity used and some sexual situations, although not overly graphic. It could be used in a high school English course in the context of recent history. ( )
1 vote LFerda | Mar 11, 2015 |
The bigger problem is that Foer never lets his character wander off without an errand.

In fact, there is hardly a line in this book that has not been written for the purpose of eliciting a particular emotion from the reader. The novel is a tearjerker. ...The skepticism and satire that marked the best parts of Everything Is Illuminated are nowhere in evidence here.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Keith Gessen (pay site) (Sep 25, 2005)

The search for the lock that fits a mysterious key dovetails with related and parallel quests in this (literally) beautifully designed second novel from the gifted young author (Everything Is Illuminated, 2002). The searcher is nine-year-old Oskar Schell, an inventive prodigy who (albeit modeled on the protagonist of Grass's The Tin Drum) employs his considerable intellect with refreshing originality in the aftermath of his father Thomas's death following the bombing of the World Trade Center. That key, unidentified except for the word "black" on the envelope containing it, impels Oskar to seek out every New Yorker bearing the surname Black, involving him with a reclusive centenarian former war correspondent, and eventually the nameless elderly recluse who rents a room in his paternal grandma's nearby apartment. Meanwhile, unmailed letters from a likewise unidentified "Thomas" reveal their author's loneliness and guilt, while stretching backward to wartime Germany and a horrific precursor of the 9/11 atrocity: the firebombing of Dresden. In a riveting narrative animated both by Oskar's ingenuous assumption of adult responsibility and understanding (interestingly, he's "playing Yorick" in a school production of Hamlet) and the letter-writer's meaningful silences, Foer sprinkles his tricky text with interpolated illustrations that render both the objects of Oskar's many interests and the memories of a survivor who has forsworn speech, determined to avoid the pain of loving too deeply. The story climaxes as Oskar discovers what the key fits, and also the meaning of his life (all our lives, actually), in a long-awaited letter from astrophysicist Stephen Hawking. Much more is revealed as this brilliant fiction works thrilling variations on, and consolations for, its plangent message: that "in the end, everyone loses everyone." Yes, but look what Foer has found. Film rights to Scott Rudin in conjunction with Warner Bros. and Paramount; author tour.
added by cmwilson101 | editKirkus Reviews

For
NICOLE,
my idea of beautiful
What about a teakettle?
I wondered for the first time in my life, if life was worth all the work it took to live. What exactly made it worth it?
So many people enter and leave your life! Hundreds of thousands of people! You have to keep the door open so they can come in! But it also means you have to let them go!
Shyness is when you turn your head away from something you want. Shame is when you turn your head away from something you do not want.
Time was passing like a hand waving from a train I wanted to be on.
Everything was a clue.

This is story of Oskar Schell. His dad was in the 9/11 tragedy and Oskar is still recovering from the loss of his father and the guilt for having not answered the phone when his dad called. ELIC follows Oskar's adventure through New York looking for the lock he believed was left behind for him to find. It is a story of healing not only for Oskar but also for the people in his life and the people he meets along the way.

I really really liked this book. It was a style completely different from anything I had read before. It made me cry. That's why it doesn't 5 stars. It was a really good story and I'm glad I bought it.

Nine-year-old Oskar Schell has embarked on an urgent, secret mission that will take him through the five boroughs of New York. His goal is to find the lock that matches a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11. This seemingly impossible task will bring Oskar into contact with survivors of all sorts on an exhilarating, affecting, often hilarious, and ultimately healing journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:34 -0400)

A new novel by the author of Everything Is Illuminated introduces Oskar Schell, the nine-year-old son of a man killed in the World Trade Center bombing who searches the city for a lock that fits a black key his father left behind. Jonathan Safran Foer emerged as one of the most original writers of his generation with his best-selling debut novel, Everything Is Illuminated. Now, with humor, tenderness, and awe, he confronts the traumas of our recent history. What he discovers is solace in that most human quality, imagination. Meet Oskar Schell, an inventor, Francophile, tambourine player, Shakespearean actor, jeweler, pacifist, correspondent with Stephen Hawking and Ringo Starr. He is nine years old. And he is on an urgent, secret search through the five boroughs of New York. His mission is to find the lock that fits a mysterious key belonging to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11. An inspired innocent, Oskar is alternately endearing, exasperating, and hilarious as he careens from Central Park to Coney Island to Harlem on his search. Along the way he is always dreaming up inventions to keep those he loves safe from harm. What about a birdseed shirt to let you fly away? What if you could actually hear everyone's heartbeat? His goal is hopeful, but the past speaks a loud warning in stories of those who've lost loved ones before. As Oskar roams New York, he encounters a motley assortment of humanity who are all survivors in their own way. He befriends a 103-year-old war reporter, a tour guide who never leaves the Empire State Building, and lovers enraptured or scorned. Ultimately, Oskar ends his journey where it began, at his father's grave. But now he is accompanied by the silent stranger who has been renting the spare room of his grandmother's apartment. They are there to dig up his father's empty coffin.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,398,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible