The New Avengers: The Trust by Brian Michael…

The New Avengers: The Trust (2008)

by Brian Michael Bendis

Reading this four years after the fact underscores how chaotic and upturned Marvel has gotten with their characters and properties. Yes, this was an interesting read, but having read snippets of things that came from this and other plotlines just shows me how much marketing is valued over story and such.

This book made sense and was gripping if you were already a Bendis-Avengers fan; if you were coming to this cold (as I always was taught--"treat every issue like someone's first issue"), you'd be totally confounded and likely to never pick up a comic book again. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
I found myself wondering why I'm still reading this title several times during this collection. The art isn't very good - it's very sketchy and dark, and it's hard to tell what's going on sometimes. There's also a ton of filler - splash pages of fights with people screaming "argh" and "ugh" go on and on and on. And Bendis...I am not sure what is going on with him.

The Hood is, theoretically, an interesting character, and I'm looking forward to seeing him more in the Marvel Universe.

Tigra made a few guest appearances in these issues. I like the character fine, although she isn't a favorite, but she was treated horribly. Almost every scene she was in ended with her getting beaten up by various bad guys - and I'm not talking about a bruise here or there, but literally getting the crap beaten out of her. It was getting to the point that I was getting so angry with how the character was being treated that I had to put the book down.

Honestly, I don't like how any of the female characters are being written. Jessica Drew is threatened while naked in the shower. Tigra is beaten up several times, and always in varying states of undress. Jessica Jones might as well not even be in the book. Echo is barely mentioned, and when she is, she's in pain or needs help. Is it too much to hope for a strong female character in this line-up?

The only thing that keeps me reading is Clint Barton at this point, but he doesn't have a lot of face time. ( )
  schatzi | Jan 30, 2010 |
Collects New Avengers #32-37 and Annual #2.
a lot of crazy chaotic stuff happens in this book
The illustrations of the women got really old really fast, they were so sexist. Even the way the guys were drawn was weird. ( )
1 vote angellreads | Jul 15, 2008 |
Please do not combine The New Avengers: The Trust with The New Avengers Deluxe, Volume 7 which is an omnibus.

The New Avengers have found a huge clue to the threat that has faced them since the day they banded together. And now just the knowledge of that threat is tearing them apart. What secret could be so damning that it could do to the New Avengers what the Civil War could not?? Collects New Avengers #32-37 and Annual #2.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:09 -0400)

The New Avengers have found a huge clue to the threat that has faced them since the day they banded together - but just the knowledge of that threat is tearing them apart. What secret could be so damning that it could do to the New Avengers what the civil war could not?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,594,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible