Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams

Stone of Farewell (1990)

by Tad Williams

Series: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (2)

3,510261,510 (4.02)1 / 75

#ReturnToOstenArd: Re-read this as part of a bookstagram group-read with Tange, Jacob & Nadine in anticipation of the Witchwood Crown coming out in June 2017!

23/5/17: Annnnd I'm done! Not going to stop to write anything atm as it will be mostly fangirling as per the review for Dragonbone Chair. Used mostly my ebook version to get through this one as well - I will stick a review on the ebook version later on too (urgh - so many mistakes Hachette UK!) - I also need to add a new edition for the Google Play version of the ebook for Stone of Farewell - don't feel like doing it now as I would have to get into the logistics of working around keeping the review for the paperback and the ebook separate? Hmm. And those reading dates. Argh.

Anyhow - To Green Angel Tower we go!!! ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Ik hou er niet zo van dat er zo gesprongen wordt tussen hoofdfiguren binnen een hoofdstuk. maat dat is niet zo'n groot probleem. ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
Tad William's slow but immersive writing style does a wonderful job of painting a picture of a scene in your mind and sometimes even animating it. I recall a scene where they are travelling by a river in particular. Unfortunately this comes at the expense of plot progression and I'm reliably informed this is the worst of the four books in this regard.
Tad's imagine world is certainly not lacking in depth and contains enough mystery and character interest to make me want to finish the series. It is just as well the pace is said to pick up in the next two books.
Perhaps the whole of the story will be greater than the sum of all four books, time will tell. ( )
  AdrianGHilder | Feb 22, 2017 |
This series continues to hold up very well as a re-read. You can see Simon being shaped into the man he needs to be.

Williams does a good job with the pacing of his character/plot lines. You get enough from each character and then move on to another. No whiplash or yawns. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
better than its predecessor,[b:The Dragonbone Chair|91981|The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)|Tad Williams|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309286899s/91981.jpg|840191]. Simon is growing up, fast. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Tad Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . Of all the many changing things

In dreary dancying past us whirled,

To the cracked tune that Chronos sings,

Words alone are certain good.

Where are now the warring kings,

Word be-mockers?—By the Rood,

Where are not the warring kings?

An idle word is now their glory,

By the stammering scholboy said,

Reading some entangled story:

The kings of the old time are dead;

The wandering earth herself may be

Only a sudden flaming word,

In clanging space a moment heard,

Troubling the endless reverie.

—William Butler Yeats
  (from The Song of the Happy Shepherd)

This series is dedicated to my mother, Barbara Jean Evans, who taught to me a deep affection for Tad Hall, the Hundred Aker Woods, the Shire, and many other hidden places and countries beyond the fields we know. She also induced in me a lifelong desire to make my own discoveries, and to share them with others. I wish to share these books. with her.
Even in the cave, where the crackling fire sent gray fingers of smoke up to the hole in the stony roof, and red light played across the wall carvings of twining serpents and tusked, staring-eyed beasts, the cold still gnawed at Simon's bones.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886774802, Mass Market Paperback)

In this mesmerizing sequel to The Dragonbone Chair, best-selling author Tad Williams, returns us to the troubled realms of humans, Quanuc trolls, and Sithi, as the dark magic and terrigying minions of the undead Sithi ruler, Ineluki the Storm King, spread their seemingly undefeatable evil across the realm of Osten Ard.

As the very land is blighted by the power of Ineluki's wrath, the tattered remnants of a once-proud human army flee in search of a last sanctuary and rallying point —THE Stone of Farewell, a place shrouded in mystery and ancient sorrow. And the widely scattered surviving members of the League of the Scroll desperately struggle to fulfill missions which will take them from the fallen citadels of humans to the hidden mountain caves of the Qanuc...across storm-tormented waters to discover the truth behind an almost-forgotten legend...through a forest alive with dangers no human could hope to brave...to the secret heartland of the Sithi, where the near-immortals must at last decide whether to ally with the race of men in a final war against those of their own blood....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:48 -0400)

As the wrath of Ineluki covers the land, the tattered remnants of a once proud human army flee in search of a sanctuary at the Stone of Farewell.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible